The Benefits of Bone Broth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Benefits of Bone Broth

February 3, 2009

There is nothing like a homemade broth – rich, fragrant and glistening with droplets of golden fat. It’s an essential aspect of good cooking. Homemade bone broth offers the depth of flavor that its store bought counterpart simply can’t parallel. It’s also an extraordinarily inexpensive food, especially for its nutritive value. Beyond its culinary uses and economic benefits, bone broth is remarkably healthful.

Culinary Uses

Broths made from bones have been used across the globe throughout human history. Nearly every traditional society boiled bones of meat-giving animals to make a nutritive broth. It is deeply flavorful, but versatile and can provide the base for soups, sauces, gravies as well as providing a cooking medium for grains and vegetables.

In our home, we inevitably have a crock pot of perpetually brewing poultry stock bubbling away on the counter. And we use it everyday. When I braise vegetables, I use bone broth. Or we use it to baste roasting meats. Or, of course, in the soups, sauces and gravies we eat throughout the week.

While bone broth is technically a stock, and not a broth the terms are often used interchangeably.

Frugal Benefits

Bone broths are remarkably inexpensive to make. Many times you can prepare a decent broth for the cost of energy used to heat your pot alone. By using the bones from leftover roast chickens matched with vegetable scraps you’ve saved, you can make a gallon of stock for pennies. In getting to know your butcher or local rancher, you can often acquire beef or lamb bones for free.

Preparing your own stock at home can possibly save you more money over time than any other kitchen endeavor. Consider that a one-quart package of Pacific Organic Broth will set you back at least $4.75 at most grocers, but making your own bone broth from kitchen scraps will cost you only the pennies needed for energy use. And it tastes better.

Health Benefits

As I mentioned earlier, bone broth has been prepared in kitchens, hearths and firesides throughout history. And, in many ways, it’s a lost art. Home cooks have simply forgotten how easily a broth is made and how worthwhile it is to make this low-cost, highly nutritive food a regular part of the family diet.

As the bones cook in water – especially if that water has been made slightly acidic by the inclusion of cider vinegar – minerals and other nutrients leach from the bones into the water. Homemade broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and other trace minerals. The minerals in broth are easily absorbed by the body. Bone broth even contains glucosamine and chondroiton – which are thought to help mitigate the deleterious effects of arthritis and joint pain. Rather than shelling out big bucks for glucosamine-chondroitin and mineral supplements, just make bone broth and other nutritive foods a part of your regular diet.

Further, homemade bone broths are often rich in gelatin. Gelatin is an inexpensive source of supplementary protein. Gelatin also shows promise in the fight against degenerative joint disease. It helps to support the connective tissue in your body and also helps the fingernails and hair to grow well and strong.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/the-benefits-of-bone-broth/

We made broth for many years. Beef and pork bones was almost free years ago, but grocery stores in my area are selling it for up to 99 cents a pound now. For chicken broth, we buy whole chicken on sale for around 59-69 cents a pound, my wife separates the white meats and legs for BBQ or for other cooking, we save the rest for making broth.

I broil the bone(beef or pork or chicken) to boiling point for a minute, dump the first water which is very brown/dirty, the second water is keep below boiling point at around 205-208F for few days. The broth is tasted much better than any that we can buy at grocery stores.

I get some big marrow bones from the local butcher, that have been cut in half and roast them up in a pan on the outside grill, year round. I then put them into a huge pressure cooker with vegetable scraps, potato skins and old vegetables, about to hit the trash, cover with water and let them simmer away for a few hours.

When the pot is cold the liquid is strained, chilled for a couple of days, fat is taken off the top I have plenty of gelatin broth form my dogs and the dogs in the hood to add to the dry dog food. I add a cup or so of the cold gelatin to the dry food and they clean their bowels.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I add a cup or so of the cold gelatin to the dry food and they clean their bowels.

confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: 55
Originally Posted By: mongo161
I add a cup or so of the cold gelatin to the dry food and they clean their bowels.

confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

That too....lol....but the bowls are clean...not a nugget of dry dog food is left.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Given your screen name, when are you going to give us the benefits of smoking the reefer???

