Cheap Electricity in our new energy efficient home - Compare if you can

IMG_3913.jpeg

13.9 cents/kWH last month all in. Some of that was still at the cheaper winter rate.

I don't have all that gobby-gook, but I do have this info-

A co-worker built a ~3600 sf home last year, conventional wood-frame, Hardi-plank sided home in west central GA.

I strongly advised him to have the roof sprayed at a minimum, I said the walls really don't matter. Have the best glazing put in you can afford on the east, west and south side (get the SHGC numbers from the window maker) and install Daikin or Mistubishi inverter-driven HVAC equipment.

His house is all-electric, he did put in a Rheem heat pump water heater.

4 occupants, wife stays at home, they keep the house 68-70 during the day, 64-66 at night. Remember, this is Georgia.

He said his power bill was $136 last month.

Contrast to mine-

2500 sf, we don't run the upstairs unit (~550 sf) much, keep the Tstat on 78-80 up there.
Two people, both gone during the day and Tstat goes to 80 at 7:30 am.
4-ton "regular" HVAC system for downstairs
Gas water heater and stove
poor roof insulation

We do have a 1.5 and 3/4 hp pool pump, the 1.5 hp pool pump runs about 8 hours a day.

Our bill was $217 last month.

I have two units, up and downstairs. About 3200 sq ft. with Google Nest thermostats.

Attachments

• Electric bill.jpg
    Electric bill.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
Here's mine for the month of June...2400 sq. ft. house with electric water heater, electric range and oven, electric dryer. A/C cooling to 75 during the day and 72 at night. Also have two dehumidifiers that are running more often than not. Just my wife and I and our 3-year-old.
View attachment 166507
Best rate I have seen at 10.5 (ish) cents kWh total cost (actual payment cost of electric)

What's interesting is I was at $10.52, plus 7.717 cents per kWh for delivery. Then 10.139 cents per kWh for supply. To use your 503 kWh example, I'd be at $101.14, more than yours.

Now, I dropped the supply portion to 5.9 cents per kWh, and that would be $79.01, lower than yours. Our fixed is $10.52 plus variable--you have a fixed portion built in, that is much more at $29.75.

This is an old bill before the change to 5.9 cents per kWh

View attachment 166508
Your Total cost on this bill is 22 cents kWr. Total of bill divided by 218 kWh
That is why I thought best to compare rates, the actual payment amount since utilities structure bills all kinds of crazy ways the most accurate is to take the total amount of the bill and divide the kWh that you used.

Its really the only way to compare but yes, the more energy that you use will be a sliding scale to lower cost because for example the month service charge for me is fixed so additional electric cost is 10 cents kWr.
Great thread will be interesting to look at in depth when time.

Best rate I have seen at 10.5 (ish) cents kWh total cost (actual payment cost of electric)
Yes, electric is cheap here and gas is even cheaper which is really what matters for the winters. ND produces 6X more energy than what it consumes....coal followed by wind.

Soooo, ummm, they pay you 9 cents a kWh for the excess you feed into the grid and charge your neighbor 39 or 41 cents for the same KW?
I have to admit I am not 100% sure how NEM2 Net Metering works. What I do know is I pay a daily rate for grid use; my bill for that is usually $9 and change. That's reflected in the 1st attachment. My monthly bill runs from $0 to $12. My March annual true up has always been zero. I have never received a check of any kind.

Perhaps @OVERKILL or @UncleDave can better explain Net Metering. I will say I love my solar. It has worked out better than I could have inagined, especially because I charge the EV. Works well for my use case.

I still hate PG&E. They burn down our forrests and blow up our cities due to greed and mis-management.

Last edited:
I have to admit I am not 100% sure how NEM2 Net Metering works. What I do know is I pay a daily rate for grid use; my bill for that is usually $9 and change. That's reflected in the 1st attachment. My monthly bill runs from $0 to $12. My March annual true up has always been zero. I have never received a check of any kind.

Perhaps @OVERKILL or @UncleDave can better explain Net Metering. I will say I love my solar. It has worked out better than I could have inagined, especially because I charge the EV. Works well for my use case.

I still hate PG&E. They burn down our forrests and blow up our cities due to greed and mis-management.
Net metering is different everywhere. It is 1 for 1 here, retail to retail but any excess is banked and if you have excess at true-up, it rolls to the next year.

Net metering is different everywhere. It is 1 for 1 here, retail to retail but any excess is banked and if you have excess at true-up, it rolls to the next year.
Mine resets every year. Month to month rollover of course, but not annual. With the horrible CA energy prices, it was a no-brainer for me.

For the past 10 years or so I've had plans that paid a credit if you used AT LEAST 1000 kw/mo. Always thought that was wasteful but did my part. Got $95 a month to go from 999 to 1001. Averaged $55-70/mo, around 6 cents/kw all in. All electric 1500 sq ft in TX with 3 ton central ac and heat strips, well and pumped septic. Spring/Fall I had to run space heaters outside to hit my 1000. I knew exactly to the hour when the meter was auto-read and my personal best was a 1003 once. Those plans are not offered now and I pay 14.7 cents/kw. And am no longer running space htrs to waste juice lol.

Too much effort to do multiple screen shots and edit out personal info because it’s split apart on multiple pages….. our utility charges a “flat rate” per kWh, but they have a bunch of adjustments and riders like fuel cost, transportation/delivery and blah blah blah that get tacked on. We have no other choice for electricity.

1,192kWh used
Customer charge: $13.50
Energy Use: $166.47
Tax: $12.60

And no, I’m not running an arc furnace in my living room, my highest was 1,598kWh last July 😅 wife was hella pregnant and insisted on the AC being cranked, who am I to argue lol

That is a LOT of consumption, over 100kWh/day, 3 times the average consumption, is that the Tesla doing that?

Tesla is maybe 10-15 a day. 4 AC units, a pool pump, 2 dehumidifiers, 4 fridges and a freezer are probably the big consumers. All LED lighting.

Back