Swamp coolers instead of air conditioning being installed in some new construction homes

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Does anyone know why swamp coolers are being installed in some new construction homes in the SouthWest of the U.S,? I did some google searching on the difference between a swamp cooler and air conditioner, and wasn't able to holistically grasp the benefits of air conditioner over a swamp cooler.

Swamp coolers have long been the low budget, lower cost alternative to air conditioning. In climates where the humidity is very low, they can be effective. On a 100+ day where the humidity is 20% or lower, they can lower the temps 20 to 30f. In more humid climates, not so much. The down side is that they can use quite a bit of water and are subject to mold if not cleaned.

https://learnmetrics.com/evaporative-cooler-chart-swamp-cooler/

Most everywhere “residential sized” swamp coolers are illegal .

No idea why but Walmart had one that looked dehumidifier sized but it was a swamp cooler, around here that would insta mold the house.

Not to mention it was $150 on clearance which is probably the biggest rip off I’ve ever seen for a wet box with a fan.

The only way a swamp cooler makes sense is if you could pull unlimited water from the ocean

Last edited:
Most everywhere “residential sized” swamp coolers are illegal .

No idea why but Walmart had one that looked dehumidifier sized but it was a swamp cooler, around here that would insta mold the house.

Not to mention it was $150 on clearance which is probably the biggest rip off I’ve ever seen for a wet box with a fan
It would be worse than useless here… Unless you live in guaranteed super low humidity conditions, a swamp cooler would be a bad idea.

greenwashing? AC is evil except when used for heating.. ?

possibly lower energy usage and cheaper to install.

IMO no advantages.
But, but all electric everything is the answer to all our problems! It’s OK to use A/C in heat pump mode, just can’t use it to cool anything! Considering the difficulty the West has with clean water, maybe swamp cooling isn’t the best use of it.

Useless when the temps go over 100*, you have to sit right in the breeze to get full effects.

Does anyone know why swamp coolers are being installed in some new construction homes in the SouthWest of the U.S,? I did some google searching on the difference between a swamp cooler and air conditioner, and wasn't able to holistically grasp the benefits of air conditioner over a swamp cooler.

Yes, because they are awesome when implemented correctly.

A swamp cooler is basically a giant evaporator.
A fan in front of wetted media pulls the moist air over it, and in doing so water evaporates cooling the area.
Heres a chart showing the cooling effect based on temp and humidity.

Then you have a two stage evaporative cooler that use the M cycle where the moist air donuts intermingle with the dry air - awesome tech that works very well.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 5.20.00 PM.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Useless when the temps go over 100*, you have to sit right in the breeze to get full effects.

Not really.
You push the air in one side of the house and pull it through and out the other and everything gets cooler along the way.

Never heard of that, unless it's for an off-grid situation.

I've had lots of experience with swamp coolers. They're quite a bit of maintenance, not something you can just use without thinking. The floats often times stop working, they build up with scale and need cleaned, including the spray arms getting plugged up then only 1/2 your pads are wet. Then they rust out in about 5-7 years and need replaced.

They're also not really effective if it's over 100* out or if there's any humidity from a recent storm rolling through. Have to crack every room's window a little bit to let the air flow, otherwise it's pretty ineffective. Or use Up-Dux throughout the house.

In our previous homes where we had it we always had them along with an air conditioner, to use in the cooler months or on nights where it cools down, you can freeze out the house overnight and then flip the A/C on for when the house eventually warms up. But you aren't ever really "comfortable" as the temperature is never steady. It'll be 67 at night in the house and 77 in the afternoon kind of thing.

The only ones worth a darn is a Mastercool or Bonaire Durango. The ones with the straw pads are cheap junk.

I don't see how they could ever be used in new construction.

We're building a large detached garage this summer and I'll eventually put a big swamp cooler on it.

Never heard of that, unless it's for an off-grid situation.

I've had lots of experience with swamp coolers. They're quite a bit of maintenance, not something you can just use without thinking. The floats often times stop working, they build up with scale and need cleaned, including the spray arms getting plugged up then only 1/2 your pads are wet. Then they rust out in about 5-7 years and need replaced.

They're also not really effective if it's over 100* out or if there's any humidity from a recent storm rolling through. Have to crack every room's window a little bit to let the air flow, otherwise it's pretty ineffective. Or use Up-Dux throughout the house.

In our previous homes where we had it we always had them along with an air conditioner, to use in the cooler months or on nights where it cools down, you can freeze out the house overnight and then flip the A/C on for when the house eventually warms up. But you aren't ever really "comfortable" as the temperature is never steady. It'll be 67 at night in the house and 77 in the afternoon kind of thing.

The only ones worth a darn is a Mastercool or Bonaire Durango. The ones with the straw pads are cheap junk.

I don't see how they could ever be used in new construction.

We're building a large detached garage this summer and I'll eventually put a big swamp cooler on it.
Here is one- unless I am mistaken in thinking this is a swamp cooler. But why would they mount a AC on a pitched roof with ample space at ground level.

Back