R22 systems? Keep them running or what?

Condensor fan motor went out at the rent house. They wanted $11k to put a new 3.5 ton goodman unit in. $1300 to install a new fan motor that probably cost $100 so I went the cheap route. These newer r410a units seem to be pooched after about 10 years and I've heard the r22 units lasting 20 years easy. Do you think I made the right call? If it goes another year I'll be happy. Current system is 17 years old. I have a new system in my house and they had to come back out like 4 times for various little issues that imo were poor installation issues. I also hate to put a brand new system in that the tenant probably won't bother changing the filter on. Etc
Opinions?
Look for a hvac supply place that is open to the public. My dad and I found that you have to buy in the opposite season as they mark up prices significantly for items in season (go figure).

At the time I didnt really think about it, but I got stiffed good on that fan motor replacement. $1300? 😒 So these companies can just charge whatever? Wonder if I can call tdlr it's not $400 it's like $75 for one of those little motors.
I have seen similar things happen. Same "motor" would be real cheap but once adding "something" to it now becomes a custom part that cost 10x. The justification is now they have to keep the inventory for longer and they have to make it back up, and people who just search by part number will not realize they can take off a key to replace a fan, or just screw a motor into a housing, etc.

Also when you are caught in a hurry and need parts now, they will cost more. Often times if you can wait you will get a good deal even on the same part.

At work we have 2 way to order a part: the rapid prototype way cost $7500, the mass produce way cost $400. We were told to order ahead of time even if you have to order 10, and we should start ordering when we only have 3 left.

How much do you guys think I should have paid for this fan motor replacement? I'm calling them uontomorrow to complain. $700-$800, but $1355? Grant it this was a weekend call, but still. I'm still waiting g for a receipt so I can see the price breakdown.

Back