Home A/C repair or replacement, I'm I getting ripped off?

This is a house in Florida that I have rented out Jan, Feb and Mar to the same people the last 10 years. Had the whole a/c system replaced in 2015 by a large local a/c contractor. One year ago when the a/c quit, they installed sealer and recharged so it was good while the tenant was there. This year the tenant said the a/c is warm so I sent the same people out to check it out. They say the evaporator in the air handler in the attic is leaking due to rust. $3000 to replace it but over a month to get the part. Of course, they offered to replace the entire system for $9000. This is a 3.5 ton unit and in 2015 I paid like $4700. Are they ripping me off?

I see this ad on Craigslist that has that size for $4,500 from a small company. https://sarasota.craigslist.org/sks/d/sarasota-ac-service-repairs-new/7593875545.html Is that a red flag?

• Wow
Reactions: JC1
I can't comment on the full system cost, but I have a 3.5 ton (I think) and had the evaporator coil replaced 4 years ago and it would have been $1500 as I recall. Was still under parts warranty so I only had to pay for the labor, so it was like half that to me. However I know since then refrigerant cost has gone way up, and I presume labor in Florida is crazy price as well.

Definitely get a second opinion. If its one of the big brands - carrier, Lennox, Trane - get one of their authorized dealers - they might have a part on hand or faster access at least.

BTW - was the $9K for the AC, or AC and furnace entirely?

Reactions: JC1
Not sure if the $4500 price in the CL ad is out the door or not. Also, there is a HUGE variance in the cost of HVAC equipment based upon the specific brand (e.g., Trane/Carrier/Lennox vs. Goodman); however, the quality of the installation outweighs the brand. Googling the phone number comes up with this website:

Carribean Cool A/C

Have them send you a photo of the evaporator. Then get a second opinion.
evaporator.jpg

estimate.jpg

The sticker in there looks older than 2015 to me. Have you been down to this unit and confirmed all new stuff since 2015?

Just checked their Yelp reviews. Should never have called them in the first place.

They are massively (trying to) rip you off. An entire evap coil in chassis can be had for $600 delivered, call it $700 with some metal/work, and it doesn't take half a day to install it, so they want $2300 in labor for a few hours work.

They are massively (trying to) rip you off. An entire evap coil in chassis can be had for $600 delivered, call it $700 with some metal/work, and it doesn't take half a day to install it, so they want $2300 in labor for a few hours work.

He had it installed in 2015, the part should be under warranty...so this estimate should just be labor and refrigerant. I think a 10 year warranty on parts is pretty much industry standard.

Labor and refrigerant... that's even worse. The thing is, if under warranty but can't get the warranty fulfilled for months, might make sense to just buy another rather than have the premises *uninhabitable*. It might be fine now but I bet it needs to have A/C by summer.

That's just for a compressor. Nobody gives a 10 year warranty on anything else.

I had this cheap system installed in 2015 and it came with a 10 year parts warranty.

Protect your home comfort investment with exceptional warranties that give you additional comfort. Day & Night® premium products include our No Hassle Replacement™ limited warranty, and all of our products are covered with a 10-year parts limited warranty upon registration. So leave your worries out in the cold and find your home comfort solution that's backed by protection to ensure years of reliable performance.

Depends. Many companies give 10 yr on their top tier, some 20 years to lifetime on certain parts, or lesser tiers have lesser warranty periods, and it may depend on timely registration of installation by the installer or owner. If you haven't yet, I'd dig out your paperwork for it.

I'd be taking measurements of the unit to see what's compatible. I mean by size, it need not be the same brand, unless the installer has that quirk about insisting on it. I mean the question is that if the company was honest about there being a waiting list for the part, and you need it fixed sooner than that... then what.

I'm not so sure that I'd want the exact same thing as a replacement if it rusts out in only 7-8 years.

Last edited:
Correct, no 10 year warranty on most coils. But your HVAC company sure sounds like a shyster outfit. Even in Naples or Jupiter, nine grand is outrageous for a 3.5 ton system. Either he doesn't want the job, he thinks he can sucker you or he needs a new boat. I see no mention of the HVAC brand, but I'd go with a Trane or Carrier unless you plan to sell the home soon. Good luck. At least it's not July or August.

Back