AGM Battery Life

I just came across the thread about the Honda Oddessy AGM Battery death during a coincidental search for AGM battery deaths. My Mother, who is 90, goes in to crank up the 2013 Honda Accord that she just drove the day before, and clk clk clk clk... Battery was replaced by a Honda Dealer, with a Honda-branded AGM battery, in Aug of '19. No warning, no slow cranking, just died. Then, I thought, you know, my 2014 Elantra did the exact same thing, at the 4 year mark. Same way. Cranked fine in the morning, then dead after work. I now have a 2021 Tucson I bought in Aug of '20. I'm beginning to wonder if proactively changing this would be a good idea. The vehicle has almost 60K on it, I live in Arkansastan, it 103* this week, but the battery seems to perform OK, just like the others did. I just put a SShunacher charger on it with AGM setting, showed it at 12.2V 61% charge. This is on a vehicle that has not bee driven since yesterday afternoon. Opinions? Is this just an AGM thing, or limited to Honda's and Hyundai's?

I'm gonna load test it after its done charging. I have a carbon pile tester, but only good for 100A, but it does give an idea. I just don't wanna get stuck like I did last time, and like my mother did the other day. At the same time, those puppies are not cheap.

I just came across the thread about the Honda Oddessy AGM Battery death during a coincidental search for AGM battery deaths. My Mother, who is 90, goes in to crank up the 2013 Honda Accord that she just drove the day before, and clk clk clk clk... Battery was replaced by a Honda Dealer, with a Honda-branded AGM battery, in Aug of '19. No warning, no slow cranking, just died. Then, I thought, you know, my 2014 Elantra did the exact same thing, at the 4 year mark. Same way. Cranked fine in the morning, then dead after work. I now have a 2021 Tucson I bought in Aug of '20. I'm beginning to wonder if proactively changing this would be a good idea. The vehicle has almost 60K on it, I live in Arkansastan, it 103* this week, but the battery seems to perform OK, just like the others did. I just put a SShunacher charger on it with AGM setting, showed it at 12.2V 61% charge. This is on a vehicle that has not bee driven since yesterday afternoon. Opinions? Is this just an AGM thing, or limited to Honda's and Hyundai's?
My OEM Hyundai AGM went out at year 4 and it was a bad cell that boiled the acid. All the cells had whitish mat in them and one was blackish. I tried to add straight battery acid to top it off and got another month out of it. I could not trust being stranded and bought a new Wallmart AGM. This was winter, as during the summer I usually run a small racing battery. All the various auto battery outlets had the same battery, but private labeled to their brand. All had a Made in Germany sticker, and the plastic casting was very distinctively "that single manufacture". So I just hunted for the best price and warranty. Walmart won.

AGM batteries can last a long time, but just a couple of deep discharges can fry them.

Left the lights on in my MB once, it has a H8 AGM, and the battery was completely dead. Jumped it. Reset the systems that required reset. All sorts of electric anomalies followed.

New battery fixed everything.

Walmart H7 AGM lasted 3.5 years in a 2014 Grand Caravan. It sat 95% of that time. Given it was extremely reliable, but it didnt meet my 5 year expectation. I replaced it with an identical unit and it will probably sit for the same amount of time. Why? Its only for very local ranch use and maybe gets driven 300-1000 miles a year.

AGM batteries can last a long time, but just a couple of deep discharges can fry them.

Left the lights on in my MB once, it has a H8 AGM, and the battery was completely dead. Jumped it. Reset the systems that required reset. All sorts of electric anomalies followed.

New battery fixed everything.
Ditto our '21 RX450h

It seems to be. Both my Durango and Charger AGM batteries have suffered instant death at about 4 years of age, of course at the most inconvenient times.
Same for me. Took my GTI to McDonalds to grab food for the family and shut the car off waiting for curbside pickup and it wouldn’t restart 5 minutes later. Not even a click. I got the 2 hour call for work while I was on my way to get a battery for it. I can’t believe I made it to work on time.

Ditto our '21 RX450h
One of the problems with all the electronic systems in modern cars is quiescent drain.

If you let the car sit, the battery is slowly discharging. Driving either Mercedes every day, they’re happy. No issues at all. Let one of them sit for a couple of weeks, and problems begin to show up, even with a battery maintainer.

My wife was reticent to drive her SL600 every day. Now, she’s on board with driving it at least once a week, because it’s good for the car (rotor rust, battery charge, oil/fluid circulation, tire stress).

I know, I know, I had to push her into driving the twin turbo V-12 roadster more often…but I convinced her that it’s good for the car!