Now sure how my screen name relates to reefer but I don't smoke anything these days. 40 years or so ago I smoked a few.
crazy.gif

Bought about 4 packages of almost outdated organic chicken drumsticks. Meats for my 2 cats and I have almost fulled my freezer.

Cooked a big chicken breast in crock pot a few days ago and it came out del-icious, moist and tender, can't beat it.

Right now I have 2 nice turkey thighs in a 3 qt crock pot cooking. Will save all the poultry bones and make bone broth with them, for me and I may give some to the cats, as I love to make them as healthy as they can be.

I bought beef bones for $1.69 a pound. I can remember when good steak could be bought for that, it seems. I boiled them for a good 8 hours, and the broth came out kind of thick. Makes a great base for soup, and with my healing broken ankle, I need the minerals to rebuild. I love a nice warm sea salty / fresh peppery soup on a cold day.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Given your screen name, when are you going to give us the benefits of smoking the reefer???

Now sure how my screen name relates to reefer but I don't smoke anything these days. 40 years or so ago I smoked a few.
crazy.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

Originally Posted By: eljefino

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

I assure you all that when I decided on my handle, I did not have cannabis in mind. I don't know but offhand it seems a tad far fetched to me that anyone would surmise I'm referring to pot in my handle. I had to use some numbers with the name Scoot if I remember right, so I chose 4 20. 4 20 has personal meaning to me, but I won't say exactly why.
Let's see, I've been accused of being a politician, a spammer, a troll, and you name it, just based on the threads I post. I'm a health food nut that likes to chat online about various things, and none of the things I've been accused of, but feel free to keep guessing.

15 states now have medical marijuana laws, so everyone better get ready. The reefer invasion is here.

Recently my wife, an Occupational Therapist, received a trade rag in which they discussed the evil weed and its medical uses.

To say I was surprised is an understatement!

We save all the bones from our edible critters, and make a big batch of broth every couple months. Its good stuff, and does make a nice soup. We do the initial boil down outside in a 20L pot and then do the finishing inside.

I've heard of people in the sticks, using "road kill" to make a hearty broth.

Nothing but dead cats, dogs, rats and squirrel around Coney Island for road kill.....so I guess I'll pass on that one.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I broil the bone(beef or pork or chicken) to boiling point for a minute, dump the first water which is very brown/dirty, the second water is keep below boiling point at around 205-208F for few days. The broth is tasted much better than any that we can buy at grocery stores.

I was always wondering how to cook it right. Do you have to constantly add water to compensate for the evaporation? Does the house stink in the process? What other seasoning / herb do you add? (I was told to use ginger, green onion, wine but not salt)

The lid on the 10 quart stock pot is very tight, almost no water is added because of evaporation. The key is keep the temperature few degree below boiling point so that the broth is clear.

I usually add grilled onion, ginger, potato and some vegetables. No seasoning/wine until it's ready to serve.

The best chicken broth my family love is cooked this way:

Buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco, remove skin, white meat and legs for later. Use the bone and juice for cooking broth.

Two whole chickens with white meat and legs removed for BBQ, boil the remaining to boiling temperature for 1-2 minutes. Dump that boiled water and clean the stock pot and the chicken with cold water.

Add the rotisserie chicken bone with the other bones and grilled onion, ginger, potato and some vegetables then add water to about 80% of the stock pot. Turn on high heat until the water temperature reaches 190-200F, turn down the heat to minimum and use a hand towel to cover the lid. Leave it there for a day or two and the broth is ready to serve, or use it to make egg noodle soup, or any other soup.

Last edited:
What I do and is recommended is add 1 tsp to 1 TBS of vinegar to the bone broth to lower the pH and help leach minerals from the bones. I don't add other foods. I make the broth first, then chill it and remove the fat from the top, and then I use the broth, a little at a time, for my soups, which I usually make a bowl at a time, as d as that may sound.

I don't mind the smell of broth cooking very much. It just smells like meat soup cooking or something. I have central heat/AC and that changes the air often.

Can I re-boil the bones a 2nd time? I tried it and am going to use the new broth from that, but it doesn't seem as thick as the first batch.

Making a new pot chicken broth tonight for dinner tomorrow. We are going to have winter storm this Saturday, down here in So Cal we call light shower with temp below 65F winter storm. Hot soup while the drain drops is so appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back