East Penn Batteries at Local Walmart 8/21

I've been battery shopping lately. Most batteries at my local Walmart in central VA seem to be East Penn--no vent caps and the serial number starts with EP. The particular ones I looked at had date stickers from 12/20 to, oddly enough, 9/21.

For the size I need (35), the Maxx specs match the NAPA Legend/Deka 735MF. The mid-level was sold out.

However, the Value battery does not have a match in the NAPA or Deka catalogs, and said "Made in Mexico" beside the UPC barcode. The Maxx did not specify country of manufacture. Value specs were 500 CCA/625 CA, where the NAPA Proformer/Deka 535MF is 550/675.

FYI

No AGM at another store across town. They did have the "Plus" #35 in stock, Made in Mexico. They had all three batteries in my truck's size, 78, East Penn design but none of them noted country of manufacture on the label.

Just get an Everstart maxx at WM. $88 and 3 yr. warranty. Free install. NO vent caps on my 24f which I prefer. 725cca.

I have an EP EverStart Maxx from WM, purchased last year. Guess what? They DO have caps, though they are not vented. The battery vents through the actual top cover. If you peel up the large rectangular sticker on top (it comes off easily and sticks back down pretty easily) there are caps underneath. I saw this in a video somewhere. I checked recently and the acid levels are fine. You can stick the sticker back down in a bit of a different position to leave access to the caps. I plan to check once or twice a year.

Last edited:
Back