Cheap Electricity in our new energy efficient home - Compare if you can

It would be cool if we could share a cut and paste electric bills WITHOUT your personal information on them.
They vary so much across the country and with the advent of the EV can make a big difference.

Since moving to SC in a new home 15 years ago I couldn't believe how cheap electric is compared to the Metro NY area. More so as we NEVER open our windows, it's either heat or AC.
But now, just a couple months back, still in the south but a brand new home near the coast (so just a tad cooler) in NC. This home much smaller than the last being the kids are now grown and our of the house, it our "retirement" home 1800 Sq Ft.

Im not sure but I think the newest insulation r15 sidewalls and blown in attic, plus extensive measures to seal every nook and cranny including all wiring and plumbing holes in the framing plus a certified air infiltration test before we moved in. (unsure if all these measures are the code or the builder marketing but its significant how the house is sealed) Because of the sealing the air return in the HVAC system has a small electronically damper controlled vent that will open up (you cant see it, unless you remove the filter) to allow a controlled amount of air exchange, from what I understand when I asked what it was.

Anyway, my electric bill in a home where the AC runs 24 hours a day, first test in the warm weather was under $100 50% less than the last house, granted much bigger home but still, $87? *LOL*

Anyway, here is my bill, It would be cool to compare prices across the country if you can post. The problem with forums is sometimes people will post what electric costs without taking into account all the other charges on the bill, by being able to post the bill you can figure out someone else's real cost taking into account the add ons as this is the only way to accurately compare.
Here is this months bill for our new home, AC on 24 hours a day-
I pay a flat rate of 10 cents a kWh 24 hours a day 7 days a week

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.09.25 AM.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have the OPTION to elect "time of use rates" below but wouldn't be worth it to me, as the Base charge is higher and at the ten cents above that I pay above for flat rate doesnt make it worth it, yet I can see MAYBE someone with an EV might be better off?
This is the option my company offers but I am not taking, Im posting so others can compare of they opt for time of use rates =
Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.09.46 AM.png

Last edited:
Ummm, it was 76 degrees outside, on average. Wouldn't expect the HVAC to be working much in that, but yes, the pressure test of the house is code now, at least in VA where we are presently building.
15 SEER is the Fed min for an HVAC now too.

Illinois deregulated the electric utilities as far as their billing about 15 years ago. Went to a base meter charge for me of $40 a month. Then all the add ons. This is an old rate schedule but still the same kwh charge. Some of the others change per month.

It's a coop and our rates are going up 2.3% this year on average. Been stable for about 10 years now, this is the current rate and since 2013.

Not much AC this year and I finished insulating the attic with another layer of bats last year. Only if it doesn't cool off at night or is oppressively humid do I need it here in Illinois now. My bill runs around $100 a month.

EASTERN ILLINI ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE
PAXTON, ILLINOIS

GENERAL SERVICE - SINGLE-PHASE
RATE SCHEDULE 1

Availability
This rate schedule is available to all member/owners for all uses, including lighting, heating and power,
subject to the established rules and regulations of the Cooperative. Service under this schedule to
installations requiring more than 75 kVA of transformer capacity is subject to approval by the
Cooperative on a case-by-case basis. Approval of the Cooperative must be obtained prior to installation
of any motor requiring starting current in excess of 260 amperes. The availability of this rate is extended
to all member/owners previously served under Rate Schedule 26.

Type of Service
Single phase, 60 cycles, at available voltages.

Rate Components
DISTRIBUTION
Base:
The base charge shall be $40 per month for service requiring 50 kVA or less of
transformer capacity. For services requiring more than 50 kVA of transformer capacity,
the base charge shall be increased at a rate of 50 cents for each additional kVA, or
fraction thereof, required.

Delivery:
First 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month @ 3.767 cents per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh per month @ 1.767 cents per kWh

ELECTRIC SUPPLY
Energy:
All kWh per month @ 3.432 cents per kWh

Transmission:
All kWh per month @ 1.443 cents per kWh

Generation:
First 1,000 kWh per month @ 4.647 cents per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh per month @ 2.647 cents per kWh

@OVERKILL
I think I saw the battery banks I was telling you about that my electric utility uses to release energy during high wholesale cost peaks times and recharge at low wholesale cost times yesterday. (the other thread got locked) It was a substation and lined with white vented boxes about 6 feet tall and a few feet wide, there were a lot of them. We were on our way back from the beach and rushing to get home on a double lane highway, just didnt have the time to turn around and get a picture but I will at some point. Im positive (as sure as I can be that is what I was looking at simply because I never saw anything like it in a substation/distribution point. I cant be more specific I caught it as I was driving by on the other side of the road @ 55 MPH

Illinois deregulated the electric utilities as far as their billing about 15 years ago. Went to a base meter charge for me of $40 a month. Then all the add ons. This is an old rate schedule but still the same kwh charge. Some of the others change per month.

