Question on 0w-20 SP rated oils

Sounds like a broken record here but looking at Mobil 1 annual protection I notice a similarity from going from SN to SP rated oil. Same as PUP, (but not PP) the 0w-20 had a hard time getting the SP rating for 0w-20 but had no problem getting the 5w-20 oil to get the SP rating.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say and I don't think any Mobil 1 Annual protection that was SP rated ever hit the shelves, it was discontinued in the summer of 2020 to my knowledge, I'm not sure why they still list it as a product on their website, it wasn't included in the 2021 rebate program, and Extended Performance now carries the same marketing claims for 20k miles or 1 year.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say and I don't think any Mobil 1 Annual protection that was SP rated ever hit the shelves, it was discontinued in the summer of 2020 to my knowledge, I'm not sure why they still list it as a product on their website, it wasn't included in the 2021 rebate program, and Extended Performance now carries the same marketing claims for 20k miles or 1 year.
It may not be there now but when that fact sheet was posted you can see that 5w20 was SP and 0w20 was SN. Guess I am asking due to the same condition with PUP 0w20. By the way PUP 0w20 and Mobil 1 extended 0w20 are now SP… Just curious why the time lag on the approval for that weight?

But now the SP ratings are on the 0w-20 for Mobil 1 and PUP. I do not know… But with the Pennzoil the ultra 0w-20 was not approved for a while but the regular Platinum 0w20 was SP approved. It is always about money (business) but did the product improve or decline to make the SP rating for that one viscosity?

But now the SP ratings are on the 0w-20 for Mobil 1 and PUP. I do not know… But with the Pennzoil the ultra 0w-20 was not approved for a while but the regular Platinum 0w20 was SP approved. It is always about money (business) but did the product improve or decline to make the SP rating for that one viscosity?
First off they are API licenses, not approvals. That's not just an academic point since no blender is going to market a superseded license in their product. Current vehicles state API SP in their owner's manual. But there is a lag, you saw that with the interim API SN PLUS, and some products which are going to be discontinued anyway certainly aren't going to be reformulated for a later license.

Sometimes it is very hard to understand your point in the posts you make. I'm not the only one here in this thread, what is it that you're trying to say?

First off they are API licenses, not approvals. That's not just an academic point since no blender is going to market a superseded license in their product. Current vehicles state API SP in their owner's manual. But there is a lag, you saw that with the interim API SN PLUS, and some products which are going to be discontinued anyway certainly aren't going to be reformulated for a later license.

Sometimes it is very hard to understand your point in the posts you make. I'm not the only one here in this thread, what is it that you're trying to say?
Just call me a simple man… 0w-20 is a very popular flavor. Their top oil from Mobil 1 and Pennzoil had the same issue. I have been looking for a present SP 0w20 VOA to compare. Just curious what they did to make it SP.

Last edited:
Just call me a simple man… 0w-20 is a very popular flavor. Their top oil from Mobil 1 and Pennzoil had the same issue. I have been looking for a present SP 0w20 VOA to compare. Just curious what they did to make it SP.
Mobil 1 AP was discontinued, that's what happened.

It's likely that absolutely nothing in the product changed. Mobil is one of the key players in the API, they've been FAR ahead of the curve forever, having products that meet subsequent specs years before they appear on the scene.

Just curious what they did to make it SP.

For all we know it could have simply been an existing product that just happened to pass newer licensing requirements once given the opportunity to do so. Otherwise I presume to think that all the manufacturers modified their existing formulations somehow so that they would be able to pass. API licensing does not appear to be anywhere near as stringent as say obtaining a European approval.

For all we know it could have simply been an existing product that just happened to pass newer licensing requirements once given the opportunity to do so. Otherwise I presume to think that all the manufacturers modified their existing formulations somehow so that they would be able to pass. API licensing does not appear to be anywhere near as stringent as say obtaining a European approval.
That is my suspicion. (sad) Pennzoil had it’s regular Platinum pass.
Ultra Platinum 0w20 here…

Ya… I know junk. But the doc. is dated 5/7/2019 and says SN.

Platinum 0w20 here…

Last edited:
I don’t see how it can be determined that a certain oil had difficulties achieving a API standard. The AP example has been explained since AP was discontinued.

The oil companies work on these rating well in advance. They are probably working on SQ or whatever the next API standard is since they already have the requirements.

As for details you won’t get them from the companies.

I don’t see how it can be determined that a certain oil had difficulties achieving a API standard. The AP example has been explained since AP was discontinued.

The oil companies work on these rating well in advance. They are probably working on SQ or whatever the next API standard is since they already have the requirements.

As for details you won’t get them from the companies.
Been waiting since December for a response, actually sent two requests regarding the Ultra 0w20 fact sheet.

No I get it now, this is the same topic as you already posted in a different thread.

No I get it now, this is the same topic as you already posted in a different thread.
But Mobil 1 annual protection 0w20 has another twist. And finally Pennzoil has a fact sheet on PUP 0w20 coming out. I got my answers.

What is the twist on AP other than you can’t find it on the shelves?
AP is discontinued... When they were on the Mobil 1 list as a product the 0w-20 did not show as a SP oil but all other viscosities did. As far as PP and PUP, PP goes down to 0w-16 where PUP does not. Just curious...

Back