Avoid These 7 Foods For A Healthier New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

For the record I only I eat wild salmon.

Same here.

Wild Salmon is one of the few fish that are supposed to be very low in mercury.

My father worked for 20 years as an environmental scientist gathering data on the amounts and effects of many hundreds of compounds and chemicals in the air, water, soil, and yes, even the flesh of animals and fish.

You're talking in the worst cases of a couple parts per million and probably more like parts per billion (even trillion) of something like mercury. Unless you eat your weight in fish every month there is no way you'll get sick. There are literally thousands of qualified scientists working every day to ensure that the acceptable levels of such chemicals in foods are kept at a small fraction of would be even in the most conservative of estimates a dangerous level.

To get a concept of one part per billion, that's about three seconds out of a century.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
one of the few fish? I guess we must first work on the definition of what level do you consider to be very low?

I've been Mercury Toxic and have been chelating it out of my body for over a year and I consider myself quite familiar with which fish are safe to eat and which are not.

Wild Salmon and shrimp are supposed to have "ND" levels of Hg, and that's about the only sea food I choose to eat.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
My father worked for 20 years as an environmental scientist gathering data on the amounts and effects of many hundreds of compounds and chemicals in the air, water, soil, and yes, even the flesh of animals and fish.

You're talking in the worst cases of a couple parts per million and probably more like parts per billion (even trillion) of something like mercury. Unless you eat your weight in fish every month there is no way you'll get sick. There are literally thousands of qualified scientists working every day to ensure that the acceptable levels of such chemicals in foods are kept at a small fraction of would be even in the most conservative of estimates a dangerous level.

To get a concept of one part per billion, that's about three seconds out of a century.

Yes but these acceptable levels do not seem to take into account people like me that tend to stockpile toxins in our bodies. We are the ones that need to detoxify this stuff from our bodies using chelators, anti oxidants, etc. Personally I have liver problems and my body type causes me to tend to become toxic with various metals.

I had 18 mercury amalgam fillings that were all replaced with non metal ones in 1986. I'm totally against the idea of putting toxic metals such as Hg in people's mouths.

There are many fish and other foods that I personally wouldn't even consider eating. I have no faith in what the FDA, EPA, etc., has to say about "what's considered to be safe to eat" because what's good for someone in robust health may not be for someone like me. I tend to live by what my veteran health food advocates do and live by. We thoroughly study the foods we eat.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i grew up on merchurochrome :D

Me too, I still have a bottle that I use for 'painting' the back of my throat when I get strep or something similar. It knocks it right out.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I thought you should add fudge rings,ding dongs,twinkies,slim jims,anything from any place with a GOlden Arch,7/11 Super Gulps and that is just the begining.

Agreeing with JB here.

Is this REALLY a HUGE concern?

Quote:
1. Canned Tomatoes

The expert: Fredrick vom Saal, PhD, an endocrinologist at the University of Missouri who studies bisphenol-A

The resin linings of tin cans contain bisphenol-A, a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to ailments ranging from reproductive problems to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Acidity -- a prominent characteristic of tomatoes -- causes BPA to leach into your food.

Can someone post the real science?? Please.

Let's face it....you guys don't eat any canned 'mater's?

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I thought you should add fudge rings,ding dongs,twinkies,slim jims,anything from any place with a GOlden Arch,7/11 Super Gulps and that is just the begining.
These foods are the over the counter antidepressants!!

#5 really opened up my eyes - did some reading on that last night. YIKES! Apparently, studies of farmed Atlantic Salmon from Chile show lower PCB levels compared to farmed salmon from Europe, but still very high. I've been eating a lot of canned Atlantic salmon from Sams club when they don't have the wild Alaskan - not anymore! Same with farmed raised Salmon you find at the grocery store - you can get it for maybe $5.99/pound where as wild salmon, especially fresh, is over $10/pound. Fortunately one of our local grocers gets wild Arctic Char every year - proven low in mercury and PCBs, for under $5/pound. I bought a bunch and froze it last year.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
It's been said that the same preservatives in HOSTESS TWINKIES were used to mummify the Pharoahs' corpses.

Just not true....Twinkies will outlast the Pyramids 10 to 1

Originally Posted By: Silk
A big controversy here at the moment - someone is trying to start indoor dairy farms.A lot of opposition,from the government too.

There was an article in New Scientist prolly 10 years ago, discussing how American researchers had found ways to make healthier milk.

More calcium, magnesium, zinc. High Omega 3 acids were available by feeding the cows a very special diet.

Green grass, rather than grain.

Whoda thunkit ?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Can someone post the real science?? Please.

Let's face it....you guys don't eat any canned 'mater's?

Where's the real science of the companies that started using in in foodstuffs and containers ?

Surely the onus is on them to prove safety first.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i grew up on merchurochrome :D

Dabbed on with the cork by Mum.My knees were always covered in red dots....

"Compared to the other workers, men with high BPA exposure were about four times as likely to report trouble achieving erections, about seven times as likely to say they had difficulty ejaculating, and about four times as likely to report low sex drive or low satisfaction with their sex lives."
correlation = causation?

"For one thing, the reported 50-fold difference in exposure seems to be an underestimate because of how it was calculated, he said. In addition, he said, the workers inhaled BPA or got it on their skin. Consumers get it through diet instead, which lets the body detoxify it, Hentges said."

"Li said the workers probably were exposed not only through inhalation and skin contamination but also by swallowing BPA powder that contaminated their food. He said he didn't know which route was most prominent in the Chinese factories."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/heal...article1428929/

Quote:
According to the new research, 60-year-old American males with the highest amounts of bisphenol A in their urine had about a 45 per cent greater risk of cardiovascular disease than men the same age with lower exposures, confirming the results of a previous study on the topic released in 2008 and based on a different sample of people.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I'll eat what I like and suffer the consequences. Living a long life is way overrated.

I don't mind folks who eat junk food, smoke, or drink. Maybe social security will be around for me in 35 years
lol.gif

Any studies on causation?

Where's the studies that PROVE safety prior to introdution ?

Any studies on causation?

thalidomide and asbestos are great examples of waiting for such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back