Relevance of changing the oil filter every OCI

If you are going to change your oil....Dont be half A$$...Do it right...oil and filter change...

That's the way I look at it. We're talking about a $5 item. And as was mentioned, why leave a half quart of dirty oil in the engine? Makes no sense.

Yeah, you can never get it all out. But by not changing the filter, you're just leaving that much more in.

Really.... My 20201 Honda HRV Sport says Oil and Filter.... Thats in the owners book also...

Look at A and B

This is whats on the website, and for every other honda Ive seen

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.34.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 5.34.24 AM.png

Last edited:
That's the way I look at it. We're talking about a $5 item. And as was mentioned, why leave a half quart of dirty oil in the engine? Makes no sense.

Yeah, you can never get it all out. But by not changing the filter, you're just leaving that much more in.
+1. I look at it this way, if there's a half quart of oil trapped in the engine, and another half quart in the filter, now you're leaving a quart of dirty oil behind, or more. For those who like to run oil 10K miles or more that oil can be pretty dirty, spent oil, no thanks. I better hide...........
27.gif

All preference really. I do change oil without the filter, but never let the filter go past a year.

I guess the correct answer would be do a long drain oil with some analysis and change the filter after that.

Maybe a good reason to use a smaller oil filter then. Less oil trapped in the filter. :)

I’m tempted to break habit and start doing this. Filter used for two OCI’s. But changing the oil every 5k means the oil is hardly used up. Thus whatever oil is in the filter is… hardly used up, and quickly diluted.

I lop open my filters these days. Plan is, when I see a change, I’ll alter course.

Is it half a quart? You sure about that? On what sump size?

On my titan the filter (xg7317) holds .2L on a 6.2L sump.

sometimes i change JUST the filter + NOT the oil on lo mile vehicles + bikes, + also use better more lasting REAL synthetic oils i them. my modified 2001 TT225Q is a summer car mostly + due to only 4.25 qts in the engine it gets Redlines above average REAL synthetic oil + i use Redlines REAL synthetics is ALL drivetrains as they are rarely changed unlike engine oils!!

Is it half a quart? You sure about that? On what sump size?
Not sure about the sump size. If you mean capacity, it holds 7 quarts. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, after I remove the oil filter, oil continues to drain out of the threaded nipple for over a minute. That would all remain in the engine if I didn't change the filter. Which by the way is a full size filter.

ATex7239 said above, "... I’d rather use a mediocre filter ...". BLASPHOMY Check that man's papers!

Personal note: My '76 Ford 300cid 6 must have held over a quart of oil in its upper gallery. If the oil was not fully hot that oil would "break free" 5 or more seconds after I removed the filter. Of course engine designs have evolved a tad since the Bicentennial.

• Haha
Reactions: FZ1
Not sure about the sump size. If you mean capacity, it holds 7 quarts. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, after I remove the oil filter, oil continues to drain out of the threaded nipple for over a minute. That would all remain in the engine if I didn't change the filter. Which by the way is a full size filter.

Lets say it all adds up to half a quart - if thats what it is 7% of a 7 quart sump.
There probably closer to a full quart left inside.

If it makes you feel better by all means do it.
Some guys throw away tires with 20% tread left, or change wipers out before they streak and toss batteries on a schedule vs when they go bad - nothing wrong at all with that.

Is there a measurable reason to toss the Oil filter that you can see on a UOA? - nope not that Ive seen or that anyone can show me in thousands of analysis. I'm totally open to data on this, but there is a reason honda has done it since the beginning of time.

Ive never found any notable material inside any auto or truck filter in the last 25 years that was maintained from the start and was mechanically sound. A cleanup job- sure every time, a car I dont know the history of - sure. My own stuff Ive had since new - Ill run 10-20K filters for multiple OCI's

Modern autos just dont put out much if any crud into the oil.

I cut every filter on every item every time and have since grandpas day.

High load deals like boats motorhomes, construction equipment - Ill change out every time

Last edited:
sometimes i change JUST the filter + NOT the oil on lo mile vehicles + bikes, + also use better more lasting REAL synthetic oils i them. my modified 2001 TT225Q is a summer car mostly + due to only 4.25 qts in the engine it gets Redlines above average REAL synthetic oil + i use Redlines REAL synthetics is ALL drivetrains as they are rarely changed unlike engine oils!!

What is the thought process behind this?

I stand corrected... I looked at it again and you are right....I was a little surprised that they would do that... I guess that Honda installes very good oil filters. Me I will do both at each oil change...

They've done it for decades and Honda engines are known to be very long lasting.

Honda oil filters are mid level at best, with comparatively awful micron ratings - kind of like toyota filters.

They've done it for decades and Honda engines are known to be very long lasting.

Honda oil filters are mid level at best, with comparatively awful micron ratings - kind of like toyota filters.
You got that right the 07 accord I traded in had 386000 on it and ran great...it was a 2.4 engine.... I wish the HRV had that one....The 1.8 does not have much power...

OP, using a quality filter for two intervals shouldn’t be a problem at all, especially given the car’s history. But what would make this an even easier decision is using an oil extractor to remove the sump oil through the dipstick tube. My understanding is this is MB’s current service procedure, but not sure it applies to your example.

I follow this routine with my Hondas. No crawling on the ground or oil splashing about. Heck, don’t even need to don your oil-changing clothes.

When i got my car with 100k km, the inside of the engine was already clean like new thanks to being serviced at the dealer every 10,000 to 15,000 km with 5W40. In my 100k km of ownership i changed to oil approximately every 6,000 km with whatever was on sale, mainly synthetic or semi synthetic euro xW40.

I think it cleaned it even further since the filters now come out looking like new and they used to catch fine chunks of carbon. I felt it was stupid to change filters that didn't have anything in them and left them in the engine for 2 OCIs (roughly 12,000 km).

Now, even with a longer OCI of 10,000 to 13,000 km the filter is clean, not even brittle or anything and the oil still has a nice color. Maybe this has to do with my driving which is 60% highway, 40% country roads and no city driving at all, all on E85.

How would you feel about keeping the same filter for 2 OCIs for around 20,000 to 25,000 km? I know it's like putting your dirty socks back on after taking a shower, not that a filter costs much but it looks like it doesn't accomplish anything at all. I'm interested about your opinion.
Do what you feel is best. I feel a new filter at every change is cheap insurance.

I guess if I was so concerned with the cost of a $5 - $10 filter, I'd also use that marginal oil they sell at Dollar Tree. There's no argument that it reduces waste, but if it's the money you're trying to save, give up one luxury item (Starbucks, cigarettes, beer, etc.) per oci and change that nasty filter.

Do what you feel is best. I feel a new filter at every change is cheap insurance.

Agree on doing what you feel is best, everyman gets to maintain his house car yard and all things his way.
Its one of the few freedoms we have left.

Im a data driven vs feeling guy a majority of the time.

To quote a very smart mod here - (I wish Id have quoted it but i did not)

"never confuse cheap insurance with assured waste"

Back