'Prime' Steaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a whole boatload of em' at the local grocery meat counter today. Sirloin, New York Strip, etc. Some fine looking steaks indeed, but I only eat grass fed beef these days.

If you're a corn fed beef lover, go get em! They're around, and at a steep discount as compared to the local steakhouse.

Acura,

I would get one of each with everything else being as equal as possible (same cut, thickness, etc.). Then, prepare & cook both of them the same. See which one you like better. You might be suprised. Have someone else prepare & cook it so you won't know which one is which.

As tasty as I know the prime steaks probably are, I can't eat em. I oppose corn fed beef on ethical grounds, and only eat grass fed beef when possible.

I've been cutting down on meat consumption lately. Why? Because we as Americans eat way too much meat. Cheap factory farm meat is highly petroleum dependent. One good way to rid ourselves of foreign oil dependence is to stop eating so much f'in meat.

Health is another concern. There aren't really any nutrients in corn fed beef. If anything, it just contains lots of saturated fat and protein. Haven't met an American yet suffering from protein deficiency.

Unless you have some sort of specialty beef, it is all finished up on grain in the yard anyway. Yes, you can tell the difference between grass fed and grain fed beef by taste, and just by looking at the raw cuts as well.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Unless you have some sort of specialty beef, it is all finished up on grain in the yard anyway.

Well, that's what has confused me for some time. The sale barn where we used to take all our calves & occasional cows did that. I didn't know how widespread that practice was though.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
As tasty as I know the prime steaks probably are, I can't eat em. I oppose corn fed beef on ethical grounds, and only eat grass fed beef when possible.

Would you mind expanding on that some? Do you eat corn & other vegetables? Please educate this ignorant southern boy what is unethical about an animal eating corn & then me eating that animal.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Please educate this ignorant southern boy what is unethical about an animal eating corn & then me eating that animal.

Not unethical, just unnatural. Imagine someone took away your healthy veggies and fish from you and forced you to eat strictly Big Macs instead. Sure, you'd gain weight quickly, but would you be healthy?

Mamala & Quattro,

I understand about cows eating grass since that's "natural", but AcuraTech said unethical. I am curious about this "angle". I had heard other concerns before, but not ethical.

Can y'all expand on the practice by sale barns of how they tend to the cows after sale & prior to slaughter?

Grass fed beef is fed corn to fatten them up and to get the grass taste out of the meat. Grass fed is good otherwise the cattle may be fed who knows what. The choice or prime etc is the amount of fat in the meat.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Grass is the natural diet for cows.
Yep I used to have land that cows cut the grass for me. To get the best flavor on the meat they would be pulled off the grass and fed corn or some other grain before slaughter.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

I've been cutting down on meat consumption lately. Why? Because we as Americans eat way too much meat. Cheap factory farm meat is highly petroleum dependent. One good way to rid ourselves of foreign oil dependence is to stop eating so much f'in meat.

Health is another concern. There aren't really any nutrients in corn fed beef. If anything, it just contains lots of saturated fat and protein. Haven't met an American yet suffering from protein deficiency.
I can agree with eating too much meat, but meat has good stuff nutrition wise. To save petroleum we should drive less and make hobbies with anything that burns gas "internal combustion a big no no" Even worse is much petroleum is used in fertilizer to grow the veggies many people depend on .

Saying is the beef 100% organic? It's wrong since organic means using 100% organic grains the beef can be labeled as organic.

The term should be 100% grass fed with no antibiotics and hormones to be technical.

I'll eat steaks maybe 4 times a year. North Shore Cattle Company is where I pick my stuff up after headed towards the North Shore.

Eat Natto that will fill the protein need instead of beef. You need bacterial function in the digestive system ... I eat that 3 times a week at least.

Eat Natto that will fill the protein need instead of beef. You need bacterial function in the digestive system ... I eat that 3 times a week at least.

Soy has too much testosterone blockers in it for me.

It's all about moderation, as with anything. Meat has estrogen aswell, but not as much.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

off topic, but does anyone know if horses can digest corn?

Yes. In fact horses can get too fat on corn (as compared to oats), unless the amount of feed is cut back.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

off topic, but does anyone know if horses can digest corn?
Yes but is can lead to too much starch in the horses diet. My daughters horse has eaten a tuna sandwitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back