Cheap Electricity in our new energy efficient home - Compare if you can

Service From: 05/31/2023 To: 06/30/2023
Wholesale Power Cost 1,301 kWh for $81.88
Bluebonnet Residential Service
65.49(Includes $22.50 Service Availability Charge)
Current Charges $147.37

81.88 divided by 1301 =

147.37 divided by 1301 = 0.11327440

Dale,Tx

Old house. Energy inefficient and window ac units. Quite warm here I might add. LOL

Last edited:
Here in NE ohio I average about 15-16cents/kwh doesnt vary much with usage.
500 or 900kwh used the cost is still within a couple of bucks of the 15.5cents estimate.

I posted in previous threads about this(with actual bills). I looked for a min but couldnt find them.

Yeah, and regular gas is close to $5 per gallon around here. Solar works for me.
I live for peanuts nowadays. Took some doing to get here...
I paid $2,96 a gallon at the beach the other day and it was name brand Shell gasoline 🙃

Since I’m into electronics way more so than the general public if I lived “over there” I would be in awe over your solar system.
I saw a few in operation close up on our east coast a while ago with the electronics mounted outside the home near the electric meter.

I could swear I saw that my new electric utility pays back the exact retail price, I’ll verify. With all that said power is so cheap here that panels on homes are a pretty rare site.
Heck my last community of 15 years panels were banned by the HOA until 2 years ago and only allowed if out of sight on the back of homes with a possible exemption for shingle panels.
I wouldn’t mind a limited number in our new community just to supplement the daytime operation of the HVAC system because I love electronics but only if other taxpayers paid the full cost 🤗
I have no idea how much longer I may be in this earth or if this particular home is our final destination 😬 so too costly for a return. Come to think of it I don’t think I’ve seen any here, maybe one but not sure in our community of I think we’ll over 1000 homes.

Last edited:
Too much effort to do multiple screen shots and edit out personal info because it’s split apart on multiple pages….. our utility charges a “flat rate” per kWh, but they have a bunch of adjustments and riders like fuel cost, transportation/delivery and blah blah blah that get tacked on. We have no other choice for electricity.

1,192kWh used
Customer charge: $13.50
Energy Use: $166.47
Tax: $12.60

And no, I’m not running an arc furnace in my living room, my highest was 1,598kWh last July 😅 wife was hella pregnant and insisted on the AC being cranked, who am I to argue lol
That works out to an all-in rate of $0.1616/kWh :)

Service From: 05/31/2023 To: 06/30/2023
Wholesale Power Cost 1,301 kWh for $81.88
Bluebonnet Residential Service
65.49(Includes $22.50 Service Availability Charge)
Current Charges $147.37

81.88 divided by 1301 =

147.37 divided by 1301 = 0.11327440

Dale,Tx

Old house. Energy inefficient and window ac units. Quite warm here I might add. LOL
Great price!

Our kWh rate as shown on my bill @ 10 cents in the OP is great but with the service charge my total bill isnt that great. Meaning being I use so little electricity even running the HVAC 24/7 the service charge cost a significant part of the bill at $29 and brings up my actual cost of energy to 17 cent kWh.
However if I used the same energy as you at 1301 my actual cost would be 13 cents a kWh...
The more electric I use my actual total cost per kWh of energy used comes out to less even though of course the bill is more.

This month last year in our 16 year old larger home (3000 sq ft) I used just over 1,400 kWr... now new home, smaller (1800 sq ft) and I still cant believe how little I use. But ironically the actual kWh price tag is higher even though the bill lower.

Last edited:
I live in the Sou. Cal mountains and my rate is $0.30 per kWh. It can go up to $0.40 or even $0.45 if i cross into the high usage tier but I rarely hit the medium level. But there are also a bunch of other charges added to the bill, and then I qualify for their CARE discount for senior citizens which I subsidized since I was 18 and certainly deserve it now.

My last bill was for 389 kW and totaled $83.94. My home was built in 2018 so it has all the latest energy efficient features. I do rely on propane though for the furnace, stove/oven and dryer. And that is very expensive in the winter months. I paid around $2000 for a five month supply which was more than a 20% increase over the previous year due to the increases in propane rates.

It can get hot for a few weeks in the summer with daytime temps in the mid 80's but it cools down at night so I just open the windows and turn on fans. I can't imagine running the air conditioner 24/7. Actually when I lived in Virginia I did due to the humidity in the summer which was miserable. And I remember getting electric bills for $300 which was a lot of money in the mid 1990's.

Back