Non East Penn made batteries at NAPA?

Reviving old thread. I looked at every battery at my local walmart and there all JCI.

I need a battery and don't want anymore JCI batteries. My problem however is everywhere that sells something else has to "install" it for the warranty to be intact. I want to just walk in and buy one. One reason being I don't like others touching my vehicle. The other is I run a battery larger than the manual calls for. It fits fine - in fact I could run much larger still.

Suggestions on somwhere that will just sell me a East Penn battery off the shelf carry out with full warranty like Walmart?

Do you have a Batteries Plus nearby? Their Duracell batteries are Deka/EP

Do you have a Batteries Plus nearby? Their Duracell batteries are Deka/EP
I have a batteries plus, but if I put the proper vehicle in it gives me a group 35. I want a 24F - fits fine. In fact a 27F would likely fit fine also.

I can fudge the vehicle to get it to work, but then the question is will they honor the warranty if it craps out. There warranty book indicates only for the installed vehicle - if anyone bothers to check. I only want to buy online as that gets you 20% off. Without the 20% off I might as well get a gold plated AGM.

O'Reilly's is closer. Might be worth a try.

I have a batteries plus, but if I put the proper vehicle in it gives me a group 35. I want a 24F - fits fine. In fact a 27F would likely fit fine also.

I can fudge the vehicle to get it to work, but then the question is will they honor the warranty if it craps out. There warranty book indicates only for the installed vehicle - if anyone bothers to check. I only want to buy online as that gets you 20% off. Without the 20% off I might as well get a gold plated AGM.

O'Reilly's is closer. Might be worth a try.
It looks like you can just order the battery without actually entering the vehicle info :unsure:

my batteries plus doesn’t judge. I order it online, usually with a discount, and then take it and leave. I bring back the core later. They once actually did install a gp35 I ordered into a car calling for a 24. They didn’t care, but I did redo it once I made it home because it was a tight squeeze and they guy trying it didn’t quite have the magic touch.

I’ve purchased 3 batteries from our local one, and a 4th for my boss. They have treated me right every time. Based on their prices, products and treatment, I go out of my way to stick with them.

....Suggestions on somwhere that will just sell me a East Penn battery off the shelf carry out with full warranty like Walmart?

click on "where to buy" at this web page to buy a Deka battery:

my batteries plus doesn’t judge. I order it online, usually with a discount, and then take it and leave. I bring back the core later. They once actually did install a gp35 I ordered into a car calling for a 24. They didn’t care, but I did redo it once I made it home because it was a tight squeeze and they guy trying it didn’t quite have the magic touch.

I’ve purchased 3 batteries from our local one, and a 4th for my boss. They have treated me right every time. Based on their prices, products and treatment, I go out of my way to stick with them.
I've learned it is very "store dependent" with Batteries Plus as far as customer service. They are all independant franchises. The store nearest me, I have bought three batteries from and the one time I had an issue and needed a warranty replacement, they gave me the big run around. I drove to them, they put their tester on it, which it failed a load test (failed on my load tester as well, and why I came in). The manager insisted they first clean the battery terminals and wait a week to see if it is just resistance from dirty posts (they were pristine clean already). Anyway, I come back a week later and it fails the load test again, and they finally cough up a replacement and the manager admitted they have this process to ensure the battery is bad, as franchisees eat the cost of battery failures.

BTW, the franchise eating the cost of warranty replacements is not an uncommon industry practice. What the battery manufacturers do, is give a standard "off invoice" discount on every battery purchase by the store to cover for the rare warranty replacement. Generally the manufacturers have data showing how rare failures are, and that the discount more than makes up for the occasional warranty replacement. So much so, that stores just consider it "additional profit" to their bottom line. The negative to this type of program is what I experienced, hesitancy by the retailer to warranty a battery promptly when it is clearly bad. The advantage to this program for a manufacturer, is it eliminates all the costly administrative hassle of returning batteries, crediting retailers and verifying the battery is bad.

The entire process left a sour taste in my mouth. As much as I prefer East Penn batteries, I have now gone to Costco and use Interstate. I have bought two in the past couple years, one for my Toyoto Tundra, one for the Ferrari. So far so good. So that warranty process lost them a customer.

Last edited:
.....they put their tester on it, which it failed a load test (failed on my load tester as well, and why I came in). The manager insisted they first clean the battery terminals and wait a week to see if it is just resistance from dirty posts (they were pristine clean already). Anyway, I come back a week later and it fails the load test again.....
Where is the dividing line between a good battery and a failed battery. Is at some percentage of rated CCA, such as 75% ?

Where is the dividing line between a good battery and a failed battery. Is at some percentage of rated CCA, such as 75% ?
Combination.

If the internal resistance gets too high, it is "failed" It means the battery is failing internally and will eventually end heating up and also delivering too low a voltage.

If the CCA reaches some percentage lower than rated - usually if its less than 60% of the rating, its "failed".

They often happen in conjunction, but not always.

Reviving old thread. I looked at every battery at my local walmart and there all JCI.

I need a battery and don't want anymore JCI batteries. My problem however is everywhere that sells something else has to "install" it for the warranty to be intact. I want to just walk in and buy one. One reason being I don't like others touching my vehicle. The other is I run a battery larger than the manual calls for. It fits fine - in fact I could run much larger still.

