Batteries, Batteries, Batteries?? What is the BEST choice?

There really is no best one.
The only reasonable path is to find one at a price point that you are willing to ante up, from a place that has the best warranty you can find, and is convenient for you to access, should you need to do so.
I say this after spending this past Monday afternoon trying to find a Group 35 to replace the 5.5 yr. old Napa Legend in my Accord.
Started out at a new BJ's that just opened and we just joined. Price was right, plus I had an additional coupon for another $10. off.
They had whatever with the Interstate label slapped on them. Too bad they didn't stock any Group 35's.
Next stop was Costco. Price was right, they had plenty, they were fresh, if one wanted an Exide with an Interstate sticker slapped on it. No thanks.
Third stop was at the Walmart. Almost bit on a Maxx, but the dates on the stickers were not recent, and the only thing timely on them was the dust. Was 0-3 at that point.
I didn't want to buy at Sam's, as they are inconvenient to get to, plus we plan to let our membership there lapse in a few months.
Pulled up NAPA's website and calculated that with the AAA discount. and the $20 Visa GC being offered right now, I would be within a few bucks of the WM Maxx price. Besides, I would have another EP battery, right? So, I headed over there.
They had none on the shelf; however they had one in the back they just got that morning. SO fine. He goes to the back to get it and returns. It has a 1/24 sticker on it, clean as a whistle, but is clearly a Clarios. By that point, I had had enough, so I bought it, installed it, and went home.
Any more, it just appears that there is a very narrow set of options, with a very similar set of warranties on them, the only thing left to select is the price, and the sticker slapped on them.

That inconsistency between sizes is weird. But as I recall it seems to be the case with their testing going back at least 20 years. They do test 5 samples for each size/model of battery, and I assume they do a proper statistical analysis.

From a 2015 CR article, I was surprised to read this:

I read the same thing in a 2024 article from CR.

It seems they are testing car batteries every year.
Yes, they claim they have members that assist with purchasing the batteries in various areas across the USA in order to ensure they come from various lot numbers and (I assume) a few different months of production, as well some battery makers have a specific "north" battery and a "south" battery. (Not sure what would be different for the two regions).

They claim to test yearly, yet I have seen no change in which brands and models they test, and no obvious change in the order of rankings in over 5 years. That tells me they are rehashing the same data for now. We know that makers have changed suppliers and quality over those same 5 years, there simply is no way these tests cannot have at least a few ranking changes.

This is the top rated Group 49/H8 battery in Consumer Reports testing 5+ years ago. I bought one due to that review and it is just two months shy of five years old and still exceeds its 900CCA rating. They are made in Germany by Varta. Mine has the sticker saying so...

Does Popular Mechanics actually test batteries? Or do they pick based on advertising or marketing money from AC Delco? :)

The interesting thing shown in Consumer Reports testing is no one brand dominated or exceeded in all sizes. While AC Delco AGM was great in Group 49/H8, its sucked in the Group 48/H6. So when I needed a Group 48/H6 I skipped the AC Delco AGM and got an Interstate AGM that was higher rated. (the top rated Group 48/H6 was the Odyssey.

X2 was highly rated in Group 24, but one of the lowest rated in Group 65

View attachment 200144
Interesting. Yes, mine says made in Germany as well.
One thing is for sure, Interstate Batteries do not have the reputation they once had.

Interesting. Yes, mine says made in Germany as well.
One thing is for sure, Interstate Batteries do not have the reputation they once had.
Well, like everything...it depends. Interstate H series (H6, H8, etc) AGMs are coming from Varta of Germany as well, so the exact same source as yours.

I have an Interstate Group 48/H6 AGM I purchased a little over three years ago just before they transitioned to Varta of Germany, and it is working just fine, with no issues so far.

Attached is a photo of an Interstate H series AGM with the exact same "Made in Germany" sticker as your AC Delco.

interstate german.jpg

Pulled up NAPA's website and calculated that with the AAA discount. and the $20 Visa GC being offered right now, I would be within a few bucks of the WM Maxx price. Besides, I would have another EP battery, right? So, I headed over there.
They had none on the shelf; however they had one in the back they just got that morning. SO fine. He goes to the back to get it and returns. It has a 1/24 sticker on it, clean as a whistle, but is clearly a Clarios. By that point, I had had enough, so I bought it, installed it, and went home.
Any more, it just appears that there is a very narrow set of options, with a very similar set of warranties on them, the only thing left to select is the price, and the sticker slapped on them.
Exactly which NAPA battery did you buy?

We’ve run into a problem with our 2001 4Runner.

