First Hualong One connected to the grid

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021

Based on what was discussed in this thread:

Unit 5 of the Fuqing nuclear power plant in China's Fujian province was today connected to the grid for the first time, at 00:41 local time, China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) has announced. The unit - the first of two demonstration Hualong One reactors at the site - had attained a sustained chain reaction for the first time on 21 October.

And more importantly:

Construction of two demonstration Hualong One (HPR1000) units is also under way at China General Nuclear's Fangchenggang plant in the Guangxi Autonomous Region. Those units are expected to start up in 2022. CNNC has also started construction of two Hualong units at the Zhangzhou plant in Fujian province, plus the first of two units at Taipingling in Guangdong.

Two HPR1000 units are under construction at Pakistan's Karachi nuclear power plant. Construction began on Karachi unit 2 in 2015 and unit 3 in 2016; the units are planned to enter commercial operation in 2021 and 2022.

It has started.

The Hualong One borrows heavily from the French EPR. China partnered with Westinghouse and Areva on both the AP1000 and EPR which are light water designs of US and French origin respectively and had them built domestically. They also, in the early 2000's partnered with AECL and have two CANDU 6's at Qinshan and are now looking to build CANDU's abroad. They also have started their own heavy water PWR that I expect they will transition to like they've done here with the HPR1000. The assumed expertise through these partnerships allowed them to greatly expedite the development of "domestic" designs and with that now sorted deployment has begun as well as the pursuit of builds abroad.

The European Nuclear Safety Commission recently approved the Hualong One and the expectation is that it will get built in the UK at Bradwell, while Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C are EPR's.

When somebody “borrows” my stuff … and they (keep) benefit from it - another word comes to mind …
… and that country is widely known for it … 🐀

When somebody “borrows” my stuff … and they (keep) benefit from it - another word comes to mind …
… and that country is widely known for it … 🐀

Yes indeed, I've touched on that in previous threads. These partnerships are very much one-way streets. Advantage taken of an industry that was floundering due to red tape and regulation in their home markets to cannibalize their IP for the purposes of domestic use, which is exactly what's happened here.

This isn't new in the nuclear industry. India's HWR program is a blatant ripoff of the CANDU. We partnered with them (Canada) and built a couple units there, they cut us out and just started making their own and have been doing it for decades.

Back