Relevance of changing the oil filter every OCI

My daughter's new Mazda also has a 'dinner table' (LOL at that) but Mazda was kind enough to make a small removable (2 Phillip head screws) access panel which gives access to both the drain plug and filter...making oil changes a breeze. Apparently, Ford wants you to take it to the dealer for OC's...which I won't do...
Hopefully the dealerships have “trained” the factory now - my GM is right behind the pan - easy!

I've run multi-mile filters on both my wife's car, and my car. After a few years of doing this, I've seen no signs of damage or had any operational problems. As far as "Cheap Insurance" goes, the filters I use cost almost $20 a piece. 1 is a cartridge type and the other is a regular screw on filter. Since I've been on this site, I've seen 2 types of people. The type that have actually done what is being discussed, and the ones that only parrot what either the manual suggests, or what other people "Think" will happen if you don't follow the crowd. I want to see for my self what happens, good or bad. And I do. It's funny to think some people will only use XXX brand oil in their vehicle, and if for some reason that oil wasn't available for their 5k oil change, they wouldn't drive their vehicle. Just like if their favorite brand of gas wasn't available for some reason. They would never dream of using another brand. If you think that's not happening, read what people post on here.,,,

I guess this is a side thought but humour me ...I change CVT fluid every 10-20k and the filters at 75k. Now I know this is a tranny and not motor...but aren't they both doing essentially a similar task? Is that a waste? Most people will change both but I'm guilty of being 60 percent of the way through a oci and just rotated the tires and replaced the oil only because of the mess, my discs in my back and usually only do this when it's cold out but we get a day where it's decent out to do it. Far too often I see more people not prefilling oil filters before installing. That in my opinion is far more damaging than using an oil filter for an interval longer than some would do. A quality oil filter will last a long time if the driving pattern is suitable, the air filter is good and properly sealed and good oil/fuel being used. Let's say half a quart doesn't get drained because we keep the filter on for a bit longer..no worries about dry start. In my heart of hearts I believe filters struggle more with sludgy internals or filtration and leaks that allow dirt and moisture.

(y)

It’s cheap insurance imo new oil new filter
I use O'Reilly brand oil filters. I get the ones that are Made In USA instead of the CCP. I change the filter and oil together annually. Maintenance Minder was at 30% because my short commute is mostly highway. Honda CR-V has 169,173 miles now.

It’s cheap insurance imo new oil new filter
Why? A filter rated for 10ks would arguably perform better with fresh oil at the 5k mark, versus old oil the entire 10k miles. So say this makes no sense, it's just wasteful.

Cheap is relative. An average $10 filter needlessly purchased and installed is not "insurance" in any sense other than if you mean a waste of money. A $10 lottery ticket, or 2010 bitcoin investment, could be far better investments. You can play the "don't be cheap" in every aspect of consumerism and easily waste thousand of dollars annually.

How would you feel about keeping the same filter for 2 OCIs for around 20,000 to 25,000 km? I know it's like putting your dirty socks back on after taking a shower, not that a filter costs much but it looks like it doesn't accomplish anything at all. I'm interested about your opinion.
I can give you several reasons. But, will only give a couple, or more.
1) IMO, cheap insurance.
2) Because I can.
3) I have to live up to my signature ("One Filter, One OCI!").

I looked through my GLC filter at 5k OCI and it was still in excellent shape and could not find anything in the media. I am thinking of doing one filter with two drain/fills every 10k.

This guy definitely has a point against changing the oil filter if it's not needed.

I remember about 15 years ago my buddy that had his Oldsmobile 2003 do not know the model, needed and oil change, it had a cartridge oil filter, his old oil filter was on there for 20,000 miles, it looked fine when it was taken off. You know what did his car in?

Not the oil he used
Not the oil filter he used
Not his OCI's

He got hit by a bus in Baltimore, everyone reading this post go watch the movie called Diner!

They've done it for decades and Honda engines are known to be very long lasting.

Honda oil filters are mid level at best, with comparatively awful micron ratings - kind of like toyota filters.
oem Honda filters are made by Fram. They are not ultras.

oem Honda filters are made by Fram. They are not ultras.

SOME Honda OEM filters are made by Fram.

Among those that are - I never claimed they were ultras,

I claimed they were constructed between a tough guard and an extra guard with worse filtration than both.

I remember about 15 years ago my buddy that had his Oldsmobile 2003 do not know the model, needed and oil change, it had a cartridge oil filter, his old oil filter was on there for 20,000 miles, it looked fine when it was taken off. You know what did his car in?

Not the oil he used
Not the oil filter he used
Not his OCI's

He got hit by a bus in Baltimore, everyone reading this post go watch the movie called Diner!
I just decided I'm never going to do any more maintenance on my vehicles, and just wait until they get totalled. It will sure save a lot of time and money. :LOL:

I just decided I'm never going to do any more maintenance on my vehicles, and just wait until they get totalled. It will sure save a lot of time and money. :LOL:
You started it, I will finish it, LOL!

Here in Maryland, at least where I live, there are so many deer that it is not funny. There is no need for a fast car around here. There is an old thread where someone, will not name the name, did a UOA of OCI;s with an oil filter and without an oil filter. They both looked about identical, so maybe the air filter is more important than the oil filter.

You started it, I will finish it, LOL!

Here in Maryland, at least where I live, there are so many deer that it is not funny. There is no need for a fast car around here. There is an old thread where someone, will not name the name, did a UOA of OCI;s with an oil filter and without an oil filter. They both looked about identical, so maybe the air filter is more important than the oil filter.
Maybe you could trade in your vehicles for some horses, lol. Got a link to this UOA you speak of? I've been here over 11 years and have never seen anyone mention it before. And besides, a UOA can be deceiving and is not a sure "tell all" of engine wear until there is a major disaster going on inside the engine.

Back