We installed an Odyssey AGM a year ago. But in frequent cold starts and short trips it’s run down and needed a jump. My son has an inexpensive Lithium jump pack that will work 2-3 times per charge.

According to the forums, peak charging voltage is 14.2 and AGM needs 14.6. Going to put a lead acid battery in and see how that works. No big as three of our cars have same battery size.

I don't drive my cars far enough or often enough to only alternator charge. So pretty frequently I run a battery minder (AGM) and rotate it around the garage to keep the batteries topped off.

I have read that the odyssey needs a little higher voltage to get past the 80% charge.

Can you just put an AGM battery in a car that didn't come with one? Does the charging system need to be modified somehow?
In most cases yes, especially if the AGM is a not a fancy one like a Odyssey or Optimum.

I emailed East Penn and asked the question about my 2015 pickup. They looked up my pickup on some list they had and said it would be fine with an AGM from Walmart.

I returned two Napa Legend M47 batteries yesterday. One bought in 11/23, the other 6/23. The Napa store in Cheshire CT gave me new ones, no questions asked.

I also ran through two Interstate batteries M47 in the past 3 years. Neither made it to 20 months.

I’m not sure where to go from here. All the batteries are in Volvo 240s used as daily drivers.

I can now say that I'm dissatisfied with the Duralast Platinum AGM I bought 8/2020 for my Camry
It's been giving me intermittent issues for the past few months, I thought it was a parasitic drain
It wasn't, and my charging system is fine
Of course, it always tested fine when I brought it to them under warranty, but today I'd had enough of jump starting it
Took it in, failed the test, out of warranty, $250+ tax for a new one
Of course it catastrophically fails ~6 months out of warranty
Screw that, I went to Costco for a $130 OTD 3 year Interstate lead acid

I'm not one to care about COO, but it did have a Made in Mexico sticker on it
I don't know if this was a JCI or Exide made battery, but I'm disappointed in the money I spent

13.2 or higher.
That is really low. After a cold start, say at 32F, you want to see around 14.8 to 15.0V from the alternator. The voltage will taper downwards after just a few minutes of driving. Your batteries are probably being undercharged.

That is really low. After a cold start, say at 32F, you want to see around 14.8 to 15.0V from the alternator. The voltage will taper downwards after just a few minutes of driving. Your batteries are probably being undercharged.
I will double check it. Most likely my memory is wrong. Thanks.

OEM Toyota Panasonic (Japan built) lasted 10 years for me. Can't buy them from the dealer, probably too cost prohibitive to import car batteries from Japan. Either way, have been through 3 Costco batteries in the past 10 years.

Last edited:
OEM Toyota Panasonic (Japan built) lasted 10 years for me. Can't buy them from the dealer, probably too cost prohibitive to import car batteries from Japan. Either way, have been through 3 Costco batteries in the past 10 years.
My 2007 Toyota Tundra OEM battery final was getting iffy in 2019 so I replaced it. 12 years ain't bad. I assume the Tundra battery is from a domestic supplier, since the trucks are made in Texas.

I returned two Napa Legend M47 batteries yesterday. One bought in 11/23, the other 6/23. The Napa store in Cheshire CT gave me new ones, no questions asked.

I also ran through two Interstate batteries M47 in the past 3 years. Neither made it to 20 months.

I’m not sure where to go from here. All the batteries are in Volvo 240s used as daily drivers.
Buy from whomever has the best warranty. Napa, WalMart, and is conveniently located to you.
Also consider buying some Battery Minder (wall wart) tenders. The Battery Minder work well and still inexpensive from Northerntool on eBay for $30 delivered and comes with a five year warranty: Weekly top ups on a battery maintainer certainly won't hurt and could greatly extend battery life. Buy or make some ring mounts to thread through the front grill to make for easy connection.

I see you mention daily driven, but are the trips of sufficient length to ensure complete charging? Have the charging systems been checked recently to ensure they are optimal?

Hurry, Northern Tool raised the price to $40 on their website, add shipping and its $50!

Last edited:
You can buy Yuasa automotive batteries in North America.They have both Lead Acid and AGM.Their batteries last a very long time,probably dearer than the brands mentioned,but if you want quality you have to pay.
On another note these modern batteries with Calcium do not like being discharged below a certain voltage.The vehicle charging system will not bring them back to full charge.You need to use an external charger suitable for that battery type.The local car rescue outfit sell lots of batteries after they have jump started a vehicle,the owner gets home jumps in the next morning and the car wont start.Needs a new battery,all it really needs is a proper charge.

Back