Possible WIX failure?!? What could have happened?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Myth creation. Someone has to say it. There is no evidence any Wix filter ever leaked at the seam when the seam looked perfect visually. Or any Wix had a bulging or malformed seam, as far as I know. These seams are interlocked very tight and it is a time tested design.
What is true is two people see oil and have the opinion it is the seam, which they are entitled to do but it's not evidence of anything.
Call it whatever you want, but that oil all over the underside of the car wasn't a myth.
smirk.gif

It will be interesting to hear the follow up on this if Wix is open to telling you what happened.

Another reason to thoroughly inspect filters for any defects before buying and/or installing. This is one reason I stopped buying M1 filters. The glue was all over the place on the baseplate. Perhaps it was only a sign of sloppy assembly but other filters didn't have that issue.

Oil on the underside of car can also come from loose oil drain plug, bad drain plug washer, loose oil filter, overtightned oil filter (pinch the gasket) or oil filter applied over bits of the previous gasket.

Fiat owns Jeep; does that make a Jeep the same as a Fiat 500?

Just laughing at the hilarious disinformation, wild speculation and leaps of logic in this thread.

Myth creation. Someone has to say it. There is no evidence any Wix filter ever leaked at the seam when the seam looked perfect visually. Or any Wix had a bulging or malformed seam, as far as I know. These seams are interlocked very tight and it is a time tested design.
What is true is two people see oil and have the opinion it is the seam, which they are entitled to do but it's not evidence of anything.

You might want to study up on how the base plate is sealed to the rest of the can. Plenty of ways an oil filter can leak at the base seam and still look fine visually. It can leak under oil pressure and still look fine, and is not going to show any "bulge".

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

You might want to study up on how the base plate is sealed to the rest of the can. Plenty of ways an oil filter can leak at the base seam and still look fine visually. It can leak under oil pressure and still look fine, and is not going to show any "bulge".

You might want to study up. It is a myth that the seams leaked, based on guessing.

So you don't think any oil filter can leak at the base seam? It happens quite a bit if the sealant and/or crimp is not made right. So what do you think the cause of this massive oil leak is when there was no visible evidence of where the leak was from? Osmosis through the metal, lol.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It will be interesting to hear the follow up on this if Wix is open to telling you what happened.

Another reason to thoroughly inspect filters for any defects before buying and/or installing. This is one reason I stopped buying M1 filters. The glue was all over the place on the baseplate. Perhaps it was only a sign of sloppy assembly but other filters didn't have that issue.

That's just it... I did. Always do. And it still looks nearly perfect (except the ADBV that LvR pointed out).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
Oil on the underside of car can also come from loose oil drain plug, bad drain plug washer, loose oil filter, overtightned oil filter (pinch the gasket) or oil filter applied over bits of the previous gasket.
33.gif
Yes. Of course. All of the above were disproven. Especially the plug part, considering the oil was pouring from above that spot...

Originally Posted by wdn

Just laughing at the hilarious disinformation, wild speculation and leaps of logic in this thread.
Okay, time to shut this down. "Hilarious disinformation"? Surely you're not aiming that at me. I've stated nothing but facts, all the while never claiming proof of an answer. I can back that up with the first word in the title of this thread. "Wild speculation"? Yes, that's what this thread is about: trying to discuss what may have happened. Discussion is what forums are for. "Leaps of logic"? I'll just leave that one alone. It's clear that even if WIX confirms a failure, you won't be satisfied. I'll just turn my head and not get this thread locked for bickering.

So you don't think any oil filter can leak at the base seam? It happens quite a bit if the sealant and/or crimp is not made right. So what do you think the cause of this massive oil leak is when there was no visible evidence of where the leak was from? Osmosis through the metal, lol.

Yeah, the WIX fanboys are out in full force. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda happy about it, but what would make me happier is them not getting in the way of 'the investigation'
lol.gif
. We'll find out a definitive answer soon enough, either directly from WIX, or directly from me (if they don't confiscate it, I'll definitely open it up).

I know it would be a hassle, but the sure way to test it would be to clean everything up, then reinstall the filter and watch for the source of the leak with the car safely on ramps.

WIX will probably take it and do a similar test in the lab.

Originally Posted by wdn

Fiat, I mean Jeep Renegade?

Guessing is not evidence. As far as me, I am an evidence fan boy, don't care about someone else's filter company just because I buy them. I don't buy Wix. Interlocked time tested seams on car oil filters have never been shown to leak if visually perfect. Show one if there are. The only one I have seen here that leaked had a very visible seam defect. No need to create yet another myth based on guessing.

I know it would be a hassle, but the sure way to test it would be to clean everything up, then reinstall the filter and watch for the source of the leak with the car safely on ramps.

So the filter was removed, never seen actually leaking, and now it MUST be the filter, because there is oil under the car ?

Dangerous ...

If it wasn't actually the oil filter, you might not get so lucky next time ...

Originally Posted by geeman789

So the filter was removed, never seen actually leaking, and now it MUST be the filter, because there is oil under the car ?

Dangerous ...

Have you seen the OP report that it still had an oil leak after installing a new filter? I haven't.

Guessing is not evidence. As far as me, I am an evidence fan boy, don't care about someone else's filter company just because I buy them. I don't buy Wix. Interlocked time tested seams on car oil filters have never been shown to leak if visually perfect. Show one if there are. The only one I have seen here that leaked had a very visible seam defect. No need to create yet another myth based on guessing.

Do some more research. I've searched this site and there have been quite a few base leaks reported on filters with no visual reason.

You never answered my question - if it's coming from the filter then what's your theory on where it's leaking from since the OP has inspected the filter tightness and base gasket. It's rediculous to believe the seam crimp/sealant can't ever have a failure.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Dangerous ...

The defendant's party sure is offering a whole lot of "speculation" recently. Ironic.

Yes, the filter was removed with evidence of oil leaking from at least that height. There was no evidence of oil being pulled by gravity from above that point, only "sprayed" oil above. This is NOT definitive evidence the filter is the culprit, but the evidence is pretty substantial. Once the oil and filter were changed, I wiped everything down and checked for all the right things (double gasket, deformed gasket/overly tight, dirty gasket surface, etc. etc.). None were an issue. There is clear evidence the ADBV is misaligned, but I'm pretty sure this is not the culprit. It's still somewhat indicative of what may be inside/unseen though. The most important actual evidence is that once it was fired up, there was no longer a leak from that area (the pan gasket has been seeping a tiny bit, but away from that space). This is the only fact here. Therefore it should be assumed the filter was the culprit until any other evidence surfaces. Hardly "dangerous."

Was that non-speculative enough?
smirk2.gif

Sounds like you have done what you can to figure out the issue. And, thankfully, you didn't lose an engine with the leakage problem.

It is frustrating when one is forced to say it seems like it must be the oil filter, without having proof it is actually the oil filter. In your case, it does seem like it must be the oil filter, but it would be better if there was an OBVIOUS defect, or being able to actually see it leaking when the engine is running.

And, WIX is like the only filter company that makes a "proper ... " oil filter for my Subaru. I have a 7055 on my car right now, in fact. I don't like stories like this ... the ONLY filter I've used that ever truly LEAKED was a K&N oil filter, and it leaked from the welded on nut. A lot ...

The moral of the story ... check your oil frequently. Like once a week. Sometimes weird stuff happens.

Back