Reliability of your home "wired" wifi service.

I just wanted to ask everyone how reliable is their home wifi "wired" internet connection to their home.

I'm currently using a mobile broadband 5G router as my main internet service at home (which is rock solid reliable) - It only had 1 bad day in the last 2 years.

I've heard stories from people at work that their wired home internet goes down about one or twice a month.

But wanted to ask how reliable wired home internet is in general for most people.
How many times does it go down per month or per year? Thanks.

Verizon Fios. Have not had an outage in 5 years. I’m only about ½ mile from the source so that helps. Any outage is always from tree branches falling during storms. If cable was underground I would anticipate zero outages.

I just wanted to ask everyone how reliable is their home wifi "wired" internet connection to their home.

I'm currently using a mobile broadband 5G router as my main internet service at home (which is rock solid reliable) - It only had 1 bad day in the last 2 years.

I've heard stories from people at work that their wired home internet goes down about one or twice a month.

But wanted to ask how reliable wired home internet is in general for most people.
How many times does it go down per month or per year? Thanks.

It sometimes goes down at night for a few minutes, could be updates. Maybe once a month.

Are you restricted in terms of how many GBs of data you can transfer per month?

With respect to my wired internet, in 10+ years, I only recall it going down once, and that was not a fault of the ISP - landscaping company cut some wires outside the house.

Wired? As in cable? Mine was getting pretty bad, with several outages per month. I had the opportunity to switch to fiber optic and made the switch.
The only slowdowns now are due to the servers at the other end, such as the Superbowl.

We have had Spectrum. It's about 97% reliable as long as someone doesn't hit a pole or the occational tree limb falls. Sometimes they do updates or service in the middle of the night so that's okay.

I used to be a customer of Spectrum since they were Time Warner. Never had an outage - even during extended power outages. If I could keep the cable modem powered up. Was always very impressed with their service.

Until last summer. It started going out sporadically for everyone on our road. I called Spectrum and they sent someone 2 or 3 times to replace the cable modem and check the wiring to my house and then claimed it was my router causing the problem. Even though I kept mentioning that it was going out for everyone else on the road.

When they started threatening to charge me for service calls, we made the call to switch to Windstream. In under 24 hours from my initial call , we had fiber in the house. That includes running fiber cable from the pole to my pole, then under the yard to the house and installing the ONT.

Gig Internet is way more than we need unless we're downloading a new game from steam or something. It's been great so far. During the last power outage , the UPS failed so I wasn't able to tell if it's able to stay up when the power goes out.

I have had bad luck dealing with Windstream in the past but I think they're trying to get / keep customers on the fiber side of things so they are doing an okay job for now

In South Carolina we have a company called Comporium. Seems pretty reliable. Have had a few outages, but nothing major. I have their 600MB fiber service. Didn't go with a 1GB or 2GB fiber line. We mostly use wi-fi anyway, and my mesh system can only do up to 500Mb, and that's right next to a pod. Typically I get 225-250MB throughput. Which is fine for gaming, streaming, etc.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like wired internet is very reliable, and main problem is above ground wires on the telephone poles getting damaged by tree limbs (snow or high winds).

I got rid of the copper and went to fiber when the speed more than tripled to 1G up and down from 300/50 on the cable. I also save $25 a month on the fiber. The cable performed well with few interruptions, the fiber has had a few outages but mostly due to the ongoing infrastructure construction all over town.

I can think on one hand the amount of times wired internet has gone down in the last 10 years.

My Xfinity used to go down about once a month but it's gotten a lot better the past few years. Can't remember when it went down last. It's been solid.

10yrs in the house, once had a 30min interruption. The company is local, Stratus IQ, fiber. Wife works from home 100% of time, and stability is imperative.
On the other hand, Xfinity in the neighborhood is an absolute crap show.

I had an outage with Cox Cable last month. Prior to that instance...a few years ago during a storm for a couple hours??? It was a good thing there WAS an outage because I found out one of their reps added a $5 charge to my bill without my knowledge. I'd called last August to ask about a lower price because they raised the service from 250 to 500 and I saw something that was $20 less for the 250...which I've been fine with. She said yes but it will be $75. Fine...save $15 a month. With last month's outage, the rep said he would send out a tech and no charge due to the monthly $5 repair deal, which I never asked for or knew about. He took it off and credited my bill for the $35 I was charged over the last seven months. Reliable internet, but these sales people!:mad: Still better than Quantum's CS!

New home, have fiber, no issues of any significance in one full year.
We would know if any issues, our connection is constant, my wife’s workstation running during the day or any of my computers, right through the evening when we stream TV.
When we aren’t home, our security system instantly would alert us if the Internet went down.

Reliable 300/300 service (and we actually get that speed), $57.95 actual monthly payment

Last edited:
New home, have fiber, no issues of any significance in one full year.
We would know if any issues, our connection is constant, my wife’s workstation running during the day or any of my computers, right through the evening when we stream TV.
When we aren’t home, our security system instantly would alert us if the Internet went down.

Reliable 300/300 service (and we actually get that speed), $57.95 actual monthly payment
300/300M or G? 300MEG seems slow for fiber, 300GIG is astounding. I pay $55 for 1G up and down and can get up to 10G up and down for a higher price. Not needed.

We dumped Xfinity cable internet about 6 months ago and switched to Frontier fiber. Now I swore I would never use Frontier again but both companies suck. Very reliable and auto payment via credit card reduces dealing with their customer service. Our only outage in six months occurred when Billy-Bob took out a pole in his jacked up pick-up

300/300M or G? 300MEG seems slow for fiber, 300GIG is astounding. I pay $55 for 1G up and down and can get up to 10G up and down for a higher price. Not needed.
You have a great price that cant be had here on the East Coast... or anywhere else that I know of. I see even in your state some prices from some companies are at $95 for 1g service and 300mbps is $65 from Wyyerd fiber in WY. So enjoy it, hopefully it stays that was for you. Though where we are might be considered rural along the coast here, have no idea.

We have a good price within a few states of us ( I think) for the 300/300 Mbps @ $57.95 actual payment. Our last home in South Carolina was up to around $80 for 200/12 Mbps service.

I dont consider it slow at all, it's not possible for us to use that speed at the current time, maybe when 8K TV comes out?
Our company does offer offer 500/500 and 1G service at 67.95 and 77.95 respectfully but I have no use for it. Kind of like putting premium gas in a car made for regular gas in our household we wouldnt be able to use all that bandwidth at one time.

Last edited:
For the last two years the only down time has been during power outages. About every 3 months I do a manual reset to clear the routers throat so to speak.

Back