Batteries, Batteries, Batteries?? What is the BEST choice?

Anyone asked how the pro-rated works? If I pay half at 18 months, does my new warranty start at 3 years again? I looked - its not mentioned that I can find.

Hard to beat walmart. There everywhere. Still free replacement for 3 years on the gold.
When I asked the tire manager at my local COSTCO, he indicated that you would be refunded the pro-rated portion of the original price + sales tax. Whether you choose to go buy at different battery at WalMart, O'Reillys, Autozone, etc. is solely up to you. If you opt to buy another Interstate battery at COSTCO (at the current price), it is considered an all new transaction with a new 36 month pro-rated warranty.

Last edited:
I don't know why but if you but too small a charger on too big a battery it will never make it above about 13 volts. The too small of a charger will make the battery functional again but it won't see a full charge.
Charger size has nothing to do with voltage only current. I’ve never seen where this would be a problem given enough time.

Really considering this one. Top rated (Check out reviews) AGM MADE IN THE USA. Manager at Batteries Plus said he can knock $50 off retail. Again, these have a FREE 4 year REAL replacement warranty, not prorated.

or the larger? Both same price, but CCA and RC are higher on the one below.

Side note..my battery tray is plenty big to handle the larger group 94, or do I need to stay with group 48? When I asked if the my alternator can properly maintain the larger group size, he told me that it is not an issue with new vehicles. It can create issues with much older vehicles.

Can anyone out there confirm what I was told? Just don't want electrical issues.
Thanks again all!

Last edited:
Side note..my battery tray is plenty big to handle the larger group 94, or do I need to stay with group 48? When I asked if the my alternator can properly maintain the larger group size, he told me that it is not an issue with new vehicles. It can create issues with much older vehicles.

Can anyone out there confirm what I was told? Just don't want electrical issues.
Thanks again all!
Have you read the responses in this thread?

It's not an issue with either a new nor an older vehicle. All the alternator does is to recharge the battery as it is being discharged. As long as the alternator can keep up with the load it will maintain the charge. Battery capacity is irrelevant.

Bought a Walmart Everstart Maxx or whatever the AGM option. I did this after getting the Colorado as it struggled the first winter. Battery was original so almost 6 years I think so not a bad run at all.

Really considering this one. Top rated (Check out reviews) AGM MADE IN THE USA. Manager at Batteries Plus said he can knock $50 off retail. Again, these have a FREE 4 year REAL replacement warranty, not prorated.

Thanks again all!

Charging System Operation
The purpose of the charging system is to maintain the battery charge and vehicle loads. There are 6 modes of operation and they include:
• Battery Sulfation Mode
• Charge Mode
• Fuel Economy Mode
• Head lamp Mode
• Start Up Mode
• Voltage Reduction Mode

Normal duty cycle is between 5–95%. 0–5% and 95–100% are for diagnostic purposes, with 0–5% monitoring for an open circuit and 95–100% monitoring for a short to ground at a fixed 13.8 V.
Font Material property Number Parallel

Charging System Modes

Battery Sulfation Mode
The BCM will enter this mode when the interpreted Generator output voltage is less than 13.2 V for 45 minutes. When this condition exists the BCM will enter Charge Mode for 2–3 minutes. The BCM will then determine which mode to enter depending on voltage requirements.

Charge Mode The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met:
• Windshield wipers are ON for more than 3 s.
• Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request is true, as sensed by the HVAC control module via serial data. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger, and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.
• The estimated battery temperature is less than 0° C (32°F).
• Battery State of Charge is less than 80%.
• Vehicle speed is greater than 145 km/h (90 mph)
• A current sensor malfunction exists.
• System voltage is determined to be below 12.56 V

When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9–15.5 V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

Fuel Economy Mode The BCM will enter Fuel Economy Mode when the estimated battery temperature is at least 0°C (32°F) but less than or equal to 80°C (176°F), the calculated battery current is less than 15 A and greater than −8 A, and the battery state-of-charge is greater than or equal to 80%. Its targeted generator output voltage is the open circuit voltage of the battery and can be between 12.5–13.1 V. When fuel economy mode is active, the generator is not charging, only maintaining open circuit battery voltage. The BCM will exit this mode and enter Charge Mode when any of the conditions described above are present.

Headlamp Mode The BCM will enter Headlamp Mode when ever the head lamps are ON (high or low beams). Voltage will be regulated between 13.9–14.5 V.

Start Up Mode When the engine is started the BCM sets a targeted generator output voltage of 14.5 V for 30 s.

