New interstate batteries at Costco

Just stopped by my Costco for a rotation and balance and noticed a totally new type of non-AGM Interstate battery on the shelves. They had a mix of the old and new style in many sizes, all with date stickers of 12/23. The new ones have a smooth flat green top with rounded edges and no caps - or at least they were hidden if it had them. Different looking than even the non-Costco Interstates. The old style still on the shelves are the classic black top with the caps. Anyone know anything about these new ones?

like this?

1704227349165.jpg

That's a Clarios.

I was at Costco last week, and thought I spotted an Exide-made unit like this one, but didn't bend down to take a closer look.

There's also the possibility that it's from one of Clarios' Korean affiliates, but I have yet to see those outside of Walmart.

While waiting in line, also saw a guy who brought in a non-Costco Interstate hoping to warranty it, and was turned away. I suggested he head to the Interstate distributor in the area. The converse probably also occurs outside of Costco, which can't handle Costco-sold Interstates. I get the brand equity thing, but these exclusive distribution channels sharing the same brand name don't make much sense to me.

I was in there a few weeks ago to replace my wife's Interstate on her Odyssey... Bought it at Costco in early '22, barely got 2 years out of it before it would short under load test... The guy that works there told me they are doing away with the replacement warranty and now it is going to be pro-rated from the day you buy it. He also said Johnson Controls makes the battery.

...so he may have been wrong on two counts???...Johnson Controls sold the business to Clarios and the Interstate I bought 6 months ago still has the 3 year warranty...I want to check on this new look battery to see what the warranty is but the latest I read from Costco was that it would still be 3 years for full replacement...going with a lesser warranty would take buying car batteries at Costco off the table for me...

Bill

...so he may have been wrong on two counts???...Johnson Controls sold the business to Clarios and the Interstate I bought 6 months ago still has the 3 year warranty...I want to check on this new look battery to see what the warranty is but the latest I read from Costco was that it would still be 3 years for full replacement...going with a lesser warranty would take buying car batteries at Costco off the table for me...
It looks like you just snuck in under the deadline when the 3 year replacement policy was changed to pro-rated.

That one still does, the new ones coming out now are pro-rated from date of purchase is what I was told.
The COSTCO website now shows the batteries as having a pro-rated warranty effective 7-11-2023.

We have an interstate rack at work and some of the newer ones are made in Malaysia. Also have new/different stickers

Had a Kirkland H7 battery fail within a year back in 2019 so you can't even blame COVID. It's replacement is still going strong today. Not sure who the supplier is in Canada but I believe it's Johnson Controls.

The annoying part is Costco simply refunds your purchase price and you have to buy another battery at a higher price.

costcoca_kirkland_auto_h7_3-4_right_2021812140.jpg

Had a Kirkland H7 battery fail within a year back in 2019 so you can't even blame COVID. It's replacement is still going strong today. Not sure who the supplier is in Canada but I believe it's Johnson Controls.

The annoying part is Costco simply refunds your purchase price and you have to buy another battery at a higher price.

View attachment 197600
Refunding is a mixed bag. Yes you have to buy another battery at the new prevailing price, which may be higher, but you also get a new warranty. If they simply gave you another battery, the old warranty would still be in place.

Refunding is a mixed bag. Yes you have to buy another battery at the new prevailing price, which may be higher, but you also get a new warranty. If they simply gave you another battery, the old warranty would still be in place.

I believe that refunding is the best option available because it gives you a multitude of choices. For instance, if you have lost faith in the quality/durability of the COSTCO Interstate (Clarios) battery, you can simply walk away and buy a different brand (e.g., East Penn) elsewhere.

Technically it should be a free replacement (ie no additional costs) if within 4 years, but have fun convincing customer service of that. But still, I realize Costco has one of the most generous warranties in Canada. Just annoying when battery costs have jumped significantly in recent years.

Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery):
0-48 months - Free replacement
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Energizer AGM & Unbranded AGM:
0-60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Technically it should be a free replacement (ie no additional costs) if within 4 years, but have fun convincing customer service of that. But still, I realize Costco has one of the most generous warranties in Canada. Just annoying when battery costs have jumped significantly in recent years.

Kirkland Signature Automotive (flooded battery):
0-48 months - Free replacement
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

Energizer AGM & Unbranded AGM:
0-60 months - Full refund based on purchase price
61-80 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
81-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price

True for Canada, but as of 7-11-23, the policy changed to pro-rated refund up to 36 months in the USA.
1704915265675.png

True for Canada, but as of 7-11-23, the policy changed to pro-rated refund up to 36 months in the USA.
View attachment 197691
Because of this change, I quit purchasing batteries from Costco. I bought one 2021 and 2022, but my most recent purchase in December was an AGM from Walmart with a four year free replacement warranty.

Back