Top Tier Stations Detergent Levels

He meant as preventative for buildup.... having used top tier doesn't prevent buildup on the valve because the fuel doesn't touch it with direct injection.
Ah, I thought he meant the valve cleaner for some reason. Thanks

Not saying you didn’t use top tier. Thats the result of DI engines.

Of course, we were also talking about deposits left behind though, not just deposits removed. It is a metric regulators and top tier use, with top tier of course claiming less deposits left behind.

It's effectiveness in GDI engines is also a frequently asked question that top tier kinda sorta answers in the FAQ on their site.

It doesn't seem to have worked here lol. But its not an outlandish statement to make if you think about it, since obviously fuel quality has a huge effect on the amount of deposits left behind, although top tier is an additive package, but obviously the function of deposit control additives isn't just cleaning deposits it's also preventing deposits. They do that without needed to be sprayed on the valves by keeping deposit precursors in solution so that they are carried through the combustion process. Supposed to anyways lol

Last edited:
Most valve deposits come from the PCV system doesn't it? My electronic throttle body gets carboned up enough to disable the car if you don't spray some cleaner in it once a lustrum and no fuel is even close.

Most valve deposits come from the PCV system doesn't it? My electronic throttle body gets carboned up enough to disable the car if you don't spray some cleaner in it once a lustrum and no fuel is even close.
I fixed an intermittent idle issue on my 2005 Silverado before I even owned it (company work truck) by cleaning the throttle body. It would start surging at idle and almost stall then recover repeatedly until I put my foot on the gas and brake to help it or the engine was shut off and restarted. Did this one every few weeks until I cleaned the throttle body and now I do it yearly.

Back