Best battery for cold weather

Whew, talk about going off topic. It does seem wind chill definitions include 2 definitions: the effect of wind across a surface and the feel/perception/effect of wind on the skin, which batteries don't have. I don't equate the rate of cooling effect the same as wind chill. Maybe semantics in play here?

To me, wind chill index and heat index are similar in that they are about human/animal feelings. I would suppose that a radiator would work equally well at 90F in dry Arizona (heat index 93F) vs. 90F in humid Louisiana (heat index 104F), correct?

I'm awaiting the OP's decision! I can feel the agony 90 miles away.

Last edited:
Whew, talk about going off topic. It does seem wind chill definitions include 2 definitions: the effect of wind across a surface and the feel/perception/effect of wind on the skin, which batteries don't have. I don't equate the rate of cooling effect the same as wind chill. Maybe semantics in play here?

To me, wind chill index and heat index are similar in that they are about human/animal feelings. I would suppose that a radiator would work equally well at 90F in dry Arizona (heat index 93F) vs. 90F in humid Louisiana (heat index 104F), correct?

I'm awaiting the OP's decision! I can feel the agony 90 miles away.
I'm awaiting the OP's decision! I can feel the agony 90 miles away. LOLOLOL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You crack me up!

Sorry my electricity went out for a couple of hours...interesting since we are talking about batteries!!!

I found the Deka Battery online at a place called Battery Shack in Sterling Heights. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what their supply/stock is, and hopefully get that one. The 24F or the 34R.
I did email NAPA and asked them why they do not have the NAPA Legend Premium in stock anymore. However, I did see an article that they
have partnered with AAA. The NAPA Legend Premium now has the AAA logo on it, on the NAPA website. But of course it is still made by East Penn, and has the same specs as the NAPA one did. I really don't want to go with the lower CCA NAPA one, because those specs are pretty close to the Honda one I have in there now.

So that is where I am, hopefully the batteries are in stock, and I can get one tomorrow or Tuesday.

It really has been an enjoyable afternoon everyone thank you so very much for your time and expertise. I really learned alot as always!

OK, a group size 24F.
East Penn manufactures a flooded 24F battery that is rated at 725CCA. It will be available under different names, depending on where you buy it. "Deka Ultimate" is East Penn's retail brand name for this battery.

The group 34R battery is rated at 800CCA. It is 1" shorter than the 24F, 1/8" wider, and the same length as 24F.
Oops! The Deka Ultimate is an AGM battery, not a flooded battery. The Deka Gold is flooded, and the CCA for 24F size is 650CCA and for the 34R size is 690CCA.

East Penn AGM batteries are not very fussy about charge voltage, as long as your charging system does not exceed 14.8V at a battery temp of 77F.

Oops! The Deka Ultimate is an AGM battery, not a flooded battery. The Deka Gold is flooded, and the CCA for 24F size is 650CCA and for the 34R size is 690CCA.

East Penn AGM batteries are not very fussy about charge voltage, as long as your charging system does not exceed 14.8V at a battery temp of 77F.

OK,..so I researched this right before I lost power...ugh LOL...
I saw online the Deka Ultimate 724FMF flooded 890CA and 725CCA
The Deka 734RMF 985CA and 800CCA that is the one that is 1 inch shorter. than the NAPA 24F.

Looks like AutoValue stores can get Deka batteries also (15% off online coupon). BatteryShack has a $10 coupon online.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcs
...I saw online the Deka Ultimate 724FMF flooded....
Deka Ultimate is AGM, not flooded. It will likely be compatible with your Honda's charging system, even though your OEM battery was a flooded construction.

Deka Ultimate is AGM, not flooded. It will likely be compatible with your Honda's charging system, even though your OEM battery was a flooded construction.
Ok I will check it out thanks! Although some folks say don’t use AGM if your car came with flooded…thanks again

OK,..so I researched this right before I lost power...ugh LOL...
I saw online the Deka Ultimate 724FMF flooded 890CA and 725CCA
The Deka 734RMF 985CA and 800CCA that is the one that is 1 inch shorter. than the NAPA 24F.
You are right, the Ultimate is flooded. The chart from East-Penn is very confusing in how it is laid out, and you have to read the fine print and look for footnote #13 to discover that it is not AGM.

You are right, the Ultimate is flooded. The chart from East-Penn is very confusing in how it is laid out, and you have to read the fine print and look for footnote #13 to discover that it is not AGM.

Awesome👍😁 I am going to call the Battery Place tomorrow…I will keep you posted.
yes it is a confusing chart with the MF and FMF letters for descriptions I am not sure what that means but will ask the battery store.

I found the Deka Battery online at a place called Battery Shack in Sterling Heights. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what their supply/stock is, and hopefully get that one. The 24F or the 34R.
Forget the 34R battery. While it fits, it's not the spec'd battery. I mentioned earlier that this NAPA dealer tried to sell you a battery they conveniently had in stock the last time you bought a battery and they tried it again when they tried to sell you the 1" taller battery.

