Relevance of changing the oil filter every OCI

I usually change the oil filter every oil change but have done 2 OCI'S of 5k each on a Fram Ultra because Ford makes it a PITA to remove the belly shield on my cars. I used a Mityvac. I wouldn't do 2 OCI'S on an oil filter on a dirty (neglected) engine but otherwise I think it's fine using a high quality filter.
Good points here - the Fram Ultra should be able to handle two 5K mile OCI's .

Do filters on most passenger cars really hold that much oil? I would think maybe 1/2 quart at most.

On the Honda Odysseys, it's .3qts:

Capacity:With FLT, With filter 5.7 quarts. After refill check oil level.
Capacity:With O FLT, Without filter 5.4 quarts. After refill check oil level.

UncleDave

$50 Site Donor 2023
Good points here - the Fram Ultra should be able to handle two 5K mile OCI's .

Why shouldn't it be good for the 20K they claim it is whether thats 1, 2, or 4 OCI's?

Honda is willing to gamble their mid grade (at best) filter is good for 20K or more.

As I always answer in threads on this topic, I just don’t understand going to all the effort of an oil change - gathering supplies, putting the vehicle up, crawling under, wrenching the plug off….and NOT doing the oil filter while you are there. I just don’t get it.
Yes, we know what an oil change entails. You needn't waste your money on a Fram Ultra then.

Why shouldn't it be good for the 20K they claim it is whether thats 1, 2, or 4 OCI's?
That’s my train of thought too. They say “up to 20K or one year”. I had a fram ultra on my 17 accord that had 17,159 miles on it (Castrol Edge EP and two runs of Chevron supreme) uoa came back fine insolubles.

I have no doubt, if it’s a quality oil filter, that it’s fine. But, just can’t do it. I pay about $5 a filter, so makes sense to just change it every OCI for me. YMMV.