Purchased a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Yeah those are nice. I believe you can get lockers in the Renegade/Cherokee so that's clearly an advantage.

The i-VTM4 shouldn't be underestimated though. Can send 70% of the power to the rear and 100% left or right. True torque vectoring. This system for 90% of what you encounter is fantastic. But again it's not designed for Jeep like trails.

I don't think the Passport is trying to look the part. I think its focus is different and shifted more for better on road capabilities.
Exactly, it's a different niche. Not a Jeep competitor! Doesn't mean it's bad!

I don't know how to feel about new model generations. Part of me wants to stick with the tried and true version that's got the bugs worked out, but the other part of me wants the fancy new version with more features etc.

I probably could have gotten a 14' Genesis with the same engine for a lot less but I bought a 15' (new generation) for the good looks and features.
I'm in the stick with the tried and true camp. Or give the new model about two years to see what bugs it may or may not have, and if they get ironed out or not. Since I'm not quite ready to replace a vehicle yet due to the CV19 slowdown, the new GC we wanted will get pushed to MY 2023 now. The good news for my wife and I is we can wait.

In my opinion the ones from the 90s- early 2000s were the best Wranglers. Just based on what I have heard I’m going to stay away from them. Nothing good has ever rolled out of a Fiat plant. My aunt bought a Fiat and it was a lemon so she traded it for a Dodge not much better but an improvement slightly.

Mine must be a sneaky Italian. It must be faking like it is a great vehicle. ;)

I'm considering a Rubicon/Jeep possibly for my next vehicle, however Jeep reliability or lack of I should say does concern me.

Trouble free early production 2018 JL Wranger Rubicon here. 40k miles. We've got probably 20 of them (JL's) now in our Jeep clubs, and we flog them pretty hard. Nobody's had any significant issues and each absolutely loves his/her Jeep.

Don't let fear/worry cheat you out of the fun you'd have in it.

Last edited:
Just a note on Pentastar lifter failures. There are over 12,000,000 Pentastars on the road. If a very small percentage had a lifter failure, most mechanics would say they've seen it and you'd hear a lot about it on the internet. Perspective. 12 million. That's A LOT OF ENGINES.

I'm in 2 Jeep clubs with literally almost 200 Pentastars in JK's and JL's between them. Not a signle one has said they've had a lifter failure. The only 2 guys that had a major Pentastar problem were one with a 2012 that had one of the faulty heads. They gave him a new engine under an extended 100k warranty. The other had his son drive it through water up to the window sill and POP! Hydrolock. Somehow that guy thinks it was the Pentastar's fault. Nobody can convince him that they were not meant to power a submarine.

View attachment 36219
We got her an early Christmas present. My Wife was tired of her 2016 Santa Fe sport after 5 1/2 years and 95k miles. It was paid for so why not? After searching and driving vehicles for a couple of months we settled on this. The options she insisted on was the memory driver seat and heated steering wheel (my Ram has it and she fell in love with it). Most vehicles in this category besides the Jeep GC and the Hyundai Palisade you must get darn near the highest trim level to get these two features and I was wanting to stay around 40k or so. The Palisade SEL premium is a little larger with a 3rd row (which we don't need), and most every dealership we called would only take at max 2k off msrp of 44k. This limited GC had the same msrp of 44k. We got 7k off msrp with employee pricing they are offering plus dealer discounts. The dealer also gave us almost the amount for our trade that I would've sold it for without the headache of selling it myself. So that was a plus.

Anything negative I should watch for?

She's happy so i'm happy, lol. I'll do a review on it in the future after we get a few miles on it.

She'll get pennzoil platinum 0w-20 and wix filters every 5-7k.
I have been so curious about the new 2021 Grand Cherokee. Is it everything you expected, or more, in this new model? Anything you have to say about it I'm interested in reading.
It looks very nice! (y)

I hope you are wrong on that, but only time will tell. They've, thus far, done an excellent job with the new RAM, which, for a completely new platform, really had very few growing pains, all things considered. We have a very early production 2019 that has needed some of the updates, but it has been a great truck so far.

On the powertrain I believe the initial offerings will be nary identical to what is currently being offered:
- 3.6L V6
- 5.7L V8
- 6.4L V8 (SRT)

Not sure if there will be a Trackhawk version off the hop or not, my dealer is expecting not, and that it will come later like it did on the WK2.

In addition to the triad of gas engines there's supposed to be:
- PHEV version
- EV version

But those may, particularly the EV, not be offered right out of the gate.

I'm really hoping for an SRT electric version.
Hi Overkill.
I genuinely hope i am wrong too.

I am concerned that Jeeps of the future will just become rebadged Fiats and loose their indivuality as a Brand. Look at the Renegade, it's nothing more than a Fiat 500x. Just euro trash rebadged.

I appraise trade ins at a Ram store. I see 10 - 15 Rams in a week. 2010 - 2019 are the most common I see. Quite a few off brands as well, Chev, GMC and Fords
I also approve the repairs after the appraisal, so I have an end to end view on what it costs for repairs.
In general, at 100,000 miles, a Ram may need a new front axle, $500, maybe a front diff for $800. Manifolds for the Hemi - $1200, all Rams with pedal parking brake need a EBrake kit for about $1000. If they were actually operated, they wouldn't seize up and need replacement.
Then it is cosmetics - all owner caused. If the front corners of the hood corrode, it is covered under warranty for 5 years, and an attentive owner will get that repaired under warranty.
I have yet to see a bad 8-speed.
Any GM truck at 100,000 miles is an electrical nightmare, and it usually needs to go to dealer for their specialized scanners.
Just appraised a 2015 Ford XLT with the 2.7L Ecoboost and 90,000 miles. My system appraised it at $4000 less than a similar Ram. That tells me the market is worried about the turbo motors. Any higher mileage Ford Ecoboost throw up warning flags, and we go to auction with these, just not worth the head aches in repairing them.
Annnnnddddd this is why I buy Japanese vehicles, lol! Wow!

