Quality of Buc-eyes gas station fuel?

I was surprised when I searched for BUC-EE's gas. Nothing really came up specifically about the quality of their gas being bad or good, etc..
What have you folks experienced?
Has anybody done or know of any scientific studies of their gas?
I noticed they’re not top tier rated. Although I did look at the Top Tier website and as far as I can tell their information is five years old! So does that mean a lot of these stations that paid for Top Tier rating, have now decreased their fuel quality?
Thank you.

Cant say about their tier rating and I dont use their gas too often because the closest one is 34 miles from my house. Having said that I have never noticed any difference from their fuel and the local valero station I use a lot.

The US has pretty strict regulations on gasoline. If you get bad gas anywhere - it was turned that way by the station - either it sat too long or got contaminated, etc. Since Buc-ees is pretty new with pretty high turn it seems I would imagine its pretty clean. I have filled up a couple times without any issues.

Now its not top tier rated - so you can get into that debate if you want, but it would be more general not buc-ees in particular.

Cant say about their tier rating and I dont use their gas too often because the closest one is 34 miles from my house. Having said that I have never noticed any difference from their fuel and the local valero station I use a lot.
I have you beat on the milage to the nearest station! I dont see why their fuel would be any different than the other stations in their area.I doubt if they have their own processing plant. Im sure they buy fuel from a local supplier like everyone else

Screenshot_20240524-065527.jpg

I have you beat on the mileage to the nearest station!
Good news Chris, a new Buc-ee's is being built on the west side of Phoenix so only 337 miles!

We've been by a few in our travels but they didn't match our schedule and I'm not interested enough in a mega convenience store to just stop.

Buc-ee’s = I have only bought E0 for OPE - runs great …

List of DEF, E0, Tesla chargers, car wash, etc …

I always stop there in Temple tx or outside Houston to top off and get the latest coffee mug and snacks and of course to use their world class bathrooms, and the result over the past several years have been no gasoline quality issues.

Buc-ees is also riding fine on the former fuel solenoid hole on my Kubota tractor (see sig pic)

Buc-ees stickers are also on a few dev programmer laptops in India as a diplomatic gift.

If it were Florida though or NW Texas, i'd be wary but Buc-ees wouldnt be at fault.

I haven't bought " Top Tier " gas in decades . :rolleyes:
I would have to make a conscious effort to not ever get top tier fuel as much as I travel. It’s pretty much every where I go.
You must stay put in a particular area that doesn’t have a lot of top tier stations around? I wish I could stay around home and not have to travel much anymore.
Either that or your just not a fan lol

I would have to make a conscious effort to not ever get top tier fuel as much as I travel. It’s pretty much every where I go.
You must stay put in a particular area that doesn’t have a lot of top tier stations around? I wish I could stay around home and not have to travel much anymore.
Either that or your just not a fan lol
No , I don't travel much anymore . I fill up locally 90% of the time , if not more . There are a couple of places around here that sell Shell gas but I usually don't go there and I couldn't tell you if it's TT or not . I buy my gas at Murphy most of the time and a bottle of Techron once or twice a year seems to be doing the trick .

No , I don't travel much anymore . I fill up locally 90% of the time , if not more . There are a couple of places around here that sell Shell gas but I usually don't go there and I couldn't tell you if it's TT or not . I buy my gas at Murphy most of the time and a bottle of Techron once or twice a year seems to be doing the trick .
I see, Murphys is good gas anyway.

Last edited:
The government says all fuel sold in the USA must have a certain amount of the Top-Tier additive. Auto companies think it is NOT enough and so we have "Top-Tie" which has ~ 5X times the Gov. mandated minimum. Ed

I buy diesel from buccees and it claimed to be up to 20 percent bio diesel. You can barely feel the truck idling. I've filled up a few times where the price was a good bit cheaper at other stations and the truck always had a bit of a vibration to it.

I was surprised when I searched for BUC-EE's gas. Nothing really came up specifically about the quality of their gas being bad or good, etc..
What have you folks experienced?
Has anybody done or know of any scientific studies of their gas?
I noticed they’re not top tier rated. Although I did look at the Top Tier website and as far as I can tell their information is five years old! So does that mean a lot of these stations that paid for Top Tier rating, have now decreased their fuel quality?
Thank you.
They're supposed to be cheaper than other stations, but that's not the case here

Due to their incredible volume (120 pumps), I speculate Buc-ees uses a wide variety of suppliers, probably taking whatever is available to them at the moment, then its all mixed up. Franken-gas.

Back