One of the problems with all the electronic systems in modern cars is quiescent drain.

If you let the car sit, the battery is slowly discharging. Driving either Mercedes every day, they’re happy. No issues at all. Let one of them sit for a couple of weeks, and problems begin to show up, even with a battery maintainer.

My wife was reticent to drive her SL600 every day. Now, she’s on board with driving it at least once a week, because it’s good for the car (rotor rust, battery charge, oil/fluid circulation, tire stress).

I know, I know, I had to push her into driving the twin turbo V-12 roadster more often…but I convinced her that it’s good for the car!
Exactly what happened to us.
The RX sits in our Petaluma (wine counrty) garage; I have a 1A NOCO minder on the front battery connection. Still went dead. @The Critic advised me to use the minder directly on the battery, which is in the boot. All I can say is, Costco $189 AGM for the win!

If your lady needs a hand exercising that gorgeous MBZ, I can help with that...

Exactly what happened to us.
The RX sits in our Petaluma (wine counrty) garage; I have a 1A NOCO minder on the front battery connection. Still went dead. @The Critic advised me to use the minder directly on the battery, which is in the boot. All I can say is, Costco $189 AGM for the win!

If your lady needs a hand exercising that gorgeous MBZ, I can help with that...
$189 is great. I think my last AGM was like $250 if I remember correctly.

$189 is great. I think my last AGM was like $250 if I remember correctly.
Original battery was likely under warranty. But Petaluma is 90 miles from our home in Los Gatos. There is not a Lexus dealer near to Petaluma; closest on was a ways away. Would the service department be open on weekends? Would they wanna charge the battery before warranting it? Could I just bring in the battery or would thay wanna see the car as well?

$189 and a slice of pizza for the win. As @Astro14 points out, gotta drive the vehicle. Workin' on it. Luxury problems, as they say.

I chose to be proactive on our Wrangler and bought an AGM at Walmart. Best price and warrantee. Was also manufactured the same month I bought it. Actually just last week.

AGM batteries when installed at the factory usually have vehicle electrical systems optimized for AGMs. If you install an AGM in a car designed for a flooded acid battery, it likely will not last as long. My diesel BMW came with an AGM battery that was still going strong at 8 years. I changed it as a preventive maintenance matter because I don't like changing batteries in sub zero weather.

I've only ever had one AGM and I'm still waiting for it to fail at 9.5 years old. Any battery can last a long time if kept fully charged, When switching from a standard wet cell to AGM, I tweaked the voltage regulator to provide the optimum charging voltage.

Modern cars with smart alternators are designed to not fully charge the battery and I wonder if that is shortening battery life.

AGM batteries when installed at the factory usually have vehicle electrical systems optimized for AGMs. If you install an AGM in a car designed for a flooded acid battery, it likely will not last as long. My diesel BMW came with an AGM battery that was still going strong at 8 years. I changed it as a preventive maintenance matter because I don't like changing batteries in sub zero weather.
I've found this to be true in discussing AGM battery life with both Odyssey and Optima along with alternators on vehicles that don't provide the higher charge rate that brings them closer to a full charge. In earlier vehicles that were equipped with flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries, a charging system really only needed to provide about 13.5 volts to bring the battery back and provide power for the ignition/lights/etc.

An AGM requires a charge voltage of 14.2-14.6 volts to get the battery closer to 100% and if the system can't provide it, it's life is cut short.

A project we did for the magazine was to add a diode to the 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma charging system to "fool" the charging system into thinking it was a volt lower than 13.5 which raised it to 14.5ish and kept the Odyssey AGM battery where it needed to be.

The CTEK line of chargers do a great job of keeping my smart AGM at 100% and ready to go with a charge profile designed for the battery type. The Odyssey and Optima specific chargers are good at reviving AGM batteries as well.

@John90XJ thanks for the post, it's an interesting mod for sure. I have to wonder why some automakers purposely under charge AGM batteries.

I checked out your magazine, pretty cool! https://www.crawlmag.com/
Are there factory systems doing this to factory AGM equipped vehicles though? I know it's a problem with putting an AGM in a non AGM car. Volkswagen and I'm sure many others have a setting to tell the vehicle what type of battery has been installed to properly charge the battery.

I did have a charging problem with the Ford Edge we owned. It caused a number of issues where it would fail to start when short tripped. I disconnected the battery voltage sensor which no longer limited alternator charging voltage which allowed it to sustain 14.4V instead of reducing to 13.5V like it did most of the time.

Back