It's a coop and our rates are going up 2.3% this year on average. Been stable for about 10 years now, this is the current rate and since 2013.

Not much AC this year and I finished insulating the attic with another layer of bats last year. Only if it doesn't cool off at night or is oppressively humid do I need it here in Illinois now. My bill runs around $100 a month.

EASTERN ILLINI ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE
PAXTON, ILLINOIS

GENERAL SERVICE - SINGLE-PHASE
RATE SCHEDULE 1

Availability
This rate schedule is available to all member/owners for all uses, including lighting, heating and power,
subject to the established rules and regulations of the Cooperative. Service under this schedule to
installations requiring more than 75 kVA of transformer capacity is subject to approval by the
Cooperative on a case-by-case basis. Approval of the Cooperative must be obtained prior to installation
of any motor requiring starting current in excess of 260 amperes. The availability of this rate is extended
to all member/owners previously served under Rate Schedule 26.

Type of Service
Single phase, 60 cycles, at available voltages.

Rate Components
DISTRIBUTION
Base:
The base charge shall be $40 per month for service requiring 50 kVA or less of
transformer capacity. For services requiring more than 50 kVA of transformer capacity,
the base charge shall be increased at a rate of 50 cents for each additional kVA, or
fraction thereof, required.

Delivery:
First 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per month @ 3.767 cents per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh per month @ 1.767 cents per kWh

ELECTRIC SUPPLY
Energy:
All kWh per month @ 3.432 cents per kWh

Transmission:
All kWh per month @ 1.443 cents per kWh

Generation:
First 1,000 kWh per month @ 4.647 cents per kWh
Over 1,000 kWh per month @ 2.647 cents per kWh
SO if I added correctly 13.10 cents kWh... and once you hit 1000 kWh an additional 1.7 cents kWh
Im surprised at the detailed break down, first time I saw something like this and why I thought it might be a cool thread.

Here's mine from ComED in the chicago suburbs; I live alone in a ~1300 sqft townhouse with a natgas stove and water heater. Biggest power user is my computer - thermostat is usually at 77.

1689177125995.png
1689177139042.png

SO if I added correctly 13.10 cents kWh... and once you hit 1000 kWh an additional 1.7 cents kWh
Im surprised at the detailed break down, first time I saw something like this and why I thought it might be a cool thread.
It use to be a flat rate of around 14 cents a KWH before they did this. Looks like 1987 they changed to this style rate. If you want solar or generate your own power there are quite the liability limits they put on you with million dollar insurance policies required. A lot of farmers and elevators putting up big 20 panel 10K systems though.

I tell people all the time it's cheaper to ECO the house than invest in solar on your roof. You just made my point. When an appliance wears out replace it with the most efficient you can afford and makes sense with ROI.

I tell people all the time it's cheaper to ECO the house than invest in solar on your roof. You just made my point. When an appliance wears out replace it with the most efficient you can afford and makes sense with ROI.
Largely depends on the climate zone in which you live combined with altitude.

It would be cool if we could share a cut and paste electric bills WITHOUT your personal information on them.
They vary so much across the country and with the advent of the EV can make a big difference.

Since moving to SC in a new home 15 years ago I couldn't believe how cheap electric is compared to the Metro NY area. More so as we NEVER open our windows, it's either heat or AC.
But now, just a couple months back, still in the south but a brand new home near the coast (so just a tad cooler) in NC. This home much smaller than the last being the kids are now grown and our of the house, it our "retirement" home 1800 Sq Ft.

Im not sure but I think the newest insulation r15 sidewalls and blown in attic, plus extensive measures to seal every nook and cranny including all wiring and plumbing holes in the framing plus a certified air infiltration test before we moved in. (unsure if all these measures are the code or the builder marketing but its significant how the house is sealed) Because of the sealing the air return in the HVAC system has a small electronically damper controlled vent that will open up (you cant see it, unless you remove the filter) to allow a controlled amount of air exchange, from what I understand when I asked what it was.

