Misleading headline regarding home foreclosures; is there any integrity in media sources?

Sort of, depending on what fuzzy logic we include into the single family metric (which I would say is significantly less than 33m paid off mortgages we view as a normal single family home)

We get in my mind roughly half of “paid off” mortgages as being held by some type of investor. More fuzzy if you try to desern which are owned in proxy or foreign owned, let alone which are pure corporate.

So the reality is it’s likely only about a max of 18% of mortgages that are actually liquid without some type of encumbrance to freely move, add in the wide range of other legal encumbrances and even HOA bilaws and that number is likely even smaller for the free and clear owner lived in houses.

View attachment 215899

That said these investor owned, including the place I rent are most likely to dump into the market without warning at a large loss tossing the renters into the street as many areas still lack any meaningful amount of open rental property.

Graph matches what I've heard. Individuals rather than large corporations hold the majority of single family rentals.

Comments from Pulte Homes earnings released two days ago. Very positive outlook for those selling single family homes.

And despite interest rate headwinds, their average sales price only fell 1% YoY to $538,000.

PulteGroup President and CEO Ryan Marshall said in the release, “After more than a decade of underbuilding, it is estimated that our country has a structural shortage of several million homes.”

Combined w/ existing home supply locked-in, it seems like a pretty good time to be a home builder.

Graph matches what I've heard. Individuals rather than large corporations hold the majority of single family rentals.
Where are these rentals and what are the trends? Yes, in rural areas individuals own the majority of single-family rentals. In major metropolitan areas, the trend is unquestionably showing corporations owning a higher percentage of the single-family home market, and this trend continues year after year.

One has to look at the trend. It is not always where you are at- it is where the trend is going.

Where are these rentals and what are the trends? Yes, in rural areas individuals own the majority of single-family rentals. In major metropolitan areas, the trend is unquestionably showing corporations owning a higher percentage of the single-family home market, and this trend continues year after year.

One has to look at the trend. It is not always where you are at- it is where the trend is going.
Housing shortages are not limited to urban areas. In any case I'm seeing deals where individuals have over the last 3 yrs bought up to 10 investor properties in areas like LA and Austin TX,

Remember it's a good news story when the big bad corporation can be blamed for buying a bunch of new homes in a subdivision.

The sticky widget is that a place like Reutsch which controls 10’s of thousands of properties has hundreds or even thousands of “owners” in its umbrella to get around regional laws pertaining to interstate corporate ownership.

Some Management shells remove liability to the investor which muddies the reality making that graph mean less.

One must also understand is that some single family homes are mixed in with corporate loans and will flush with the rest of that market.

Corporate property being in mass foreclosure will trickle into private in a multitude of ways.

In Phila, 58 homicides, down 31%. This must mean Phila has really clamped down on crime for 2024. I would say rather it's au contraire, the wild west. It's astounding the DA has anything to say about it. So I could see this method being applied to forclosures, anything anyone wants really.

Do you think 58 is a low number for the first quarter?

Clickbait isn't new. It's just the latest form of sensationalism.

When I started paying attention to the news in the 1980s and on, newspaper headlines could be as sensationalist as clickbait titles are today.

Just a different form of an ages long practice.

This might be true right now, but I suspect it will change.

Yesterday I was in Morrow going to a plant to survey some renovations.

I saw what I will call a "mega-plex" of townhouses being built. Big sign out front says "New homes for lease". There is a ~3 year old new subdivision in Newnan that is 100% renter houses. Across the road is another new subdivision, built at the same time by the same builder, it's home buyers. These houses are about as cheap as you could possibly construct, 3-4 BR, 2 Ba, 10' from each other on what looks like 1/8th acre lots. I don't think my truck would fit in the driveway without sticking out on the sidewalk...

Far from my area of expertise but one of the things I have been told helping the home builders is the massive rise in home prices has made builder margins much higher. So they can buy down the mortgage rate for their buyer - layer it in to the building cost , and a new home becomes cheaper for the buyer than existing. The buy down number is supposed to end up in MLS somehow but a Fannie report not to long ago said most aren’t being reported properly? Maybe @BMWTurboDzl has some insight?

Back