Forget the 34R battery. While it fits, it's not the spec'd battery. I mentioned earlier that this NAPA dealer tried to sell you a battery they conveniently had in stock the last time you bought a battery and they tried it again when they tried to sell you the 1" taller battery.
Good thought Hall! I will stay with the 24F👍

Good day everyone! The order has been placed for the Deka 24F Ultimate flooded 890Ca and 725CCA !!!😊😊😊😊 Yeah!
I pick it up tomorrow because they had to order it. The place was Battery Shack here in Michigan. They actually have a Deka
warehouse here in Michigan also at least that is what the guy told me. So he guaranteed a fresh November battery. I told him if
it wasn't a good date code I will reject it. He stated it is hard to keep them in stock, he is to my knowledge the only one in my area that carries this brand.

So a very big hug🤗 to ALL of you who took your time and especially your patience to help me navigate through this dilemma, and of course provided your expertise.

I am going to have the dealership install it tomorrow when I have my oil changed!

Good day everyone! The order has been placed for the Deka 24F Ultimate flooded 890Ca and 725CCA !!!😊😊😊😊 Yeah!
I pick it up tomorrow because they had to order it. The place was Battery Shack here in Michigan. They actually have a Deka
warehouse here in Michigan also at least that is what the guy told me. So he guaranteed a fresh November battery. I told him if
it wasn't a good date code I will reject it. He stated it is hard to keep them in stock, he is to my knowledge the only one in my area that carries this brand.

So a very big hug🤗 to ALL of you who took your time and especially your patience to help me navigate through this dilemma, and of course provided your expertise.

I am going to have the dealership install it tomorrow when I have my oil changed!
That's good news! Be sure to get the old battery back from the dealership if Battery Shack bills you for a core exchange charge. It may only be ~$15, but it helps defray the cost of the Deka battery.

That's good news! Be sure to get the old battery back from the dealership if Battery Shack bills you for a core exchange charge. It may only be ~$15, but it helps defray the cost of the Deka battery.
Great excellent! I will, I did intend to get it back from the dealership. The guy at Battery Shack did ask me about an exchange battery. Thanks!

Last edited:
...I am going to have the dealership install it tomorrow when I have my oil changed!
If you own a battery charger, it would be a good idea IMO to connect it to this new battery. Or take a 3-4 hour trip in your car. A half hour trip in the car will only get the battery to around 80% state of charge. Getting it to a 97% state of charge takes an additional 2-3 hours of charging. Modern automotive battery management systems (and most external chargers) will not get the battery to a true 100% state of charge.

If you own a battery charger, it would be a good idea IMO to connect it to this new battery. Or take a 3-4 hour trip in your car. A half hour trip in the car will only get the battery to around 80% state of charge. Getting it to a 97% state of charge takes an additional 2-3 hours of charging. Modern automotive battery management systems (and most external chargers) will not get the battery to a true 100% state of charge.
Ok well that scares me!:eek: Because I cannot take a 3 to 4 hours trip, not with work or on the weekends. It will be hard to drive around for 3 hours also. I don't know where I would go! They told me the battery comes full charged. I was going to ask the dealership while they are doing my oil change to check the Deka and give it some juice of it needs it. But now that you say it will not work to give it 100% with an external charger that is concerning.:(

I upgraded my Honda CR-V from the 51R to 24F Walmart MAXX last month. it has a 3 year warranty, and Walmart had it online at online only rollback for $88.00 + tax last month. Check online before buying at Walmart. The sores sometimes do not list the online price, and sometimes it is significantly lower. The Walmart store listed it at $119.99 the one I bought listed the CCA at 725 and tested at 1,116 CCA

BTW, that Walmart had the 51R MAXX for $159.99

You can buy the same battery with different stickers on it at auto-parts stores for more money, or buy one from Walmart and the ones at Walmart move off the shelves faster so they are not as old when you buy them.

Reactions: rcs
Ok well that scares me!:eek: Because I cannot take a 3 to 4 hours trip, not with work or on the weekends. It will be hard to drive around for 3 hours also. I don't know where I would go! They told me the battery comes full charged. I was going to ask the dealership while they are doing my oil change to check the Deka and give it some juice of it needs it. But now that you say it will not work to give it 100% with an external charger that is concerning.:(
Don't need to over-react to what SubLGT recommended. While his suggestion is theoretically a good practice to "optimize" the battery's initial state of charge, nearly everyone just installs the new battery and drive away normally without any detrimental effect on the battery's lifespan. If you are that concerned, just request the Batteries Shack store to put it on a charger overnight before you pick it up. Tell them up-front that you expect to see their test results for the Deka battery's state of charge % when you pick it up.

Back