New interstate batteries at Costco

talked to the Costco tire guy about the warranty and why its where it is now. He said too many folks were bringing perfectly good ones in and getting new ones close to when the replacement warranty would end . Costco has no way to check them so they just get a new one . Costco don't care because its billed back to supplier anyways .

like computer return abuse a decade earlier, abuse of the return policy killed the battery warranty
Exactly a guy on the Lexus forum explained it wrong as he made it sound like he got free batteries for life. I’m the kid who puts his hand on the stove.

Say you bought a battery Oct 2016 and it had a 42 mo warranty back then. You could get as many batteries as you wanted in 42 mos. Get 7 in a week (but why, what is the benefit of such a fraud?). So if you’re gonna lie, just get a free battery on day 1,276 (back then). What is the purpose of saying in that guy’s case he got a new battery maybe 3x in the warranty period. Maybe it made him feel plush.

I get that we’re not a very honest society. I went to the dr in Feb and I’m the guy who looks at the claim. Said I was treated for depression, bp, bmi, and diabetes, when it was none of the above. And all was denied by Blue Cross. When my wife had Aetna all the bogus services were approved.

Well that sure is a surprise. I bought an H6 Group 48 AGM Interstate at Costco just short of three years ago and it was made in the USA. About 8 months later and until recently they were "made in Germany"....and now China. I guess if I need another I will go with AC Delco AGM, which for the time being, are still "Made in Germany", presumably from Varta, same as where Interstate and Walmart used to get their "made in Germany" AGMs as well. Walmart on the West Coast, their AGMs all say "made in Korea". I think the jury is still out on the Chinese and Korean ones. I did pick up one of the Walmart Korean AGMs for a friends Highlander last winter...the four year warranty is reassuring at least.

It wasn't that long ago that JCI was importing batteries from their Saudi joint venture. Lately, it's been the Koreans, and inevitably, the Chinese. The future? Whatever source that is cheap enough to offset the logistics costs of shipping ~30 lb+ plastic cases filled with lead and acid across the oceans.

Car batteries have become commoditized, coming from the same handful of manufacturers, good/better/best segmented, with only stickers and warranties to differentiate the final retailer.

We can guess, and make assumptions based on prior experiences, but until seeing what's actually on the rack in the store, all bets are off.

And for those who like to gamble, there are cheap brands like this, doing direct sales of sorts (with free shipping!):

And for those who like to gamble, there are cheap brands like this, doing direct sales of sorts (with free shipping!):

Started seeing those on Amazon late summer last year.

It wasn't that long ago that JCI was importing batteries from their Saudi joint venture. Lately, it's been the Koreans, and inevitably, the Chinese. The future? Whatever source that is cheap enough to offset the logistics costs of shipping ~30 lb+ plastic cases filled with lead and acid across the oceans.

Car batteries have become commoditized, coming from the same handful of manufacturers, good/better/best segmented, with only stickers and warranties to differentiate the final retailer.

We can guess, and make assumptions based on prior experiences, but until seeing what's actually on the rack in the store, all bets are off.

We see a lot of that down in the Caribbean. Everything is very expensive and folks look for new sources to save a buck. Helps when you can’t go further than 20 miles from home, as quality isn’t as much of a concern it seems.

Believe it or not, some of them do perform pretty well. At the same time I have seen them swollen up on pallets too. Reality is, similar to the harbor freight power tools and inverter generator situation, once a vendor builds something, iterates on it, works out the kinks, etc., then third world counterfeiting or at least duplication with a different sticker is pretty easy…

Last edited:
We see a lot of that down in the Caribbean. Everything is very expensive and folks look for new sources to save a buck. Helps when you can’t go further than 20 miles from home.

Believe it or not, some of them do perform pretty well. At the same time I have seen them swollen up on pallets too. Reality is, similar to the harbor freight power tools and inverter generator situation, once a vendor builds something, iterates on it, works out the kinks, etc., then third world counterfeiting or at least duplication with a different sticker is pretty easy…
reminded me of my buddy's 2nd gen Maxima in NYC, early 90's. It was dying and we managed to get into a gas station in Manhattan, E96th St and 1st Ave. They sold him an entry level AC Delco battery for $140. That was huge as this was 30+ years ago.

He then asks to borrow an adjustable wrench, and the mechanic says $20.

I said forget that, let's push the car over to the pumps, it will be easier for AAA to hook up there (this was a busy 24 hour station). May take 2-3 hours they seem slow. Besides, the lighting is better there and I feel safer. The guy handed the wrench over. I guess I've always had my limits when it came to shenanigans

I’m seeing the “new” Interstates at Costco. Not Clarios or Korean(DTR/Hyundai Songwoo/Hankook Atlas). They look like Exide/Duralast - made by Stryten. No COO.
Maybe they are ok. Stryten’s website states they make all batteries in the USA. I haven’t found the latest Costco Interstate batteries to be anything special, other than cost.

Absolutely...Exide batteries have a very deserved reputation of being garbage...especially when compared to East Penn and Clarios batteries. I used to buy top of the line Exide batteries in the '90's and early 2000's and never got more than 3 years before they died. Also leaked acid from both terminals after a year.

As a result of those experiences, I switched to Johnson Controls (now Clarios) ~15 years ago and have subsequently moved on to East Penn over the past 5 years.

Besides, even if one is pro-Exide, one can go to their local Rural King and purchase the same battery for about 1/3rd less, with a better warranty on it than Costco.

My BMW OE battery installed in 2011 is made in USA by Exide. The original was not. It’s 2024 now and it still works. Not sure how Exide can summarily be described as garbage 😂

battery manufacture may also depend on where in the world you are buying...some have reported their Walmart Everstart Maxx to be Exide manufacture whereas the same group battery bought elsewhere (in the States) has been a Clarios manufactured battery...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

My brand new 24F that I picked up from Costco yesterday afternoon.
I have no clue what company made it…….

IMG_6360.jpeg

IMG_6359.jpeg

Started seeing those on Amazon late summer last year.

I have one of these batteries in my ATV currently. I purchased it on Amazon and so far (I think about a year) it has been perfect.

Back