Anyway, my electric bill in a home where the AC runs 24 hours a day, first test in the warm weather was under $100 50% less than the last house, granted much bigger home but still, $87? *LOL*

Anyway, here is my bill, It would be cool to compare prices across the country if you can post. The problem with forums is sometimes people will post what electric costs without taking into account all the other charges on the bill, by being able to post the bill you can figure out someone else's real cost taking into account the add ons as this is the only way to accurately compare.
Here is this months bill for our new home, AC on 24 hours a day-
I pay a flat rate of 10 cents a kWh 24 hours a day 7 days a week

View attachment 166491

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have the OPTION to elect "time of use rates" below but wouldn't be worth it to me, as the Base charge is higher and at the ten cents above that I pay above for flat rate doesnt make it worth it, yet I can see MAYBE someone with an EV might be better off?
This is the option my company offers but I am not taking, Im posting so others can compare of they opt for time of use rates =
View attachment 166495

You have what is called "supply-only ventilation" and it's the most common form of mechanical ventilation implemented in the US. It's required when the air exchanges per hour are reduced to around 5. Air sealing goes a long way towards improving occupant comfort and energy efficiency.

Last edited:
Here's mine for the month of June...2400 sq. ft. house with electric water heater, electric range and oven, electric dryer. A/C cooling to 75 during the day and 72 at night. Also have two dehumidifiers that are running more often than not. Just my wife and I and our 3-year-old.
1689180522596.png

My A/C is set at 71 degrees at all times in Ohio. My July bill total was $60.67. Base charge from Ohio Edison was $34.03. My usage was 413 KWH at a rate of .0645 (NOPEC) for a usage charge of $26.64.. I have no complaints.

What's interesting is I was at $10.52, plus 7.717 cents per kWh for delivery. Then 10.139 cents per kWh for supply. To use your 503 kWh example, I'd be at $101.14, more than yours.

Now, I dropped the supply portion to 5.9 cents per kWh, and that would be $79.01, lower than yours. Our fixed is $10.52 plus variable--you have a fixed portion built in, that is much more at $29.75.

This is an old bill before the change to 5.9 cents per kWh

pu76.JPG

I hate to admit it but I’m completely lazy as far as energy costs go. I pay $93 a month for electricity on a budget plan 12 months a year that allows me to run everything as much as I want for as long as I want. I’ve got a Mickey Mouse part time job that I can tune up the difference and pay for any overage at the end of the year. Great thing about being 72 and having some money to burn. You just don’t care anymore. Trying to live like you’re going to live forever gets very tiring.

I've done a lot of work in my attic over the last few years. Originally had three whirlybird turbines for exhaust, two large gable ends with 6-30"x6" eave vents. Did OK over the years with a white roof. Then got a dark roof with ridge ventilation. Big mistake. The 50 year old wood got so hot the resin was being driven out and dropping on the insulation underneath like amber.

But I fixed that by reverting back to the turbines and adding a 14" gable end exhaust vent, but it's mounted inside and used to blow air in. It's on a temp controller that is in the middle turbine base. Comes on at 116F. Hottest I've seen since is 130F.

Then I added another 8" of fiberglass batts.

I hate to admit it but I’m completely lazy as far as energy costs go. I pay $93 a month for electricity on a budget plan 12 months a year that allows me to run everything as much as I want for as long as I want. I’ve got a Mickey Mouse part time job that I can tune up the difference and pay for any overage at the end of the year. Great thing about being 72 and having some money to burn. You just don’t care anymore. Trying to live like you’re going to live forever gets very tiring.
I hear you...I tell myself one day when/if I retire, am I going to remember to switch this and that, etc.? I know for sure I won't have the energy (no pun intended) to argue with insurance cos. etc.

Today, my son and I waited for the school bus (summer school) and it never came. I drove him and called. When he came back, driver said we were on time and you weren't there. I can barely deal with this now, let alone in the future. It truly bothered me, say the bus is 8:07, we were there 8-820.

I just love how you stated just not caring anymore. Reminded me of the movie Office Space where Jennifer Aniston asks the guy how he's going to pay his bills, and he said I never liked paying bills, I don't think I will anymore :ROFLMAO:

Back