Four more nukes soon to be under construction in China

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021

1652545614264.png

The construction of Phase II (units 3 and 4) of the Sanmen plant in Zhejiang province and units 3 and 4 of the Haiyang plant in Shandong province was approved by China's State Council on 20 April. Approval was also given for the construction of units 5 and 6 of the Lufeng plant in Guangdong province.

The Sanmen and Haiyang plants are already home to two Westinghouse AP1000 units each, and two CAP1000 units - the Chinese version of the AP1000 - have been approved for Phase II of each plant.

China Nuclear Industry 22 Construction Company (CNI22) has now been contracted to carry out the civil construction of the Sanmen Phase II nuclear island, while China Nuclear Industry 24 Construction Company (CNI24) will conduct the civil construction of the Haiyang Phase II nuclear island. Meanwhile, China Nuclear Industry Fifth Construction Company (CNI5) has been contracted to undertake the nuclear island installation work at all four units.

CNI5, CNI22 and CNI24 are all subsidiaries of China Nuclear Engineering and Construction Corporation, which is itself a division of CNNC.

Note the highlighted area. This was the goal of the IP transfer agreements between China and the Western nuke manufacturers like AECL, Westinghouse, AREVA...etc.

From a slightly earlier article referencing the same sites:

The proposed construction of four CAP1000 reactors (units 1-4) at the new Lufeng site has already been approved by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), but has yet to receive State Council approval. However, the State Council has now approved the construction of units 5 and 6 of the Lufeng plant, which China General Nuclear in a 21 April statement to the Shenzhen Stock Exchange confirmed would be Hualong One reactors.

The Hualong One is based on knowledge from the French reactor program as well as the AP1000 but is considered an "indigenous" design and has been standardized.

That last announcement actually puts the number of active construction approvals across these sites at six.

At least they know nuclear is great and efficient energy.

We should build more here!
The NIMBY people won’t ever allow it, or the energy companies will get it through but it’ll be massively over budget and behind schedule like Vogtle.

On that note, I seriously volunteer part of my backyard for a micro reactor (a SMR wouldn’t really fit). I’d even go hug it and tell it what a good little reactor it is once it’s critical!

The NIMBY people won’t ever allow it, or the energy companies will get it through but it’ll be massively over budget and behind schedule like Vogtle.

On that note, I seriously volunteer part of my backyard for a micro reactor (a SMR wouldn’t really fit). I’d even go hug it and tell it what a good little reactor it is once it’s critical!

It just seems like so much more of a stable, tried, true, proven means of energy production. Okay, so maybe they need to watch for some contaminated water (? I dont exactly know,) last production facility I was at we generated our own power on-site, I can't see it being an issue.

But it seems better than the "ideas" going around now....

Marty McFly: Are you saying this sucker is nuclear?
Emmett Brown: No, no, no, no, no, this sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
Marty McFly: Doc, you don't just walk into a store and-and buy plutonium!
;)

Marty McFly: Are you saying this sucker is nuclear?
Emmett Brown: No, no, no, no, no, this sucker's electrical, but I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
Marty McFly: Doc, you don't just walk into a store and-and buy plutonium!
;)

That's one of the best movies of all time right there.

Needed something with a little more "kick." 🙂

Look at that picture..... does The Fukushima nuclear disaster mean anything?

At least put the **** thing 200ft above water level......

Look at that picture..... does The Fukushima nuclear disaster mean anything?

At least put the **** thing 200ft above water level......
Geography can be fun!

This is where the Sanman plant, pictured, is located:
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 4.52.52 PM.jpg

Zoomed out:
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 4.54.19 PM.jpg

It is quite a ways inland and sheltered.

Fukushima Daiichi, comparatively, as it faces the Pacific:
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 4.55.25 PM.jpg

Geography can be fun!

This is where the Sanman plant, pictured, is located:

Zoomed out:

It is quite a ways inland and sheltered.

Fukushima Daiichi, comparatively, as it faces the Pacific:
I think the area they are in, would likely have a bigger concern on river water during rain / storm season than tsunami. Southern China has massive flood in the rain season, if you care to look on YouTube.

Invest in uranium miners and refiners, UUUU for example. China is building like 125 reactors over the coming decades along with Europe adding more (lol Germany) and uranium supply is not catching up, short squeeze possible.

It's simple, from my perspective anyways, and indeed Overkill and others have long since stated this: North America (and indeed, other continents, nations) needs nuclear-generated power, plain and simple, in order to meaningfully reduce our collective dependencies on carbonaceous fuels. That, and a whole lot better way of responsibly mining the elements necessary for high performance batteries for vehicles.

Yes, and I'm sure they've considered that in the construction plans.

Uhhhh.... That's a spit aka a very small peninsula... That better be one where it's like 30 plus meters down to the normal high water level.

Like PB said freshwater flooding is quite a big deal in that region.

And that image in this thread looks like low elevation and possibly hardly much difference between where the plant would be and where the water line is.

Uhhhh.... That's a spit aka a very small peninsula... That better be one where it's like 30 plus meters down to the normal high water level.

Like PB said freshwater flooding is quite a big deal in that region.

And that image in this thread looks like low elevation and possibly hardly much difference between where the plant would be and where the water line is.
It does looks pretty built up:
Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.07.22 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.14.20 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.15.57 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.16.32 AM.jpg

I'm still for coal !!!! Seems a lot of Europe might be going back to Coal as the resources they're getting from Russia have been cut off. The green energy sure can't keep up with the demand. Back home in Wyoming we have the cleanest coal. No sulfur and an abundance of it too.

Back