Non East Penn made batteries at NAPA?

A word of warning for fans of the East Penn made NAPA batteries-tried to pick up a Proformer 24F today and they brought out a weird Indian made non-maintenance free battery with individual screw-in caps under a decal(?). Canceled & bought a 35 instead (which was a new EP one). Not sure if NAPA may be joining the race to the bottom, but for an 18 month warranty I wasn’t risking it.

If the battery didn't suck I would LOVE screw tops to be able to maintain a battery!! Makes ya wonder if it's a race to the bottom with NAPA or is it really a supply chain issue here in the states?

@bullwinkle hope you got 20% off!
Yup-and somehow I was able to return the unknown mfr. Indian 24F for the East Penn style 35. Same price, I just have had very good luck with the maintenance free EPs, and VERY BAD luck with the JC ones. The core one was basically pouring acid out of the positive post (Johnson Controls, labeled Toyota), took a 20 minute soak in baking soda & water to clean the terminal up.

Is there a Batteries Plus store nearby?
MUCH higher price ($202.99-10%)-Sam’s is actually lower @ $129.99 for the Duracell Gold, but the NAPA 20% off (& Rewards helps too), gets them down to ~$103. Since I started using solar maintainers on lightly used vehicles, my batteries have been routinely lasting 8 years or more (& the JC leakers have leaked on regularly driven vehicles that don’t overcharge them).

I wish NAPA would get their story straight. It says that it has a 1 year free replacement warranty, and that it has an 18 month free replacement warranty. Which is it?
Their warranty booklet linked in the listing has 18 months free replacement, so I’m holding them to it. Not expecting to need it on an East Penn that’s kept fully charged either by driving regularly or use of a trickle charger (solar maintainer).

A word of warning for fans of the East Penn made NAPA batteries-tried to pick up a Proformer 24F today and they brought out a weird Indian made non-maintenance free battery with individual screw-in caps under a decal(?). Canceled & bought a 35 instead (which was a new EP one). Not sure if NAPA may be joining the race to the bottom, but for an 18 month warranty I wasn’t risking it.

On a serious note... Thank goodness my local Walmart does have the Value batteries which are still East Penn made. At $60 or so.

And I believe O Reilly's now has gone away from East Penn batteries too. When I looked their batteries up recently the pictures were not East Penn battery cases. I can spot a East Penn battery very easily.

On a serious note... Thank goodness my local Walmart does have the Value batteries which are still East Penn made. At $60 or so.

And I believe O Reilly's now has gone away from East Penn batteries too. When I looked their batteries up recently the pictures were not East Penn battery cases. I can spot a East Penn battery very easily.
If my WM had East Penn batteries for Value Power prices, I would be all over them. No such luck here.

Just went to Napa today and saw the shelf full of JCI/Clarios batteries :(

I'm normally not happy about a battery that's 2 months old, especially when some batteries even have a future month's sticker on them, but this time it meant getting a Deka rather than a Calrios :sneaky:

Sad to see Napa switching away from East Penn, especially since they're the best and are made in PA, which is great for the east coast.

If my WM had East Penn batteries for Value Power prices, I would be all over them. No such luck here.
Walmart is all Korean here - either Hankook Atlas(ATL serials) who also supplies Tesla or Hyundai Songwoo(HSW serial). I saw a new serial number starting in DTR and it’s from Korea. I’m assuming it’s Delkor, aka Clarios Korea.

Just went to Napa today and saw the shelf full of JCI/Clarios batteries :(

I'm normally not happy about a battery that's 2 months old, especially when some batteries even have a future month's sticker on them, but this time it meant getting a Deka rather than a Calrios :sneaky:

Sad to see Napa switching away from East Penn, especially since they're the best and are made in PA, which is great for the east coast.
It might be helpful if we (vaguely) knew where this WalMart was. I'm expecting my local Maryland WalMarts to still have East Penn.

Reviving old thread. I looked at every battery at my local walmart and there all JCI.

I need a battery and don't want anymore JCI batteries. My problem however is everywhere that sells something else has to "install" it for the warranty to be intact. I want to just walk in and buy one. One reason being I don't like others touching my vehicle. The other is I run a battery larger than the manual calls for. It fits fine - in fact I could run much larger still.

Suggestions on somwhere that will just sell me a East Penn battery off the shelf carry out with full warranty like Walmart?

Reviving old thread. I looked at every battery at my local walmart and there all JCI.

I need a battery and don't want anymore JCI batteries. My problem however is everywhere that sells something else has to "install" it for the warranty to be intact. I want to just walk in and buy one. One reason being I don't like others touching my vehicle. The other is I run a battery larger than the manual calls for. It fits fine - in fact I could run much larger still.

Suggestions on somwhere that will just sell me a East Penn battery off the shelf carry out with full warranty like Walmart?
OReilly, Sam’s Club, Batteries Plus

There are Deka Battery stores as well, though not everywhere.

Back