Walmart or Costco batteries?

Walmart Everstart Maxx. I've used them for years with no trouble in daily drivers, farm vehicles, and industrial equipment.

My Jeep has had it's first major defect. So it's going to be parked a while while I gather funds to fix it.

Will be daily driving my 87,f250 for a while. It needs batteries.

Walmart has them for $55 each with a 1 year warranty. Made in Korea.

Costco has them for $99,3 year warranty. These appear to be made by Johnson ( or whoever bought Johnson) and labeled as interstate.

Only thing being interstate is the green sticker. No more green battery case which was an interstate thing .

I'm on a budget but also want the best value.

I put two Value group 65 batteries into my 2wd Cummins last year. The truck specifies group 27, so I used a 1x4 as a spacer. In my climate it works perfect, in yours it should work better.

No complaints for the money. For my nicer, lower mileage (265k vs 442k) Cummins, I’m thinking to go the same route with the group 65 maxx batteries, or the group 24 xms (1000MCA). The group 65 maxx has the same capacity as the group 27 for around $25 less each!

I wanted to read all replies before throwing my two cents into this one..

If all you’re going to do is use this truck for a few months until your regular ride is repaired, then just grab a set of Walmart ValuPower Group 65 batteries and you’ll be fine. They will do what you need without issue. They’re only 650 CCA, but you’ll have two and should be good.

Now, if you were putting this back on the road and putting it through its paces, stressing them two batteries a lot with a heavy workload, obviously the Costco batteries are better. I have started getting Costco Interstate batteries for cars I resell, and I have yet to hear a complaint. Even in our recent deep freezes.

Of course, the best option overall is go to O’Reilly and order up two Motorcraft 850 CCA batteries. But that’s a fair chunk of cash for a temporary driver. But that’s what I installed in my 2010 Crown Vic. Rock solid.

TL;DR - Walmart. Cheap and easy. 😀

In ChicagoLand I've found over the last few years and buying several car batteries (and helped friends to get batteries for their cars) that between the Walmart Everstart Maxx and the Costco Interstate that in every case they were the same battery so I bought or suggested whichever was cheapest in cost as I installed them and both Walmart and Costco are plentiful in my area...

but you mentioned buying the 1 year warranty Walmart battery and the Costco 3 year battery...if that's the choice with price being your guide get the Walmart battery(ies) as they will cost less initially...if you want more peace of mind...get the Costco or cross shop the Walmart Everstart Maxx

Good luck with your choice

Bill

I'd go with the Valuepower group 65s.

And you really are just paying extra for the warranty.

We have had a number of people on here run those 1 yr free replacement warranty Valuepower batteries for 3-4 years.
Although those batteries are a Great Value LOL. I dont believe there the same battery without the warranty. They are noticeably lighter in weight

I wanted to read all replies before throwing my two cents into this one..

If all you’re going to do is use this truck for a few months until your regular ride is repaired, then just grab a set of Walmart ValuPower Group 65 batteries and you’ll be fine. They will do what you need without issue. They’re only 650 CCA, but you’ll have two and should be good.

Now, if you were putting this back on the road and putting it through its paces, stressing them two batteries a lot with a heavy workload, obviously the Costco batteries are better. I have started getting Costco Interstate batteries for cars I resell, and I have yet to hear a complaint. Even in our recent deep freezes.

Of course, the best option overall is go to O’Reilly and order up two Motorcraft 850 CCA batteries. But that’s a fair chunk of cash for a temporary driver. But that’s what I installed in my 2010 Crown Vic. Rock solid.

TL;DR - Walmart. Cheap and easy. 😀
ORLY=always overpriced.

Although those batteries are a Great Value LOL. I dont believe there the same battery without the warranty. They are noticeably lighter in weight

Actually....

The East Penn made Valuepower group 24f battery weighed ..... 41 pounds.... Which matched East Penn Deka Gold series battery which had 115 minutes reserve capacity and 650 CCA. Which had a 3 year free replacement warranty through Federated Auto parts.

It was not lighter.... Actually heavier than the next lower tier East Penn Group 24f battery the 524fmf battery which weighs 37 pounds.

Now it maybe different now.... But a couple of years ago it was the case then.

The actual weight, not advertised weight, of a battery within a given group size, is likely the best indicator of quality, as opposed to who placed their sticker on the battery from whomever they decided to build the battery, that they decided to slap a sticker upon at such and such a date in such and such a region of the country.

Heavier is better, and what might claim to weigh 54 lbs, might come in at 48Lbs.

And the average state of charge of a battery, and its average temperature, will have far larger consequences on its longevity, than whoever made it or stickered it or warrantied it.

Since average state of charge and average temperature are so incredibly variable in different vehicles, in different climates, in different usage patterns, that any boisterous claims of X battery lasting so much better than battery Y, when the average state of charge or temperature is not known, are just about as meaningless as any comparison of any rented product, anywhere, gets.

Also keep in mind battery x which performed well from date of purchase 5 years ago, could be made by a completely different manufacturer today and have even less relevance as to perceived quality of the same sticker from the same retailer today.

Best one can really do, is bring a bathroom scale an a voltmeter and buy the heaviest battery with best warranty with least amount of dust that measured the highest resting voltage, but a charger and a rag to wipe the dust pre purchase, can easily make the two latter variables completely moot.

Regardless of the battery bought, the best longevity is obtained by bringing it to, and keeping it at the highest state of charge possible, and not ignorantly believing the vehicle's charging system is programmed to do this, or that physics can be negated and that getting from 80% charged to 100% can be accomplished in less than 3 hours. It cant, and those 3+ hours assumes mid 14 volts are held for that entire duration. lesser voltages and less healthy batteries increase that time up into the truly ridiculous arena.

The sticker on the battery, as an indicator of quality, and expected longevity, is about as foolish as any anonymous internet claim as to product quality, can be.

The actual weight, not advertised weight, of a battery within a given group size, is likely the best indicator of quality, as opposed to who placed their sticker on the battery from whomever they decided to build the battery, that they decided to slap a sticker upon at such and such a date in such and such a region of the country.

Heavier is better, and what might claim to weigh 54 lbs, might come in at 48Lbs.

And the average state of charge of a battery, and its average temperature, will have far larger consequences on its longevity, than whoever made it or stickered it or warrantied it.

Since average state of charge and average temperature are so incredibly variable in different vehicles, in different climates, in different usage patterns, that any boisterous claims of X battery lasting so much better than battery Y, when the average state of charge or temperature is not known, are just about as meaningless as any comparison of any rented product, anywhere, gets.

Also keep in mind battery x which performed well from date of purchase 5 years ago, could be made by a completely different manufacturer today and have even less relevance as to perceived quality of the same sticker from the same retailer today.

Best one can really do, is bring a bathroom scale an a voltmeter and buy the heaviest battery with best warranty with least amount of dust that measured the highest resting voltage, but a charger and a rag to wipe the dust pre purchase, can easily make the two latter variables completely moot.

Regardless of the battery bought, the best longevity is obtained by bringing it to, and keeping it at the highest state of charge possible, and not ignorantly believing the vehicle's charging system is programmed to do this, or that physics can be negated and that getting from 80% charged to 100% can be accomplished in less than 3 hours. It cant, and those 3+ hours assumes mid 14 volts are held for that entire duration. lesser voltages and less healthy batteries increase that time up into the truly ridiculous arena.

The sticker on the battery, as an indicator of quality, and expected longevity, is about as foolish as any anonymous internet claim as to product quality, can be.

I weighed that battery....

On a very accurate scale.

41 pounds it was.

Back