Most of the Rams I see are used as trucks in construction, fishing, hunting, towing trailers at max weights.

A lot of it off of paved roads.

Show me a full size Japanese truck that does all that, and doesn't have the same issues.
Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX are the correlation for this thread. These are absolute offroad monsters with real body-on-frame construction, locking center diff, 2 speed transfer cases, and multiple settings for the above (rock, mud, etc). Let me know when America makes an offroad vehicle as capable and long lasting as the LC / LX, eh? There are others, but Americans don't have much apetite for them, so the UK soaks up the market mostly. America gets shafted on a LOT of cool stuff, like the 4v 6 cylinder turbo engines Ford puts out in AUS, real Landrovers, on and on.

Since I do none of the above with mine (except fishing and unpaved roads, but not really anything too crazy), Mazda was my answer since I don't need the towing/hauling and would rather the on-road performance.

That said, construction/corporate probably gets fleet deals and economically a cheap vehicle that's used up at 100K miles isn't a bad way to go. Dump 'em and replace at fleet prices.

Last edited:
Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX are the correlation for this thread. These are absolute offroad monsters with real body-on-frame construction, locking center diff, 2 speed transfer cases, and multiple settings for the above (rock, mud, etc). Let me know when America makes an offroad vehicle as capable and long lasting as the LC / LX, eh? There are others, but Americans don't have much apetite for them, so the UK soaks up the market mostly. America gets shafted on a LOT of cool stuff, like the 4v 6 cylinder turbo engines Ford puts out in AUS, real Landrovers, on and on.

Since I do none of the above with mine (except fishing and unpaved roads, but not really anything too crazy), Mazda was my answer since I don't need the towing/hauling and would rather the on-road performance.

That said, construction/corporate probably gets fleet deals and economically a cheap vehicle that's used up at 100K miles isn't a bad way to go. Dump 'em and replace at fleet prices.
Land Cruiser and LX pickup trucks?
Tell me more, I'm intrigued.

Never seen a Land Cruiser at the local Toy dealerships, and the nearest Lexus dealership is over 300 miles away.

I should probably let go of some of the fear of buying something reliable and be more focused on what I'd enjoy the most. Growing up in the 80's my first car was a 1985 Dodge Daytona. What a POS. When I was 19 or so I bought my first Toyota. From then on there was no looking back. Japanese reliability stayed with me for years. My dad had a 2001 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0. No issues. If I were to buy a Jeep product I'd go for the V6.

I'm in the stick with the tried and true camp. Or give the new model about two years to see what bugs it may or may not have, and if they get ironed out or not. Since I'm not quite ready to replace a vehicle yet due to the CV19 slowdown, the new GC we wanted will get pushed to MY 2023 now. The good news for my wife and I is we can wait.

I think this reason is why some of the older offroad vehicles are so popular. When *actually* going offroad, the newer electronics in most 4x4s are a vulnerability. That isn't to say they will fail, they are in fact very reliable considering the complexity, but anyone who has been offroad and where it gets dirty and wet knows that the more potential you have for electronics to get wet, the more issues you can have. My TJ has about 3 wiring harnesses total.

I think this reason is why some of the older offroad vehicles are so popular. When *actually* going offroad, the newer electronics in most 4x4s are a vulnerability. That isn't to say they will fail, they are in fact very reliable considering the complexity, but anyone who has been offroad and where it gets dirty and wet knows that the more potential you have for electronics to get wet, the more issues you can have. My TJ has about 3 wiring harnesses total.

My 4 wheeler is reasonably complex all things considering but I've not had any issues with its reliability seriously working it offroad. On the other hand my old Suzuki would conk out whenever it caught a whiff of water, which I've tried to track down since I've given it to my son and it's pretty basic with about the only electronics on it being electronic ignition.

You bring up good points, which I wasn't even thinking of. I just don't like the look of the knob shift selector in the Ram PU at all. Flame suit on!! FTR it's still my favorite of the full size pick ups though.

You bring up good points, which I wasn't even thinking of. I just don't like the look of the knob shift selector in the Ram PU at all. Flame suit on!! FTR it's still my favorite of the full size pick ups though.
Knob is love, knob is life!

For real though, I hate the t-handle shifter... I’d rather have a column shifter!

Previously my wife had a 2014 4cyl Accord, Japanese if I'm not mistaken. Was using oil by 30k miles, starter replaced at around 45k miles, battery within first year, front end paint sand blasted within 2 years. Big disappointment, never again.

Previously my wife had a 2014 4cyl Accord, Japanese if I'm not mistaken. Was using oil by 30k miles, starter replaced at around 45k miles, battery within first year, front end paint sand blasted within 2 years. Big disappointment, never again.

The key thing to realize, is that ANY manufacturer can make a lemon. Sometimes problems with a specific vehicle only exist for a model year or two, before the manufacturer identifies and fixes the issue going forward. Usually the truly bad vehicles can be identified through a little research.

Back