Quaker State or Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go with either oil. I understand everyone's recommendations with dino based on UOA's etc and personally use Pennzoil at oil changes and Chevron as topper oil due to reading this website.

However I have a 10 year old 200k++ car since new and used Valvoline probably for 130k of its life and half of that with Fram filter to boot at around 4k OCI. The engine runs perfectly fine and never has been opened for an unexpected repair. Lastly it has never had any additives or cleanings, just a golden haze on the inner workings when you peak into the valve cover through the oil filler cap hole.

For the Quaker State fans:
Quaker State and Pennzoil are exactly the same oil.
The only difference is the color of the bottle it comes in. For some reason, around here Quaker State is always more expensive than Pennzoil.
Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
The only difference is the color of the bottle it comes in.

This is completely and absolutely false.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
The only difference is the color of the bottle it comes in.

This is completely and absolutely false.

Patman is being more diplomatic than I would have been. I would have said this is complete and absolute BS.
grin.gif

And just to further what they said, Quaker State and Pennzoil are not the same product. Do a search on this topic, and you should find a nice post explaining the differences between QS, Pennz, and Shell - all products of SOPUS from a good source.

Back to the question at hand, I'd buy whichever was cheaper if I was running it in a run of the mill oil change. They both would work just fine.

As far as additive levels go, I place very minor faith in them being an accurate indicator of oil performance. Certain oils (Motorcraft 5w20 comes to mind) show what some would call terrible additive levels, yet perform as well, if not better than teir peers. Oftentimes I laugh when one oil is called inferior based on a VOA showing "low" levels of additives. The funny thing is you can usually look at what the poster calls an oil with a good additive level, and they are often nearly identical.
shocked.gif

Moral to the story: Judge the oil by results, not the starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back