Purchased a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee

So I understand what you mean but its important to differentiate between having LOCKERS and having a system that has the ability in the right circumstances to temporarily lock. If you read the article about QDII you will see the last paragraph mentions that for example the system will automatically unlock the diffs during turns "to avoid doing damage" and you have no control over that. This differs from manually engaging a front locker which would stay locked during a turn (potentially doing damage). I wasn't at all downing QDII as I love it and think its one of the best systems out there... cheers
It did NOT unlock the lockers in 4wd low, as stated. You could scrub/hop the tires in a turn if you were so abusively inclined, and the manual said so. So does your link, for that matter.

It did NOT unlock the lockers in 4wd low, as stated. You could scrub/hop the tires in a turn if you were so abusively inclined, and the manual said so. So does your link, for that matter.
could you link to that? I see where it says it locks the front and back together ie at the transfer case
I dont see where it talks about the ELSD very much.

all I saw was
All components of the system work together, continually monitoring needs, to provide smooth and automatic application of the components for best-in-class tractive performance while improving the day-to-day on-road driving experience. For example, the ELSD releases the clutch packs in the front axle during turns to allow differentiation and prevent crow hop.

back on topic. I was looking at a 2021 GC , but the deals are not here right now. most I could get off was 7k on loaded ones, 6k on the 40000 models.

for comparison I got 10k+ off my 2017 cherokee and 10k off my 2019 cherokee.

I wouldnt be shopping for a trailhawk.. probably laredo X with a couple option pkg at most.

I think it's so far out there and dumb as (double hockey sticks). who has the reserve cash to buy at least 100k in vehicles. wife has no idea, so maybe he just financed them both w'out even using her as a co-borrower.....yeah yeah.. I know just a commercial, but to me I guess it's comical as GM thinks this is the norm...
Have you seen the Lexus & MB commercials that boom away every year on year at year end ?

Guess December to remember is only ok for them …

Driver is the computer:

3B13D906-FF60-41A7-9D6C-E6F44FC66BD2.png

could you link to that? I see where it says it locks the front and back together ie at the transfer case
I dont see where it talks about the ELSD very much.

all I saw was

back on topic. I was looking at a 2021 GC , but the deals are not here right now. most I could get off was 7k on loaded ones, 6k on the 40000 models.

for comparison I got 10k+ off my 2017 cherokee and 10k off my 2019 cherokee.

I wouldnt be shopping for a trailhawk.. probably laredo X with a couple option pkg at most.
He already did. I guess I can take a picture for you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-174655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-174655_Chrome.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
Locking the front and rear driveshafts together at the transfer case has nothing to do with differential lockers (the switches for which are shown in 4WD's imagine of a Rubicon Wrangler).
I can tell you, having tried it (turning sharply), that at least the front diff locks solid in 4wd low on <2010 QD2 JGC vehicles. I tried it in the damp grass and it was very apparent. Do you own one? Have you?

I can tell you, having tried it (turning sharply), that at least the front diff locks solid in 4wd low on
The front differential 100% does not fully lock. I don't need to have owned one to know that.

You might not know this, but knowledge can be obtained through means besides first-hand experiences. Often times, first-hand experiences can be misleading, especially when the person experiencing them lacks the technical knowledge to understand what is happening.

The front differential 100% does not fully lock. I don't need to have owned one to know that.

You might not know this, but knowledge can be obtained through means besides first-hand experiences. Often times, first-hand experiences can be misleading, especially when the person experiencing them lacks the technical knowledge to understand what is happening.
As you know, factory vehicles with front and rear (actual) lockers is a very short list …

Yes, it does lock. 100%. That is why I bought a 2010. They changed that in 2011 by removing the front locker because people can't have nice things.

This explains it. Basically in 4 lo, any slip at all locks the diffs, per jeep, for 90 seconds. In 4hi, it takes a lot more to provoke full lockup. So I guess you're right if you're not moving it's not locked, but the second any slip occurs it goes rigid for 90s.

Last edited:
I can tell you, having tried it (turning sharply), that at least the front diff locks solid in 4wd low on
The binding can also be because the front and rear are locked together normally the center diff compensates.
in 4 low it acts like an old school 4wd truck with no center differential.. which makes it bind in turns even without a front or rear locker.

The picture you posted says nothing about the ELSD staying locked. in fact the link posted earlier says it unlocks. You can see my confusion?

The binding can also be because the front and rear are locked together normally the center diff compensates.
in 4 low it acts like an old school 4wd truck with no center differential.. which makes it bind in turns even without a front or rear locker.

The picture you posted says nothing about the ELSD staying locked. in fact the link posted earlier says it unlocks. You can see my confusion?
Dude, even the jeep forums are confused. As best I can tell...

4 hi is like we normally think of awd, except the diffs can lock on you. They then stay locked for 90 seconds per jeep. 4lo locks the front and rear DS, and makes the diffs hypersensitive.

Dangers of having things 100% lock in snow and ice as well as binding are why 2011+ lost the front elsd.

I can say my 2019 mazda cx5 is more competent on ice and in snow than my jeep was, so for snow and ice at least, Jeep made a good call imo dumping the front elsd.

I have owned many 4WD combos in my life … many had a rear locker and an open differential up front. The front is still going to put up a fight turning if it has some traction …

last week I was running the Rubicon in and out of mud holes to get to a back lake in the marsh …
but where I needed to turn around was some firm silt … with only the rear locked … stopped mid way and backed up before finishing the turn … it was binding that much with the front unlocked

The 2011+ models would bind up and be unhappy while turning if there was traction in 4 low even with open diffs front and rear.

Reactions: Ws6
They were limited slip in the front, but also used the brakes to act as a traction aid. This is how "snow mode" works on current Grand Cherokees. Only certain models came with a mechanically locking rear differential.

Even with open diffs, you can experience the binding from the front end on a traditional 4x4 vehicle with a transfer case that locks the front and rear driveshafts together. Jeep did offer vehicles that allowed for the front and rear driveshafts to spin with a viscous coupling that prevented this binding in the NP242 with the "full-time" option and the NP247/NP249 full-time 4x4 transfer cases.

Back