reducing mag capacity on Glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to carry my glock 17 as a secondary weapon for firearm deer season. Here in MI we can open carry while hunting but pistols must be no more than 9 round capacity in barrel and magazine.
I have a 10 round mag and believe there is a way to put in a screw or something to reduce it to a legal 8 round capacity? Anybody have advice?

I wouldnt do it. I think you are just asking for trouble.

There is no factory solution, you are essentially making a "plug".

If you have your CC permit, can you conceal and carry in over 9 round capacity?

Or just take a revolver.

No carry permit and no other handgun.
Actually you are required to plug your shotgun for waterfowl here to keep within a certain capacity and most guys just cut a dowel the proper lenght and insert it in there magazine, I was thinking along those same lines but most likely I will just go without the handgun unless I get a definitive answer.

I asked on our MI hunting forum and yes you can put a block in the mag. I will call our enforcement division to verify though.

Since it's for secondary 'just in case' purposes, would it be legal to just use a spent shell casing in there? Or does it need to be a permanent modification to the mag?

High capacity magazines are legal in Michigan. What makes hunting different? Is there a website you can link where I can read up on this?

Open carry is also legal in Michigan.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question.

EDIT:
I looked it up myself HERE

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Shotgun Zone In the shotgun zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm restrictions or use a crossbow or bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:

A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.

ALSO:

Archery Deer Seasons During the archery deer seasons, it is illegal to carry afield a pistol, revolver or other firearm while bow hunting for deer.

Exceptions: This prohibition does not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. However, a concealed pistol license does not authorize the individual to use the pistol to take game except as provided by law.

You will want to do your homework, but the way I see it is:

1. If you have a CPL AND you are not using the weapon to hunt, you should be good to go.

2. Nowhere did it say the MAGAZINE had to be of low(er) capacity only that you could not have more than nine rounds total.

What is your purpose for bringing the Glock?

Last edited:
Ok I called our DNR law enforcement division and they said I could absolutely block the mag somehow and I would be good to go. It cant be capable of holding more than 8.I am going to see about using a screw inserted into one of the holes in the back of the mag, or I might just forget the whole idea.

I do not have a ccw and to carry the gun while hunting it has to be in a holster in plain sight and unloaded while not afield.
If you have a ccw you can carry concealed but if you want to use it to hunt you must meet the above requirements.
The 9 round total only applies in the shotgun zone.

The purpose for bringing it is to kill a deer with it and yes I am well aware of the extreme limitations. A handgun is the only way I have not taken a deer including longbows and wooden arrows. I often take deer at 20 or 30 feet.

Did some more research and it looks like all I have to do is remove the floorplate on the mag and put something in there to prevent more than 8 rounds to load, like a wood dowel or something,It would have to fit just right, not sure if I will have time to mess with it.

Seems like the best solution is to get that CCW license. Or leave it home. Because as I read from the listed text, you can't carry said pistol unless if you are using it during firearm season--it's verboten for non-CCW persons during archery season.

Also--and this may be reading between the lines too much--I suspect using a pistol to finish off a deer during archery season may violate the letter of the law. Or is otherwise left ambivalent (you decide if you wanna find out what the warden thinks).

I am aware you cant have it for archery without ccw, I am going to use it during firearm season. Lots of guys carry sidearms during firearm, my only problem was with the limit on mag capacity.
I just took the mag apart and it will be easy to put a piece or two of wooden dowel under the floor plate like I was instructed by law enforcement.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I am aware you cant have it for archery without ccw, I am going to use it during firearm season. Lots of guys carry sidearms during firearm, my only problem was with the limit on mag capacity.
I just took the mag apart and it will be easy to put a piece or two of wooden dowel under the floor plate like I was instructed by law enforcement.

Modifying the magazine to comply with the law will be fine for hunting or a finishing shot. I would worry about weapon reliability if the weapon was needed for protection.

Next year you may want to think about a .357 or .44 revolver and getting your CPL. No more problems.

Did some more research and it looks like all I have to do is remove the floorplate on the mag and put something in there to prevent more than 8 rounds to load, like a wood dowel or something,It would have to fit just right, not sure if I will have time to mess with it.

Sir, be very careful about plugging your mag with some kind
of make-shift device. If this is not done properly it could
have a negetive effect on feeding properly. The last thing
you want is for your mag to not feed properly.

I want to carry my glock 17 as a secondary weapon for firearm deer season. Here in MI we can open carry while hunting but pistols must be no more than 9 round capacity in barrel and magazine.
I have a 10 round mag and believe there is a way to put in a screw or something to reduce it to a legal 8 round capacity? Anybody have advice?

bradepb,

If it's the law why don't you carry a good revolver instead of a Glock 9mm????

Durango

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Modifying the magazine to comply with the law will be fine for hunting or a finishing shot. I would worry about weapon reliability if the weapon was needed for protection.

Next year you may want to think about a .357 or .44 revolver and getting your CPL. No more problems.

It's a GLOCK no worries about reliability !!

As far as "sliding" somthing under the floor plate , that is probably not the best idea.
Your floor plate has a round tab on it that sits in a hole on the bottom mag cover that is designed to keep the mag cover on the mag.

well I ended up putting a wood block under the spring and it works fine, I cut off a peice of wood dowel and shaped it to fit the contour of the mag perfectly.After talking to a few people it sounds like this is more common than I thought
I wont be gun hunting though as i am out of tags so I guess it was all for naught after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back