Varta(jci) vs east penn battery

I have to purchase an h8 battery today. I have a it narrowed down to two choices. I can go to Walmart and get an h8 battery that is supplied by Johnson Controls but I believe is made by Varta in Germany or I can go to Sams Club and get a Duracell which is made by East Penn. East Penn is my favorite battery manufacturer but I was not sure in this case if maybe Varta is better as the h8 is a size that is used in a lot of German cars and seeing as Varta is a German manufacturer maybe they have more experience making quality h8 batteries?

What makes you think the Walmart battery is made in Germany?

Consumer Reports testing had the non AGM Duracell scoring 81/100 while the EverStart MAXX-H8 scored only 56/100.

What makes you think the Walmart battery is made in Germany?

Consumer Reports testing had the non AGM Duracell scoring 81/100 while the EverStart MAXX-H8 scored only 56/100.
I cant actually verify its made in germany as i have not gone to the store to look at it in person. I am just going off of the research i have done online. I have read a few posts about the walmart h8 being made by varta in germany and then sold in walmart as a jci product as jci bought varta.

Really regardless of where its made what is the general opinion of varta vs east penn? Right now i think im going to purchase the duracell battery i just want to know if there are some common problems im not aware of with varta or east penn batteries.

I have to purchase an h8 battery today. I have a it narrowed down to two choices. I can go to Walmart and get an h8 battery that is supplied by Johnson Controls but I believe is made by Varta in Germany or I can go to Sams Club and get a Duracell which is made by East Penn. East Penn is my favorite battery manufacturer but I was not sure in this case if maybe Varta is better as the h8 is a size that is used in a lot of German cars and seeing as Varta is a German manufacturer maybe they have more experience making quality h8 batteries?
I seriously doubt that WalMart has anything made by Varta as its products are way higher than what WM generally pays, but there is nothing wrong with East Penn/Deka made batteries, IMO they are some of the best N.A. made batteries.

Walmart doesn't carry Varta, it's their own in house brand but JCI/Clarious probably makes it. Are you talking about a regular battery or AGM? While Walmart lists AGM batteries online, some stores just don't carry them.

Ok ok ok yes I am probably wrong on varta being the manufacturer of walmarts h8 battery. I am going to shop around for an east penn h8

Interesting.

The anecdotal reports of the OE Made in Germany batteries in Mercedes etc are very positive.
Probably a couple reasons. One is that they use AGM batteries. The one in my 2008 E-350 is about 13 years old. It's in the trunk though and doesn't get blasted by the heat from the engine. My 2011 E-350 is in the engine bay though. But it's in the upper left next to the passenger firewall so it has some metal barrier between the engine and battery so maybe it doesn't get as hot. About 10 years on that battery.

Interesting.

The anecdotal reports of the OE Made in Germany batteries in Mercedes etc are very positive.
I had one in my MB and when I had it replaced with a new one by the MB dealer the cost with installation was ca$750.
That's why I said that it was unlikely that WM would carry this product no matter the name on it as long as long as it's made by Varta.
BTW Varta is an excellent battery!

Probably a couple reasons. One is that they use AGM batteries.
Not all were AGM. I seem to remember some saying they got 10 years on the regular OE ones. I got 7 years on mine and it was neglected.

I had one in my MB and when I had it replaced with a new one by the MB dealer the cost with installation was ca$750.
Yikes! Over here, MB Roadside assistance were installing batteries for well under $200 total. Dealers were definitely more.

Have a Duracell from Sam's club in my wife's Mazda. Been in it 4 years now and still works great. Checked the acid level in the cells at last oil change and none needed or has ever been needed. Bought one for my sister's Mazda last year and it is also doing good.

Batteries Plus here is a east penn dealer, basically.

im a big fan of trunk-mounted batteries. I prefer the handling, and the heat benefits are good too. Rear seat floor pan is a good spot too.

Varta are excellent batteries! Found as OE in European vehicles. Hard to find in the states from a retailer.

Back