Post your latest oil purchase or even filter.

yeah @ $34.85 per five quart jug.... not ridiculous pricing @ $7 qt equivalency.
OMG (for real).... Amazon is selling (1) quart of Motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic for $18.34 qt. Yikes!
I paid $31.13 before the recent $2 price increase on Subscribe and Save. Less another $1.60 in B of A rewards. I paid $9.37 ea for the quarts less some credit card rewards that I applied on both. Ended up being $6 ea for the quarts. Average of about $6.15 qt for all of it combined. Not cheap, Not ridiculously priced, but it is what I wanted

Picked up 2 jugs of PP from Walmart.

I stopped there yesterday and they would not price match, telling me the online price was only online. I left and went home to check their policy and they said they DO price match their online prices. So, I went back today and they sent me to CS. CS told me that they were told by their manager not to price match without manager approval. Someone (assuming the manager), came out and told me that it was cheaper online and they don't price match. I showed her the Walmart policy and she disappeared and eventually came back and said they would price match for me. The difference was ~$3 per jug. That's enought for a filter.

I stopped there yesterday and they would not price match, telling me the online price was only online. I left and went home to check their policy and they said they DO price match their online prices. So, I went back today and they sent me to CS. CS told me that they were told by their manager not to price match without manager approval. Someone (assuming the manager), came out and told me that it was cheaper online and they don't price match. I showed her the Walmart policy and she disappeared and eventually came back and said they would price match for me. The difference was ~$3 per jug. That's enought for a filter.
I experienced the same issue with Walmart price match for various items. All the cashiers have (apparently) been told not to match their own online prices.

Home depot is even worse. Their policy states they will match competitor's prices but the manager insisted they don't. After showing her the policy she changed her story slightly but still wouldn't match the amazon price...I hope she enjoyed putting my cart full of lumber back on the shelf!

If that all took an hour you made less than minimum wage for it.

Probably about 20 minutes, maybe a few more. Since I had one more thing to do, go to Costco, and nothing else it didn't really keep me from anything else and they are only 1 minute from each other.

A few thoughts to ponder...

It would be great if we were able to make money every minute of the day, in which case the time/money calculation would be easy. But most people only get paid for time on the job; in situations (e.g., shopping, cleaning the dishes, etc.) where we are getting paid $0/hour and are usually spending $xx/hour, saving a few $$ is cost reduction, not income reduction.

Ditto for commute time...if you spend 30 min commuting to/from a job, shouldn't that time be compensated? Otherwise you are essentially giving up an hour for free.

A few thoughts to ponder...

It would be great if we were able to make money every minute of the day, in which case the time/money calculation would be easy. But most people only get paid for time on the job; in situations (e.g., shopping, cleaning the dishes, etc.) where we are getting paid $0/hour and are usually spending $xx/hour, saving a few $$ is cost reduction, not income reduction.

Ditto for commute time...if you spend 30 min commuting to/from a job, shouldn't that time be compensated? Otherwise you are essentially giving up an hour for free.
I look at cost reduction (assuming my time/labor is involved) differently. It is payment for my time to myself. And the associated opportunity loss is what is being purchased as time doing other things may be deemed more valuable or important. It is easier to breakdown when it has an hourly cost/payment associated with it.

I look at cost reduction (assuming my time/labor is involved) differently. It is payment for my time to myself. And the associated opportunity loss is what is being purchased as time doing other things may be deemed more valuable or important. It is easier to breakdown when it has an hourly cost/payment associated with it.
That is certainly true if the time would be spent doing other, more valuable things and/or earning pay. But I am salaried so I get paid the same regardless of whether I take a break... :)

2006 Pontiac Vibe @ 220,069 mi.
M1 Euro 0W-40 and ST4967

2007 Pontiac Vibe @115,162 mi.
M1 ESPx3 Euro 0W-40 and ST4967
IMG_2248.jpeg

Mobil SS 5w30 for our friend's ‘03 Corolla. She's a single aunt who's raising her niece, so just doing a little bit to help her out with free oil changes. I change it every 5k for her. I throw in a fuel system cleaner for good measure, since I don't know what gas she typically runs.

[Linked Image]
WishvI could do something like this however, being a mechanic, I get calls all the time from people expecting stuff for free. When I do help someone out, it usually ends up biting me in the last rear. For example, I fixed an electrical short in a headlight for a friend and then theu called a week later complaining that theu had a noise while driving ever since I fixed their headlight. Turned out it was a bad wheels bearing. How they had not heard it prior, I don't know? Crap like that happens all the time.

Oh back to the subject though, I bought all the 5w30 synthetic oil that I could get from Autozone for work- we ran out and unfortunately our supplier was 4 days out with oil.

For myself at home, 2 gallon (maybe 5 qt jugs) of 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic and 2 Champ Labs filters for my Honda Civics and 2 jugs of 0w-20 Mobil 1 and 2 Mopar filters for my 2 Jeeps.

Went to Wal Mart near me; spied 2 lone bag in box M1 0w40 same price member WLK posted in rebate, sale section. So I took one! Killed my one Wal Mart gift card to buy the oil. Win/win

Back