Best battery for cold weather

Thanks Jim. I was able to purchase a Deka Battery with 880 CCA's (I think, I know it is higher than the original Pilot one of only 650 CCA's) from a store that sells them. I just Googled Deka and this one store came up. Thankfully it has been very good so far.
Just saw this thread.149 posts for a simple dinky battery replacement? Sheesh...

Just saw this thread.149 posts for a simple dinky battery replacement? Sheesh...
To me as a women, this conversation, information, and the knowledge I acquired was priceless! So despite it being a long thread and perhaps useless to someone who has more knowledge than I do, it is tedious to read. However, for another gal or someone with less knowledge and yes that includes some men that I know who know nothing about cars,...I hope it helps them!:)

There is no need to be condescending. Every one needs help and I am grateful that I can ask questions and get the help that I need from these wonderful members, without being taken for a financial ride from a local mechanic. Also you did not have to click on it and read through it once you saw there were 8 pages. But at 4am perhaps you were bored?
Enjoy your day

To me as a women, this conversation, information, and the knowledge I acquired was priceless! So despite it being a long thread and perhaps useless to someone who has more knowledge than I do, it is tedious to read. However, for another gal or someone with less knowledge and yes that includes some men that I know who know nothing about cars,...I hope it helps them!:)

There is no need to be condescending. Every one needs help and I am grateful that I can ask questions and get the help that I need from these wonderful members, without being taken for a financial ride from a local mechanic. Also you did not have to click on it and read through it once you saw there were 8 pages. But at 4am perhaps you were bored?
Enjoy your day
You don't need that much input for a simple battery replacement that any parts or dealership guy would have told you. There are lots of women out there that have a clue, I'm one. I also don't see a lot of difference between posting at 4am or like you 5:20 am. So maybe you should have a nice day. Boo, hoo...

You don't need that much input for a simple battery replacement that any parts or dealership guy would have told you. There are lots of women out there that have a clue, I'm one. I also don't see a lot of difference between posting at 4am or like you 5:20 am. So maybe you should have a nice day. Boo, hoo...
Well,...let me 1st say... I don't need to defend or explain my question but, since you had an opinion.....I did not want another Honda battery with only 650 CCA, I wanted one that was better, so that is why I did not consult my parts guy or the dealership, I did not want their opinion. Second, I asked a simple question and how was I supposed to know this thread would take off with so many replies????:LOL: Why do you have a problem with that?:unsure: I never said women don't have a clue. I said I did not have a clue as to the best one. But I am very well educated in other areas. It is certainly nice that you have the knowledge and don't need to ask questions, be grateful for that.
Third,...I don't see why you have to comment and trash my question/post since this was over 1 year ago....

Oh and I will have a very nice day , thank you.

Well,...let me 1st say... I don't need to defend or explain my question but, since you had an opinion.....I did not want another Honda battery with only 650 CCA, I wanted one that was better, so that is why I did not consult my parts guy or the dealership, I did not want their opinion. Second, I asked a simple question and how was I supposed to know this thread would take off with so many replies????:LOL: Why do you have a problem with that?:unsure: I never said women don't have a clue. I said I did not have a clue as to the best one. But I am very well educated in other areas. It is certainly nice that you have the knowledge and don't need to ask questions, be grateful for that.
Third,...I don't see why you have to comment and trash my question/post since this was over 1 year ago....

Oh and I will have a very nice day , thank you.
That Honda battery would do the job for your vehicle easily. I have that same size and it's plenty strong. Look for a battery insulator/blanket. It's not a plug in. Protects against cold and heat. Heat is more damaging to the battery. They're available on Amazon. Cheers.

An absolute truth. Based upon my experience, based upon driving style, weather conditions, and vehicles, I would estimate that most auto batteries are between 70% - 85% SOC at any given time.

Current top rated 24F battery from Consumer Reports testing is the X2 Power SL124FAGMDP agm battery at a cost of $350. It rated a 97 out of 100 in their rating system. Their "best value" option in 24F is the NAPA Legend Premium 8424F at $130. Rated at 90 out of 100.

Current top rated 24F battery from Consumer Reports testing is the X2 Power SL124FAGMDP agm battery at a cost of $350. It rated a 97 out of 100 in their rating system. Their "best value" option in 24F is the NAPA Legend Premium 8424F at $130. Rated at 90 out of 100.
For me, that raises the question, would the X2 Power battery yield more than 2 1/2 times the performance, whether in longevity, performance and dependability, to justify the price difference?

Actually I did at the time want the NAPA Legend but it was not available , and I needed one asap.

An absolute truth. Based upon my experience, based upon driving style, weather conditions, and vehicles, I would estimate that most auto batteries are between 70% - 85% SOC at any given time.

Definitely truth. Single digits or negative F here for a couple days. My battery on our van was 67% this morning. Did not drive it yesterday at all. Did drive it the day before on some errands

But the charger on it to start with a fresh battery

Something to really consider is the SOC

For me, that raises the question, would the X2 Power battery yield more than 2 1/2 times the performance, whether in longevity, performance and dependability, to justify the price difference?
That clearly applies with every consumer purchasing decision. I believe that is also why Consumer Reports also lists what they believe is the "best value" option...again, for the buyer to make the final decision based on their budget and circumstances.

Some may also consider the difficulty of installation and other factors in paying more for a battery they hope will not require maintenance (occasionally adding distilled water). In my Ferrari the battery is located in the passenger footwell (apparently for weight balance of the car) and there is absolutely no way to check or add water without battery removal. That makes use of an AGM a priority. And replacement is a pain, so finding something with a long life is important as well.

That clearly applies with every consumer purchasing decision. I believe that is also why Consumer Reports also lists what they believe is the "best value" option...again, for the buyer to make the final decision based on their budget and circumstances.

Some may also consider the difficulty of installation and other factors in paying more for a battery they hope will not require maintenance (occasionally adding distilled water). In my Ferrari the battery is located in the passenger footwell (apparently for weight balance of the car) and there is absolutely no way to check or add water without battery removal. That makes use of an AGM a priority. And replacement is a pain, so finding something with a long life is important as well.

Absolutely agreed. I will readily pay more for a component, battery or some other car part, that has a longer life, is more dependable, easier to maintain, when installation is tedious or timely. Such instances is where it is easy to justify the price difference. At least in my mind.

Definitely truth. Single digits or negative F here for a couple days. My battery on our van was 67% this morning. Did not drive it yesterday at all. Did drive it the day before on some errands

But the charger on it to start with a fresh battery

Something to really consider is the SOC
What charger did you use Matt? Michigan is in the same boat as you, 9 Degrees here today with minus 20 wind chill

Back