Suggestions on somwhere that will just sell me a East Penn battery off the shelf carry out with full warranty like Walmart?

If there is a way to tell an East Penn vs a JCI/Clarios .

I picked up this Value model at Walmart in... November ? Late October or November 2022 for the Ford.. I could be completely wrong on this, and if I am, please come out and say it.. that if you can find their Value line battery.. that it is East Penn.

Here is a visual reference to that battery. Charging just because the opportunity presented itself, okay now to the pics.

This battery cost about $55 maybe $60 by the way. Look at the Value line. If they are there, they may be gold....

20230129_130709.jpg
20230129_130718.jpg
20230129_130723.jpg
20230129_130735.jpg
20230129_130739.jpg

Additional:

20230129_140711.jpg
20230129_140724.jpg

😎

There are a few...

Last edited:
If there is a way to tell an East Penn vs a JCI/Clarios .

I picked up this Value model at Walmart in... November ? Late October or November 2022 for the Ford.. I could be completely wrong on this, and if I am, please come out and say it.. that if you can find their Value line battery.. that it is East Penn.

Here is a visual reference to that battery. Charging just because the opportunity presented itself, okay now to the pics.

This battery cost about $55 maybe $60 by the way. Look at the Value line. If they are there, they may be gold....

View attachment 137747View attachment 137748View attachment 137749View attachment 137750View attachment 137751
Your serial number starts with EP. That is in fact an east penn battery.

All the serial numbers in the stores here say JCI - or Johnson controls. They also say Clarios right on them.

I believe it varies by location. Walmart has multiple sources, so it likely differs by the warehouse you get them from.

What general part of VA are you located? I need to go there for work soon - I drive. Maybe I can buy one there?

How are the East Penn batteries manufactured in Mexico? In addition to the above value battery from WM, I have seen some higher tier EP batteries that are from Mexico as well.
If you look at the East Penn literature they say they have a relationship with "Grupo Gonher de Mexico". If you look up Grupo Gonher - they say they make car batteries.

So I am putting 2 + 2 together and it sounds like EP is using its relationship with walmart to sell Grupo Gonher batteries to Walmart. Not much different than many of the JCI walmart batteries coming Spain i suppose?

If you look at the East Penn literature they say they have a relationship with "Grupo Gonher de Mexico". If you look up Grupo Gonher - they say they make car batteries.

So I am putting 2 + 2 together and it sounds like EP is using its relationship with walmart to sell Grupo Gonher batteries to Walmart. Not much different than many of the JCI walmart batteries coming Spain i suppose?
I needed a 27F battery recently, and the EP at O’Reilly was also made in Mexico. So its not just the value line at WM.

This is kinda CPR on an old thread, but I think it might be useful... On 4/15/2023 I looked at a bunch of batteries on the WalMart rack in Butte MT, and all were JCI serial.

I swap batteries around in my "fleet" with the things that "have" to start - regardless (primary vehicles, fire pump) getting the new ones about every 5 years, and doing my best to use what's left of the uncertain life of batteries among the rest of my uses (local and property vehicles, backup generators, battery backups). I've come close to getting everything to be able to use a 34/78 dual terminal one way or another. My old Chevy Lumina with the washer reservoir formed around the side terminal (only) battery, and the new Ford Fusion with the short battery shoved under the windshield, are irritating exceptions. There's really no need for either and think about how much better off we'd all be if there was one mass produced battery that fit all of our ICE vehicles!

I don't know what was going on in the early years of this century with Costco and their batteries, but I recently turned in a 34/78 battery that did 10+ years of abusive good service (plus another 7+ years of scraping by), and today I decided to keep another Costco battery because it passed a load test (28 f) and still started my (property only) truck - placed in service in 2004! These had 100 month warranties, and I believe they were EP batteries. I wish I could by a few more of those. Costco is now Interstate.

Today I settled for a JC 78 series 600 CCA Value cheapie from WM, and an Exide brand of 34/78 DT 800 CCA from the ranch store that was having a 20% off sale - $58 and $71 respectively. I might be my own worst enemy in trying to get quality products on the market! The problem is that the selection is limited in my market, I can't pay more than double for something not twice as good, and what I bought I think will work for their intended application (the cheapie batt is going in an end of life vehicle, and because it isn't DT, I can't swap it out),

The two batteries I purchased today were to replace a 9 year old Exide brand that suddenly leaked and died. That battery was the one that replaced another Exide (I believe) brand that also leaked and had proactively replaced the Costco battery from 2004 that was granted a stay of execution today since it was still working perfectly. The other battery is to rotate back a 9 year old Exide brand that is still going strong, but is in a role too critical for its age. I can't really fault the batteries dying, but I could do without the leaking!

Thinking back, I don't think I've had a life or leakage disappointment with the EP batteries, and that says a lot, because I run them to the bitter end, and leaks, especially, are a PITA. I was hoping to buy at least one today, but also having other things to do, I had to settle for what I could find. Batteries are a mixed lot, but from what I can see, there are differences in what's on the market. I believe that EP is making a quality product,

If anyone is near Reading, PA there is a Deka plant not far south of I78 in Fleetwood that has a small retail area that you can get their batteries for dirt cheap. Most are mislabeled or have a scratch in the plastic but cheap.

Back