recommended oil for new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would say hello and thank everyone for a wonderfully informative forum. I would like the opinion of you fine folks though.

I have an 04 Subaru Impreza with a 2.0 liter 4 cyl turbocharged engine. I currently have 1050 miles on the odometer. Yesterday was my first oil change. I used Pennzoil dino 10w30. Subaru recommends 5w30, but the 10w was on sale so the sale overrides the recommendation.
wink.gif
My next oil change will be at 3000 and I will to go to synthetic. I will follow the recommended 7500 mile changes thereafter. My big question is which synthetic oil?

I have read conflicting reports with just about every synthetic oil and I have come to the generic conclusion after burning out this site's search feature that as long as it's synthetic, so much the better. Mobile 1 is winning in my mind so far because of it availablility ease. Royal Purple and Amsoil are locally available and I'm sure I could find Red Line here as well, but I haven't seen it specifically.

I plan on keeping this car for 500 years and I would say that I drive less than the average yearly mileage, and it is mostly short distances to and from work.

[ June 07, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

While I am not a fan of synthetics in warmer climates, the turbo would make me consider it.
5W-40 Delvac 1 would be my first choice, unless the owners manual prohibits it during the warranty. If so, M1 10W-30.

Thank you for your opinion! I did some Delvac 1 searches and came up with nothing but positive results from those that use/used it. I will have to check local availablility (Walmart has it I read) and see about the price. Any other opinions? I am very open minded on this subject.

I would stick with the manufacturers recommendation of 5-30 oil! I would go with your original thought of M1 5-30 at the next 3000 mile change. I would opt for 6000 mile intervals on the synthetics since you are using it in a turbo. You could exceed 6000 more than likely but you would need a uoa or you could just opt to be safe and change oil at 6000. The turbo will benefit from using the 5-30 weight and thats why the manufacture recommends it.
burnout.gif

Hi,

I have new Nissan 200sx 2.0 L turbo (3k on clock now) and my son a 180sx 2.0L turbo.

I would definately use a full synthetic as the real killer in a turbo car is burning (coking) of the oil in the turbo and supply lines. It gets very hot in there!.

Whilst you should follow the manufacturers recommendations, if you drive the car hard change the oil as per "severe sevice" It might cost you more but your car will last longer.

Nissan recommend 10k kilometer changes (6k miles) for the oil on mine as it has an water cooled turbo. Up to this model the recommended (and you don't dare go past) change was 5k (3k miles).

On my car Nissan do not change the oil till 10k. I changed my oil at 2k (1200 mi) to a full synthetic, Motul 300v 10w-40, ester based oil, similar to Redline, but cheaper. I intend to change again at 5k, and then every 5k.

On my son's car, which is higher modified, running 1.2bar boost, 150+kw at RW's, we change the oil at most at 5k (3k miles). He is running the same oil as me, but has an oil cooler/ remote filter. He drives the car very hard. His turbo is also water cooled which is not the usual for this car.

May try the Redline at some stage but it is $110au
per gallon as compared to Motul at $75au.

[ June 07, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Im thinking of trying Motul 300V (pure ester) in my SR20DET also. Anyone heard of it? I know alot of people swear by it but there is no UOAs on it =(

Look at my post above. Same motor in mine and my sons cars.

It comes in 2L tins over here for $40. You will need 2 as I think the oil capacity will be abt 3.5lts inc filter. Autobarn carry it, but not all stores. Some have never heard of it. The local store carries it because the owners use in ther cars, including a race car).

[ June 08, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Una

Beat that whole Federal wrap huh?

Just joking.

While everyone is pushing you at $25.00/ gallon oil. Don't forget to review the used oil analysis. You may even find a $12.00/gallon synthetic blend that whips the synthetics.

Hint: Its called Schaeffer's series 7000 Supreme.

Given that it's a turbo, I'd use a real synthetic.

I use Redline 10W30 in my TT Supra and it does a good job. (Ester base with gobs of Moly!!)

If you have too much difficulty finding Redline, than I'd choose Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Unabomber:
Just thought I would say hello and thank everyone for a wonderfully informative forum. I would like the opinion of you fine folks though.

I have an 04 Subaru Impreza with a 2.0 liter 4 cyl turbocharged engine. I currently have 1050 miles on the odometer. Yesterday was my first oil change. I used Pennzoil dino 10w30. Subaru recommends 5w30, but the 10w was on sale so the sale overrides the recommendation.
wink.gif
My next oil change will be at 3000 and I will to go to synthetic. I will follow the recommended 7500 mile changes thereafter. My big question is which synthetic oil?

I have read conflicting reports with just about every synthetic oil and I have come to the generic conclusion after burning out this site's search feature that as long as it's synthetic, so much the better. Mobile 1 is winning in my mind so far because of it availablility ease. Royal Purple and Amsoil are locally available and I'm sure I could find Red Line here as well, but I haven't seen it specifically.

I plan on keeping this car for 500 years and I would say that I drive less than the average yearly mileage, and it is mostly short distances to and from work.

Redline!Redline!Redline! It is the only oil that I would ever count on not cokeing the turbo system. I have to add that no one has been able to get Redline to shear out of grade. I especialy like Redline is you decide to run 5W30 for 7500 miles. Will you ever be able to tell the difference between 5W40 Delvac or 5W30 Redline probably not. I would not even consider 5W30 M1 as it would shear down and burn off alot. You would probably go through 2-3 quarts of M1 5W30 in 7500 miles.

I believe your choice of Pennsy 10W-30 dinosaur juice was excellent - and not just because of the sales pricing. With that turbocharger, there will be extra heat loading on the oil which will shear it down. The 10W-30 goo stuff will tolerate that better than 5W-30 since it starts with a higher viscosity base oil. With the warmer weather now, the cold start circulation characteristics between 5W-30 and 10W-30 are negligible.

[ June 08, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back