Reliability of your home "wired" wifi service.

Are you restricted in terms of how many GBs of data you can transfer per month?

With respect to my wired internet, in 10+ years, I only recall it going down once, and that was not a fault of the ISP - landscaping company cut some wires outside the house.
My broadband internet is unlimited.

I just wanted to ask everyone how reliable is their home wifi "wired" internet connection to their home.

I'm currently using a mobile broadband 5G router as my main internet service at home (which is rock solid reliable) - It only had 1 bad day in the last 2 years.

I've heard stories from people at work that their wired home internet goes down about one or twice a month.

But wanted to ask how reliable wired home internet is in general for most people.
How many times does it go down per month or per year? Thanks.
AT&T Fiber to my home for the past 16 years. I think I've had 3 outages, one caused by the field techs working on the neighbor's service and knocking out mine. I caught them before they left and they fixed what they broke, LOL.

I had a residential gateway fail and they had to send me a replacement.

I think one other, and that was because they were making some changes and I had to reboot my gateway.

That's it since Feb 2008.

AT&T Fiber to my home for the past 16 years. I think I've had 3 outages, one caused by the field techs working on the neighbor's service and knocking out mine. I caught them before they left and they fixed what they broke, LOL.

I had a residential gateway fail and they had to send me a replacement.

I think one other, and that was because they were making some changes and I had to reboot my gateway.

That's it since Feb 2008.
AT&T's reliability is impressive: 3 outages in 16 years (none of them AT&T's fault).

In South Carolina we have a company called Comporium. Seems pretty reliable. Have had a few outages, but nothing major. I have their 600MB fiber service. Didn't go with a 1GB or 2GB fiber line. We mostly use wi-fi anyway, and my mesh system can only do up to 500Mb, and that's right next to a pod. Typically I get 225-250MB throughput. Which is fine for gaming, streaming, etc.
We ONLY have Comporium unless you go with a dish style internet. I'm not sure how they get away with being a monopoly, I hate them.

That being said, they are pretty reliable.

Carolina Connect, fiber optic, 350 mb/s. We've had that service since the FOC was rolled out this way in August of last year. Aside from going down a few times in that first month, as they were still adding more cable around the area, we haven't had any issues.

You have a great price that cant be had here on the East Coast... or anywhere else that I know of. I see even in your state some prices from some companies are at $95 for 1g service and 300mbps is $65 from Wyyerd fiber in WY. So enjoy it, hopefully it stays that was for you. Though where we are might be considered rural along the coast here, have no idea.

We have a good price within a few states of us ( I think) for the 300/300 Mbps @ $57.95 actual payment. Our last home in South Carolina was up to around $80 for 200/12 Mbps service.

I dont consider it slow at all, it's not possible for us to use that speed at the current time, maybe when 8K TV comes out?
Our company does offer offer 500/500 and 1G service at 67.95 and 77.95 respectfully but I have no use for it. Kind of like putting premium gas in a car made for regular gas in our household we wouldnt be able to use all that bandwidth at one time.
We now use BluPeak. We had spectrum before. The introductory price was $50 a month but for an extra 5 bucks they guaranteed the price for a couple years. The 1 gig is great. Never a second of buffering. I know some on here have much faster service.

Xfinity $30/month 50mbps one. Went down once or twice early on because of cable installation issue. That was fixed eventually when it completely went off and I ordered their modem to prove that it was their problem completely end to end. They replaced a few connector and got it reliable afterward. 3 years so far so good.

wanted to ask how reliable wired home internet is in general for most people.
Zero outages since last August when we bought this house.

The only slowdowns now are due to the servers at the other end, such as the Superbowl.
How are you substantiating that?

300GIG is astounding
There is no 300Gb/s residential service. I have seen a customer with several 800Gb/s connection though.

Very rarely and usually only for an hour or 2 max, though it usually occurs the same time as a power outage.

For $110 through comcast, 400mbps down 10 up, it better be reliable. Gotta pay the extra $30/month for unlimited data because we consistently blow through their arbitrary and frankly ridiculous data cap.
IMG_9670.jpeg

AT&T's reliability is impressive: 3 outages in 16 years (none of them AT&T's fault).
Oh, they were all on AT&T. The AT&T crew working in the back yard. The AT&T outage for the network changes and the residential gateway provided by AT&T.

But yes, still impressive.

Very rarely and usually only for an hour or 2 max, though it usually occurs the same time as a power outage.

For $110 through comcast, 400mbps down 10 up, it better be reliable. Gotta pay the extra $30/month for unlimited data because we consistently blow through their arbitrary and frankly ridiculous data cap. View attachment 207922
Wow, that is expensive and didnt know there are still data caps from some companies. I assume you maybe in a really rural area?

I have Xfinity, maybe once or twice in the 10 years I've been there.

Wow, that is expensive and didnt know there are still data caps from some companies. I assume you maybe in a really rural area?

Yea Xfinity is an a-hole like that. It used to be unlimited if you used their modem/router but now it's based off location or you can pay extra for unlimited. 1.2TB limit, $10 extra for every 50GB over.

Check Address
Choose Services
Customize Options
Set Up Account
Schedule Installation
Get a $50 Visa Prepaid Rewards Card. Online Only!
Choose your package

Internet

TV

Bluepeak 1 Gig
$55.00 /mo
*Reflects $10 Autopay discount
1 Gig Internet

Symmetrical Speed

Eero Whole-Home WiFi with speeds up to 1.2 Gig

Eero Secure included

Select

Bluepeak 2 Gig
$75.00 /mo
2 Gig Internet

Symmetrical Speed

Eero Secure included

2/2 Gig speeds with wired connection to the Bluepeak fiber network

Select

Bluepeak 5 Gig
$100.00 /mo
5 Gig Internet

Symmetrical Speed

Eero Secure included

Additional home Wifi speed & dead spot check

Tech Hub VIP Events & Concierge Service

3-Year Price Lock

5/5 Gig speeds with wired connection to the Bluepeak fiber network

Select
Back

(833) 948-4833PrivacyTerms & ConditionsRefund PolicyFCC Public Files

©2024 — Bluepeak. All rights reserved.

Still $55 a month for a gig up and down.

How are you substantiating that?
Pretty simple. The TV picture started getting pixelated and finally stopped displaying correctly. Went to a second channel offering through a different wiFi connection, and it was better, but still not correct. Finally went to an OTA antenna (digital) and the picture was fine.
I've also seen it happen on other very popular offerings from time to time. Mostly the interruptions are momentary in those cases.
The Superbowl never did straighten out through Paramount+. (IIRC)

I've only been with Bell for a few months now and it has been very reliable so far. Previous cable was very reliable, but I was paying $115/month for 350/30 while I'm now getting 1.5Gbit/1Gbit for $62 taxes in.

I can easily peg the NIC on my old MAC Pro, lol

Back