The Health Benefits of Grass-Fed Beef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grass fed beef is pretty much all we've ever eaten. The difference is huge, but with a little common sense it actually costs less.

We buy a full beef (with a neighbor) once every year or so. We're set up with a local farmer who grass feeds cattle and a locker to process the meat when we're ready. Last time we purchased (almost a year ago) we ended up with 400 pounds of quality beef for just over $800, or just over $2/pound for each of us. That includes steaks, ribs, roasts and other prime cuts, but very little ground beef (per our order). I'm not sure how it could get much cheaper, especially if you compare to supermarket prices for what I consider an inferior product.

Originally Posted By: volk06
If it was truly grass fed it will have a wild game taste, very much like the taste of venison.

That just simply isn't true. The type of cattle will make a difference, but the quality grass fed beef that we've purchased for years isn't gamey at all.

And in case you were wondering, the farmer from whom we purchase our beef lives 3 miles from us, and we walk, jog and bike on a trail that goes right next to the pasture and fields where his cattle graze. We literally watch our beef from calf to maturity as we pass by when we're on the trail.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The 'Body Ecology' website pretty much looks like a 'Big Hippie' propagandized approach to sell products. Lot's of conjecture, fear, and non-scientific validations.
Just my opinion. But I do like beef....grain, grass, or whatever.

Yes, but they have good articles from time to time. I don't go to the site often. I prefer http://www.westonaprice.org/

I avoid grain fed anything if at all possible, and, grass fed beef around here isn't much more expensive than commercial meat. Corn and soy feeds = fats high in Omega 6 fats, which most of us have too much of.

GFB isn't a major source of Omega 3, but it has a much better fat profile than grain fed.

Organic dairy is better than commercial, but it's often high in Omega 6, unless noted otherwise. I'm seeing grass fed ultra pasteurized dairy products more lately.

I believe raw dairy is the best, and if not available, go without. I get raw milk cheese, which is awesome.

Yep we raise our own from calf to slaughter. The have free range of the pasture and only get creep feed to get the required minerals/nutrients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back