Picked Up My First 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Honestly, I'd cover the rails with the included lubricant without disassembly and shoot it unless you feel grit in it.

DW does not crimp the plunger spring or have a retainer tab on the recoil spring plug, so keep that in mind when dissambling.

Detail disassembly of a 1911 is not hard, but it can be a bit of a learning curve.

You won't have to deal with an ambi, FLGR or magwell, but this should get you through:

Thanks for that!

I'm undecided as to whether to detail-strip before the first time I shoot it. Definitely going to field-strip, clean & lube.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You normally won't find any love from me on the 1911 platform, but that is a nice looking TARGET gun. Looks sweet.

Just lube it and shoot it. Wouldn't worry about the detail strip until you shoot it a lot.

Mark your magazines so can keep track of them when it jams.

LOL...

Thanks Bubba
smile.gif

What kinds of guns do you like?

On the wartime govt model-I pulled it from the holster and saw the surface rust, but was able to easily remove the oiled mag and saw it was loaded and I was able to depress the top cartridge and get movement and spring tension. At that point I racked the oiled slide with no problem and then field stripped for inspection. The internals were still lightly oiled and nothing broken or out of order. At that point, I decided to do this 'test'-so reassembled and fired it. I was aware of past discussions of 'old ammo' and 'spring sets' -thus the reason for my actions. This was about 1977, so it had been sitting for over 30 years with temp swings in a Minnesota attic of well over 100 degrees and who knows the humidity numbers, but these numbers were reasons for the mil-spec environmental testing of sample production lots which we conducted when I was working in the Honeywell ordnance business. After the firing, I think I used Hoppes #9 with fine steel wool for the light rust and fully cleaned and oiled before handing off to the owner's son. He fired it a bit with no issues. I seem to recall that this was produced by Remington-Rand.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I'm undecided as to whether to detail-strip before the first time I shoot it. Definitely going to field-strip, clean & lube.

As you may be aware, there have been instances of stainless DW's locking up fairly early in break in due to stainless galling. You may want to read up on that. DW has fairly specific lube recommendations and I would follow them to a "T" until you are well into the break in. In spite of what has been said about grease, you may find some in it, I would strongly advise against cleaning it off if you do.

Oh-on the posting with 'worries of a gun grab'-I'm a fella who has read a ton of wartime 'personal accounts' and also talked to a number of other vets over the years. Nobody has any idea of the huge numbers of 'battlefield pickups' that came home during and after the wars, but it's huge and totally unmanageable at this point. While diaries, photography and shipment of such were 'not authorized' such was mostly ignored. Medical folks and navy were probably able to carry back the easiest, but many 'ground pounders' were able to ship. My long gone uncle was a MASH surgeon in Korea and he brought all kinds of stuff back and same with my old dentist who served in Europe. My dad was infantry and were told before boarding the ship home from Tacloban that if anything 'unauthorized' was found in their 'stuff' they'd be 'missing the boat'. He said the pile was rather large!

Originally Posted By: billt460
Not concerned about the field-stripping, but I've never detail-stripped a firearm. Anything to be concerned with about detail-stripping? Is there anything that can get out of adjustment?

If you haven't fired it yet, I wouldn't go beyond a simple field strip and lube. Why attempt to fix what isn't broke? You could end up generating more problems than you could solve.

Well, the reason I'm considering a full detail strip is that a guy in the Dan Wesson sub-forum over on 1911forum.com, who has the same pistol, that also has a similar serial no. to mine (made around the same time) detail stripped his and found some sand in there.

I wouldn't worry about any foreign materials until you think you have evidence there actually is any in your gun. Field strip and a really good lube job is all it's going to require. Being as it's a Stainless gun I would really grease up the slide rails good. Use a Lithium based grease. That will be far more important than tearing the gun down. Especially before you put any ammo through it. Galling of Stainless on Stainless is a real world concern. Stainless Steel is "gummy" because of the Nickel content of the metal itself. It's tends to gall far more than carbon steel.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I seem to recall that this was produced by Remington-Rand.

Out of all of the 5 makers, Remington produced the best ones. They developed the heat treating process during the end of the war that is still in use. I have a 1945 model that I purchased from a dealer who shot it regularly. I also shot it some before someone wised me up.

and not "if" lol

Last edited:

Thanks for the comments!

How do you like your SARO?

