I year motor oil

If you were to run one oil for 1 year which would it be, mileage would be about 10-15K, which oil would it be? Oils that are available on store shelves, Mobil 1, Valvoline EP, Castrol EP, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Quaker State synthetic.

Thank you..

Well there are certainly a lot of claims out there. However are these engines that claim to be able to handle 10000 and 15,000 miles or longer, is that even good for the life of the engine? I can see an occasional 10,000 miles oil change a few times during the lifetime of an engine but not all the time.

All oils can all go a year but at what mileage? Yes, oils & engines are better than ever however, with all of the technologies in the engines and the extra small passage ways the the oils have to pass through thus requiring thinner oils, is 10000 plus mile OCIs the best for these engines?

Last edited:
Well there are certainly a lot of claims out there. However are these engines that claim to be able to handle 10000 and 15,000 miles or longer, is that even good for the life of the engine? I can see an occasional 10,000 miles oil change a few times during the lifetime of an engine but not all the time. All oils can all go a year but at what mileage?
Even the occasional. What oil would you choose to hold up?

What application? Car or truck? Gas or diesel? PFI vs DI or dual?
What environment? Deep south? Arctic circle? Arid?
What driving patterns? hwy or city? towing or running with light loads?

Yet another inane BITOG question, ill conceived and poorly defined ...

I would chose to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

If you know more than the army of engineers who build, design, test, improve, and benchmark that car, then you wouldn't be asking such a ridiculous question.

Most European oils are designed for extended drain.

Ford recommends 10k I typically change it every five or six thousand miles, with 5W-20 synthetic, just asking a hypothetical question. I live in the east coast.

That doesn't really narrow down the application

I typically change it every five or six thousand miles
Then why is your thread title inquiring about 15k mile OCIs?

just asking a hypothetical question
You and about 10,000 other BITOGers recently

I live in the east coast.
And ... ??? You've left us confused here, because your initial post question was posed as if you are asking the BITOG community about their vehicles in their lives, not yours.

If you want help selecting a lube for your personal application, then be specific and direct to the point.
If you are just bored and wanting to see what the rest of BITOG uses, then perhaps read a lot more threads before you post another.

If you were to run one oil for 1 year which would it be, mileage would be about 10-15K, which oil would it be? Oils that are available on store shelves, Mobil 1, Valvoline EP, Castrol EP, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Quaker State synthetic.

Thank you..
What vehicle - model - year and engine please?

i wouldn’t run any off the shelf oil to 10k miles. boutique oils on the other hand, i will aslong as there are UOA’s to approve of the extension in mileage.

Thank you..
What's your sump capacity? What year/make/model vehicle do you have?

2013 Ford Edge 3.5 Duratech Engine 6qts current time I'm using 5W-20 synthetic, I may switch to 5W-30 synthetic I think it's about 120,000

I wouldn't run any for a year nor that mileage.

But if I had to it would be Mobil 1 EP or QSUP

I run SuperTech or Costco oil for 10,000 miles OCI. Think that comes out a little more than one year for me. About 6 months for my wife.

Thank you..

ive never done anything much over 5k miles on any oil. i wouldn't go 10k on amsoil or any of that other high priced stuff. although im sure many on here would. i do a lot of short trips. less than 8 miles round trip for work. on my ford ranger i change oil every 6 months with anywhere from 3-5k miles. could i do yearly oil changes, sure, but i like changing oil often. 6 months, sometimes 5, seems to be the sweet spot for me. ive used several brands depending on what wally has on the shelf. me & my ranger seem to agree on castrol edge EP paired with m1 or purolator boss filters.

2013 Ford Edge 3.5 Duratech Engine 6qts current time I'm using 5W-20 synthetic, I may switch to 5W-30 synthetic I think it's about 120,000
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 - if you do mostly highway miles, then go for that drain interval. If it's severe usage like stop&go traffic, lots of city driving and idling, then cut that interval in half. Definitively go for the FS 0W-40, it's the best oil you can buy at Walmart, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I use M1 EP 0W20 and change it yearly (10k-ish miles) in my son's Jeep Renegade. I use it because it is advertised as good for that length of time and mileage, and it was priced approx the same as the other oils advertised for such service.

Back