New interstate batteries at Costco

talked to the Costco tire guy about the warranty and why its where it is now. He said too many folks were bringing perfectly good ones in and getting new ones close to when the replacement warranty would end . Costco has no way to check them so they just get a new one . Costco don't care because its billed back to supplier anyways .

like computer return abuse a decade earlier, abuse of the return policy killed the battery warranty

I was at Costco yesterday and the employee in the tire section couldn't really explain the warranty to me other than it had changed...and his information wasn't even correct with that...disappointing...

on the other hand I was at two Walmart stores yesterday and both in the Chicagoland area had Everstart batteries that showed Clarios made both by their sticker and the JC in the serial number...

Good luck with your choice...the Costco Interstate I bought in late June 2023 still has the full replacement for 3 year warranty no longer offered by Costco so my choice would either be an Everstart battery of for an upcoming battery replacement (based on time in service) for a 2013 Malibu 2.0T, a Menards labeled A/C Delco battery (Korean made IIRC)

Bill

talked to the Costco tire guy about the warranty and why its where it is now. He said too many folks were bringing perfectly good ones in and getting new ones close to when the replacement warranty would end . Costco has no way to check them so they just get a new one . Costco don't care because its billed back to supplier anyways .

like computer return abuse a decade earlier, abuse of the return policy killed the battery warranty

These are probably the same people who don't return their shopping carts.

So far, 51r and 35 only.

72689017736__A73E8699-D5A0-4C49-8482-768747F7BE21.jpeg

IMG_7059.jpeg

Are the latest Interstate batteries sold at COSTCO now made by Exide instead of Clarios? The batteries in your photos sure look like the current Exide batteries with the fold-down integrated carrying handle. If so, I'd look elsewhere for an East Penn or Clarios battery!

1705199355075.jpg

Are the latest Interstate batteries sold at COSTCO now made by Exide instead of Clarios? The batteries in your photos sure look like the current Exide batteries with the fold-down integrated carrying handle. If so, I'd look elsewhere for an East Penn or Clarios battery!

View attachment 198327
Is there something wrong with these?

Is there something wrong with these?
Absolutely...Exide batteries have a very deserved reputation of being garbage...especially when compared to East Penn and Clarios batteries. I used to buy top of the line Exide batteries in the '90's and early 2000's and never got more than 3 years before they died. Also leaked acid from both terminals after a year.

As a result of those experiences, I switched to Johnson Controls (now Clarios) ~15 years ago and have subsequently moved on to East Penn over the past 5 years.

I think like many places it will depend on where you are located...the Costco stores near ChicagoLand appear to be Clarios made from what I've seen...

Bill

You might be right or maybe Interstate is sourcing certain group sizes from Exide vs. Clarios. If you look at the The Critic's picture of the group 35 battery, you can see Clarios made batteries on the right side of the rack.

View attachment 198327
You might be onto something:

IMG_7302.png

I wonder if new labels are coming…or if there is an outside vendor who is supplying cases to everyone?

Absolutely...Exide batteries have a very deserved reputation of being garbage...especially when compared to East Penn and Clarios batteries. I used to buy top of the line Exide batteries in the '90's and early 2000's and never got more than 3 years before they died. Also leaked acid from both terminals after a year.

As a result of those experiences, I switched to Johnson Controls (now Clarios) ~15 years ago and have subsequently moved on to East Penn over the past 5 years.
Looking at Consumer Reports (and my own experience) no brand has an exceptional reputation across all the sizes and models. For example, East Penn in some sizes, tested well at CR, and in others like Group 35 the East Penn Deka Intimidator AGM was one of the lowest rated. This is the case pretty much with all brands. Good in some sizes, average or mediocre in other sizes.

Personally, I purchased a Duracell (East Penn) flooded in Group 49 and went for 5 years, no problem, then I preventively replaced it with a RayoVac (East Penn) flooded Group 49 and it failed to hold a charge in less than two years...got a replacement from Batteries Plus and same thing...less than two years and not holding a charge. I currently have an AC Delco AGM group 49 at five years and still exceeds its 900 CCA rating.

This was the problem with the TVs. People would return perfectly good TVs and get a bigger one and cash back.

Batteries have been commodities for a long time.

Interstate has leaned heavily on Clarios as its main supplier, but it has never been an exclusive arrangement, so Exide units creeping into the supply chain should be no surprise.

Within Clarios itself, they were importing batteries from their Saudi joint venture a few years ago. Lately, it has been the Korean affiliates, or the higher-end AGMs coming from Germany.

Whether internally, or externally, the supply chain managers are crunching the numbers and signing off on sources based on units, costs, and probably little else. The results are what end up on the rack, and where they originate from are fodder only for folks like us.

I honestly wouldn't hold Exide's reputation form 10 or 20 years ago against them. They're under new ownership, and these are a maintenance-free lead-calcium design instead of the old lead-antimony batteries that required frequent water top-offs and regular terminal cleaning due to corrosion.

It is also not possible to know if the Clarios batteries sourced from their overseas locations are the same as, better, or worse than the ones made in the USA or Mexico.

Additionally, Interstate has a pretty solid reputation. They have their own in-house test labs and they handle distribution for multiple vehicle manufacturers. I would feel confident buying an Exide battery if it was backed by Interstate.

Was at the store a couple days ago -- Exide has definitely entered the chat. And the AGMs "fabrique en Chine."

Price tag clearly says "prorated warranty."

View attachment 208189View attachment 208190
Well that sure is a surprise. I bought an H6 Group 48 AGM Interstate at Costco just short of three years ago and it was made in the USA. About 8 months later and until recently they were "made in Germany"....and now China. I guess if I need another I will go with AC Delco AGM, which for the time being, are still "Made in Germany", presumably from Varta, same as where Interstate and Walmart used to get their "made in Germany" AGMs as well. Walmart on the West Coast, their AGMs all say "made in Korea". I think the jury is still out on the Chinese and Korean ones. I did pick up one of the Walmart Korean AGMs for a friends Highlander last winter...the four year warranty is reassuring at least.

Back