Possible WIX failure?!? What could have happened?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ What exactly are you trying to point out?

Look at how sunk in the ADBV is in the holes closest to the stamped "20" (RED) vs on the opposite side (BLUE). That's no shadow, it stays consistent with all 4 turns. Sorry. I didn't want to draw all over the original photo. Here:

20191015_220158.jpg

20191015_220248.jpg

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Looks pretty good. Doesn't appear to be an oil filter issue. All worked up over nothing.
I wouldn't exactly call losing 2 quarts of oil and [especially] having the oil light flash "nothing."
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679

Look at how sunk in the ADBV is in the holes closest to the stamped "20" (RED) vs on the opposite side (BLUE). That's no shadow, it stays consistent with all 4 turns. Sorry. I didn't want to draw all over the original photo. Here:

If the ADBV is slighty misaligned it's not going to cause an external oil leak on the can.

If you really want to know if it's the base seam that is leaking, put it back on the car and watch for the leakage while the engine is running.

If the ADBV is slighty misaligned it's not going to cause an external oil leak on the can.

If you really want to know if it's the base seam that is leaking, put it back on the car and watch for the leakage while the engine is running.
Valid point. On her next OC, I may try this. Depends on the filter's fate I guess.

Agreed the funky ADB is not going to cause an external to the filter body oil leak but, its a good indication of the care taken during assembly.

I would be interested to see pics of the square seal ring channel after the ring has been pried/removed from the filter body (thinking possibly bad rubber square seal or distorted seal ring channel).

I would also get a center tube off a mounting or a simple bolt to screw into the filter and then take pics of the filter side-on to see if the body and the screw mount is oriented in the same axial plane in all directions

I had that same seepage on my Eclipse when I put on a Affina made Wix XP. I did an oil change on the car and replaced it with a Fram Tough Guard and haven't had any seepage since.

There's lots of complaints online with using these filters on Hondas. The only time I ever had that cold startup rattle was when I used one of those.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Did Purolator start making WIX oil filters?

Yes, since Mann+Hummel now owns Purolator and WIX.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Did Purolator start making WIX oil filters?

Believe they're still made in the old Wix plant in Gastonia, NC-but Mann owns them now, remember Purolator used to be pretty good before Mann got a hold of them, too.

Never had this problem and I've used many Wix filters. Curious if OP can put the filter back on the car and check for leaks and see where the oil is coming out.

Well, it seems WIX wants this filter for analysis. They're sending a "filter rep" to investigate. So much for testing it out on the next OC... I'll keep you all posted.

Well, it seems WIX wants this filter for analysis. They're sending a "filter rep" to investigate. So much for testing it out on the next OC... I'll keep you all posted.

They're sending a guy in person?

They're sending a guy in person?

Perhaps Wix/Mann-Hummel has people watching this website and they want to address recent concerns posted here? I know Subaru watches my website because when I worked for them they contacted my supervisor about things I had posted with questions for me.

Most likely the base seam crimp leaked. Not the first time a Wix leaked at that point was reported on BITOG.

Agreed.
It happens once in a while.

Driving around with 2 qts in the sump didn't hurt anything.

What filter did you spin back on?

Myth creation. Someone has to say it. There is no evidence any Wix filter ever leaked at the seam when the seam looked perfect visually. Or any Wix had a bulging or malformed seam, as far as I know. These seams are interlocked very tight and it is a time tested design.
What is true is two people see oil and have the opinion it is the seam, which they are entitled to do but it's not evidence of anything.

Back