Porsche Approved Oil: replacement of A40 with C40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any doubts on your end? This company does a splendid job in blending. The parameters are meticulously accounted for. The blending process is of high quality - they are extremely precise. Therefore, it should be 3.5 or higher.
why do you ask this? my question is what it is.nothing more, nothing less. what is the exact number of hths. the rest are your thoughts, i never implied anything and i know how good company is ,its from Europe ,where i am from, so i know a lot more for that company.

i had an answer from a representative of LM.

Στιγμιότυπο 2023-06-20, 6.54.13 μμ.jpg

i answered to him.explained to him about hths. provoked him to answer back me. ''same thing castrol does" said to him. its nice when you know things and have arguments. thanks to bitog.will he accept the challenge? to be continued? lets wait and see.

Hello

The question of the exact HTHS for SAE 5W-40 engine oils is not really relevant. The HTHS

for oils above SAE 5W-30 is always comparable due to the given dependencies of the other high and low

temperatures, provided that the oils are in the middle range of their SAE class.

In the middle range of their SAE class. This is also the case with our products. Thus

all our SAE 5W-40 are anyway always above 3.5 mPas and there in the range of approx. 4 mPas.

The same applies to SAE 10W-60, whereby the value here is around 6 mPas.

Beste Grüße / Best regards

Jochen Rohm
Anwendungstechnik
F&E-AWT Forschung & Entwicklung
ok, the bold ones ,i don't understand what he means. what high and low temps does he mean?

the underlined were my words . he is trying to make me not to worry because i told him that thats where i would like it to be.

Some interesting facts.
We have C40 approved list from Porsche North America suggesting several oil brands.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32392-0001.pdf

Looking at the European approval list, only Mobil X3 can be found on it.

While examining the specifications of the oil brands listed in the US overview, they continue to assert the validity of their approval and yet the EU dealers are suggesting only Mobil can be used.

Any thoughts on that?

Some interesting facts.
We have C40 approved list from Porsche North America suggesting several oil brands.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32392-0001.pdf

Looking at the European approval list, only Mobil X3 can be found on it.

While examining the specifications of the oil brands listed in the US overview, they continue to assert the validity of their approval and yet the EU dealers are suggesting only Mobil can be used.

Any thoughts on that?
What do you mean by "validity of their approval"? On the list I see there are multiple oil brands with C40 approval, not just ExxonMobil. Or do you mean ones with a 0W winter rating?

Dealer suggestions are just that. Suggestions. They may be informed or uninformed suggestions depending on the dealership. We have that here in the US as well.

What do you mean by "validity of their approval"? On the list I see there are multiple oil brands with C40 approval, not just ExxonMobil. Or do you mean ones with a 0W winter rating?

Dealer suggestions are just that. Suggestions. They may be informed or uninformed suggestions depending on the dealership. We have that here in the US as well.
Thanks for replying. I apologize for any confusion, I may have been unclear.

Regarding validity, I was referring to the expiration dates which are still in effect. Consequently, their approvals should also remain valid. However, upon examining the specifications of one particular brand, it appears that their approval is no longer valid, despite having held it previously. As a result, their oil is now recommended and not approved.

To clarify, these lists are not recommendations from dealers, but factory-approved lists. Dealers can present these lists to their customers. This means that customers in the US have the option to choose from a variety of oils, while EU customers are limited to using only Mobil. I'm guessing this his might play a role when extending PA Warranty.

Last but not least, there is a differentiation in the grade requirement. The EU document specifies that only Mobil 0W-40 is allowed, while the user manual permits the use of 5W-40 grade as well, as long as the temperature requirements are met.

The winter rating is irrelevant unless you are starting unaided below about -35. Above that it makes zero difference.

And any brand with the approval is suitable regardless of location. To say that only one brand is acceptable for EU makes no sense.

And any brand with the approval is suitable regardless of location. To say that only one brand is acceptable for EU makes no sense.
But that's exactly what the EU dealers and the document are saying. Please see the attachment.
When asked about the 5W-40 grade the conversation stops. No more replies. ;)

I'm curious about the status of the approvals. If the US document indicates a valid approval, but the oil datasheet indicates otherwise, what is the situation in this case?

Attachments

• Freigabe-95-21.jpg
    Freigabe-95-21.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
No one here is able to help with your specific dealer proclivities. Sorry about that.

As for data sheets, I typically ignore those in deference to what appears on the oil container. Data sheets are often out of date (as can be the manufacturer list). If the container says it has the approval then I’m good with that, just be careful of the wording. Of course it’s always nice if you can verify with a manufacturer list.

I understand, I wasn't seeking help but rather highlighting an inconsistency.

The information on the datasheet and on the container is the same so I'm positive it's valid and accurate. I still find the difference between the US approval and the European approval peculiar.

One could speculate that the intention behind having only Mobil approved for EU customers is to encourage them to choose Mobil over other brands.

yet the EU dealers are suggesting only Mobil can be used.

Any thoughts on that?
but US dealers do the same. if you have a look at

you will know it.

second choice brand for Porsche lovers is motul by far.

dealers do their work. oem oil for mercedes and porsche is mobil 1. just like for bmw is castrol for US as from 2022 and soon, from 2024, for Europe too. yes bmw Europe closed the deal with castrol .its official, castrol as oem will be back for bmw owners al over US and Europe from 2024.

Last edited:
but US dealers do the same. if you have a look at

you will know it.

second choice brand for Porsche lovers is motul by far.

dealers do their work. oem oil for mercedes and porsche is mobil 1. just like for bmw is castrol for US as from 2022 and soon, from 2024, for Europe too. yes bmw Europe closed the deal with castrol .its official, castrol as oem will be back for bmw owners al over US and Europe from 2024.
BMW (globally), similar to Porsche in the US, provides a comprehensive list containing all approved oil brands. Therefore, regardless of the dealer's recommendations, customers can still find oils from various brands that are approved by the manufacturer (BMW).

It is important to distinguish between the dealer's suggestions and the official Approved list, which is published by the factory through the dealer network. Moreover, it is evident that the OEM approvals did not receive an extension, resulting in certain brands no longer being officially approved but instead recommended. However, it is worth noting that these products still meet the OEM specifications.

Indeed, you are correct, Motul is often considered a popular alternative choice. While the US Approval list states that Motul has a valid approval, the information on the container and datasheet indicates that it is only a recommendation. This inconsistency raises questions about the actual status of Motul's approval. Although Motul meets the C40 specifications, it is puzzling why the EU does not mention its approval and why this information is not seen on the container.

I don't see any issues with dealers recommending a particular brand, but I find it peculiar that approvals which were valid for several months or even years ago are now being revoked.

Why not just use Mobil 1 European 0W40?
Simply because you can buy oils with significantly superior specifications for the same price or even less.
I am also troubled that Mobil doesn't disclose certain information, such as sulphated ash and total base number (TBN) in their datasheet. Both play a vital role in engines equipped with gasoline particulate filters (GPF).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back