Tow/Haul Mode (if applicable) Pressing the Tow/Haul Mode button located on the center stack, the vehicle system voltage is raised and the remote (non-vehicle) battery will be charged. Having the headlamps on will raise the system voltage and if the Tow/Haul button is applied it will not serve any purpose. The voltage is regulated between 13.9-14.5 V.

Have you read the responses in this thread?

It's not an issue with either a new nor an older vehicle. All the alternator does is to recharge the battery as it is being discharged. As long as the alternator can keep up with the load it will maintain the charge. Battery capacity is irrelevant.
Yes. I see what you mean, especially after reading through various resources.

I put a 1A noco charger on a 24F that sat on my garage floor for 6 months, and it was full charge in 2 days?

I think you have a bad charger or bad data. The only difference between loading 1A or 10A is time.
Group 24 battery isn't that big so no surprise a one amp charger was able to charge it up enough to make it work.

Reactions: rcs

Thanks again all!
I too have been considering a X2 Power battery in lieu of the Odyssey depending on price of each.

Bought a Walmart Everstart Maxx or whatever the AGM option. I did this after getting the Colorado as it struggled the first winter. Battery was original so almost 6 years I think so not a bad run at all.
Wow, six years is very good.

Group 24 battery isn't that big so no surprise a one amp charger was able to charge it up enough to make it work.
That is good to know, because I have a group 24 battery and for the 1st time I put a Battery Tender Jr on it. It was topped off and
solid green light in a little over 3 hours! I have a Deka Ultimate battery and would definitely buy one again, made by East Penn.

I wound up going with the AC Delco Group 49 AGM. Just in time for the 13 degree weather. This sucker has 900 CCA and 160 RC. The OEM AC Delco had 615 CCA and 115 RC. The best part is Amazon had a 45% off sale, so shipped on the 14th and received on the 15th. Prime Member-delivered free at my door before 1:00PM at $180! Amazon packed the battery extremely well. Plenty of room in the battery tray too. My truck definitely starts quicker, and the volt reading is consistently higher. No complaints with the OEM, as it lasted 5.5 years, and never let me down. The battery never died, but it was time to replace it. Note-The new battery is a Popular Mechanics top pick.

Attachments​

I wound up going with the AC Delco Group 49 AGM. Just in time for the 13 degree weather. This sucker has 900 CCA and 160 RC. The OEM AC Delco had 615 CCA and 115 RC. The best part is Amazon had a 45% off sale, so shipped on the 14th and received on the 15th. Prime Member-delivered free at my door before 1:00PM at $180! Amazon packed the battery extremely well. Plenty of room in the battery tray too. My truck definitely starts quicker, and the volt reading is consistently higher. No complaints with the OEM, as it lasted 5.5 years, and never let me down. The battery never died, but it was time to replace it. Note-The new battery is a Popular Mechanics top pick.

Attachments​

This is the top rated Group 49/H8 battery in Consumer Reports testing 5+ years ago. I bought one due to that review and it is just two months shy of five years old and still exceeds its 900CCA rating. They are made in Germany by Varta. Mine has the sticker saying so...

Does Popular Mechanics actually test batteries? Or do they pick based on advertising or marketing money from AC Delco? :)

The interesting thing shown in Consumer Reports testing is no one brand dominated or exceeded in all sizes. While AC Delco AGM was great in Group 49/H8, its sucked in the Group 48/H6. So when I needed a Group 48/H6 I skipped the AC Delco AGM and got an Interstate AGM that was higher rated. (the top rated Group 48/H6 was the Odyssey.

X2 was highly rated in Group 24, but one of the lowest rated in Group 65

AC Delco.jpg

Last edited:
Are H6 batteries compatible with a vehicle that uses a group 35?

the top posts on the 35 are not recessed unlike the H6, but I was wondering if that matters in the grand scheme of things.

4LF, if you live in the south you'll never need the extra cold cranking amps of an extra large battery. If you live where you get snow in the winter it's nice to have the extra cold cranking amps of a larger battery.

......Not the case in all sizes, according to Consumer Reports testing. Some sizes the excelled, others bottom of the pack......
......This is the top rated Group 49/H8 battery in Consumer Reports testing 5+ years ago.....

That inconsistency between sizes is weird. But as I recall it seems to be the case with their testing going back at least 20 years. They do test 5 samples for each size/model of battery, and I assume they do a proper statistical analysis.

From a 2015 CR article, I was surprised to read this:
......We test about 150 car batteries year in and year out, generally 15 models every six months....
I read the same thing in a 2024 article from CR.

It seems they are testing car batteries every year.

Last edited:
Back