Question on 0w-20 SP rated oils

AP is discontinued... When they were on the Mobil 1 list as a product the 0w-20 did not show as a SP oil but all other viscosities did. As far as PP and PUP, PP goes down to 0w-16 where PUP does not. Just curious...

I think AP was a failure right from the start. It was too high priced plus it was marketed for a small majority of drivers that drive 20,000 miles or more a year. The marketing was horrible and the jugs just sat on Walmart shelves until they finally disappeared.

My thinking is that Mobil was already making lineup changes before SP started and they had already decided not to include AP.

Mobil 1 annual protection was a marketing flop. They quickly discontinued the product.
Was it price? I was originally $49 when I came out at Walmart.
20,000mi drain interval.

Now you have Mobil 1 EP with 20,000mi interval and a reasonable price. It it the same stuff? Probably.

Rebranded and rebottled

Mobil 1 made changes, maybe AP was too close to EP and EP became very popular. That is another thread.

I think AP was a failure right from the start. It was too high priced plus it was marketed for a small majority of drivers that drive 20,000 miles or more a year. The marketing was horrible and the jugs just sat on Walmart shelves until they finally disappeared.

My thinking is that Mobil was already making lineup changes before SP started and they had already decided not to include AP.
Yes, and, IIRC, AP 0w-20 became EP 0w-20.

Mobil 1 made changes, maybe AP was too close to EP and EP became very popular. That is another thread.
No the price was too high especially when compared to other ExxonMobil products that were being offered at the same time. There was no way you could recoup the additional cost without driving to the maximum allowed miles for the product to obtain the warranty. Apparently very few people do that. And the warranty had the same calendar time limit as EP.

No the price was too high especially when compared to other ExxonMobil products that were being offered at the same time. There was no way you could recoup the additional cost without driving to the maximum allowed miles for the product to obtain the warranty. Apparently very few people do that. And the warranty had the same calendar time limit as EP.

It was a marketing flop much like Valvoline Modern Engine or Pennzoil’s multiple lines of oils like Hybrid and Power, etc.

Plus, todays engines with GDI or turbo don’t do well with a 20k OCI.

It was a marketing flop much like Valvoline Modern Engine or Pennzoil’s multiple lines of oils like Hybrid and Power, etc.

Plus, todays engines with GDI or turbo don’t do well with a 20k OCI.
Well, we retained the 20K OCI claim, it was just shuffled to the EP line.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.01.22 PM.jpg

If I recall those conversations correctly back at the time when this product was available, I don’t think there was any economic justification. Even if you ran it out to the full 20,000 miles in that one year it was still more expensive than changing the EP product at 15,000 miles. All it really saved you in that regard or a few garage trips over a long period of time.

I think some members here did make a good argument that it was a technologically superior product. But that doesn’t always mean increased sales. It didn’t for me.

Yes and for most people it still makes no sense.
Never will I run and oil 20,000mo. Read the fine print. I days to follow your manufacture oil change interval.

My biggest issue is oil gets dirty. I drive high mileage and I've been stretching my intervals to a full 10,000mi.
I use nothing but full synthetic. I would never let it go beyond 7500mi for an oil change. I've become lackadaisical with my oil changes. As an offset, I've gone to a more premium oil filter and slightly oversized filter

Sounds like a broken record here but looking at Mobil 1 annual protection I notice a similarity from going from SN to SP rated oil. Same as PUP, (but not PP) the 0w-20 had a hard time getting the SP rating for 0w-20 but had no problem getting the 5w-20 oil to get the SP rating.
I believe most or all Mobil 1 0W-20 formulations did not change going from API SN to SN PLUS and then to SP. Check the four-digit revision number (formulation number) on the timestamp on the back of the bottle.

Good luck if you have problem with your engine. Take it to the dealership and tell them you haven't changed the oil in 20,000mi see what they say.
All of which is fine but still a nope on that fine print.

And why would the dealership be involved with an ExxonMobil warranty claim?

Late to the discussion but FWIW, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy meets both SP & ILSAC-GF-6A rating.

I wonder who was the first to know M1 AP would be discontinued? Ahhh, XOM !
None of my 17 jugs of 0W20/5W30 were SP …

Last edited:
Back