The Perfecta is just fine. I've shot plenty of the 9mm. At $10/box at Walmart, it's my preferred 9mm plinking ammo. Haven't tried the .45 ACP yet.

So far it's been great, only about 150 rounds through. Good trigger, accurate enough. The frame to slide fit is very solid. Only other thing I've done is bought a Wilson Combat 10 round mag.

Overall a nice gun that I plan to keep for a long time.

I'm going to try some Perfecta, thanks for the feedback on it.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
On the wartime govt model-I pulled it from the holster and saw the surface rust, but was able to easily remove the oiled mag and saw it was loaded and I was able to depress the top cartridge and get movement and spring tension. At that point I racked the oiled slide with no problem and then field stripped for inspection. The internals were still lightly oiled and nothing broken or out of order. At that point, I decided to do this 'test'-so reassembled and fired it. I was aware of past discussions of 'old ammo' and 'spring sets' -thus the reason for my actions. This was about 1977, so it had been sitting for over 30 years with temp swings in a Minnesota attic of well over 100 degrees and who knows the humidity numbers, but these numbers were reasons for the mil-spec environmental testing of sample production lots which we conducted when I was working in the Honeywell ordnance business. After the firing, I think I used Hoppes #9 with fine steel wool for the light rust and fully cleaned and oiled before handing off to the owner's son. He fired it a bit with no issues. I seem to recall that this was produced by Remington-Rand.

Man, that's awesome!

As someone else says, those Remington-Rands are highly desirable.

Really cool that it was in such condition after so many years of temp & humidity change.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

As you may be aware, there have been instances of stainless DW's locking up fairly early in break in due to stainless galling. You may want to read up on that. DW has fairly specific lube recommendations and I would follow them to a "T" until you are well into the break in. In spite of what has been said about grease, you may find some in it, I would strongly advise against cleaning it off if you do.

Yes, I'm aware. Definitely going to follow their instructions, at a minimum.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Whatever you do, be sure not to put an idiot scratch on it.

Good advice. I do have a Browning HiPower Standard (blued finish), that I've had since Oct. 2014, so luckily I read about the dreaded idiot scratch when doing research on that gun and was able to avoid it. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: Fastzntn

Thanks for the comments!

How do you like your SARO?

The Perfecta is just fine. I've shot plenty of the 9mm. At $10/box at Walmart, it's my preferred 9mm plinking ammo. Haven't tried the .45 ACP yet.

So far it's been great, only about 150 rounds through. Good trigger, accurate enough. The frame to slide fit is very solid. Only other thing I've done is bought a Wilson Combat 10 round mag.

Overall a nice gun that I plan to keep for a long time.

I'm going to try some Perfecta, thanks for the feedback on it.

Very cool! I know SA knows their way around a 1911!

You normally won't find any love from me on the 1911 platform, but that is a nice looking TARGET gun. Looks sweet.

Just lube it and shoot it. Wouldn't worry about the detail strip until you shoot it a lot.

LOL...

Thanks Bubba
smile.gif

Combat accurate, uber reliable ones with a track record of reliability. With a lightweight polymer frame if I'm carrying it for any length of time.

LOL...

Thanks Bubba
smile.gif

Combat accurate, uber reliable ones with a track record of reliability. With a lightweight polymer frame if I'm carryin1g it for any length of time.

I like that kind too. I have 2 Glocks - a Model 20 (my first firearm, bought when I was 21, in 2001) and a Model 36, which I bought when I got my HCP. I love both - especially the Glock 20.

I bought the 1911 because I wanted something with the potential to be not only precise, but also easy to shoot accurately. Classic, all-steel guns just give me a warm fuzzy.

Well, I decided to just field-strip the DW and oil for now. Also racked the slide a couple hundred times and then field-stripped again and put more oil.

There was a bit of grit between the slide stop lever and frame. But that was the only place I detected it.

The oil that came with the gun feels and smells suspiciously like motor oil. I know a lot of guys use motor oil on their guns - especially M1. I like the idea of an oil with lots of moly for a gun.

Off to the range!

Happy to say I experienced no malfunctions of any kind!

In fact, the Heritage was running so well that I decided to cheat a little bit and ended up shooting 100 rounds (DW recommends cleaning and re-lubing every 50 rounds during break-in).

I printed off some targets and shot several 5-round groups and a couple of 8-round groups, all from 33 feet (the max distance at the indoor range), off-hand.

Refer to photo at the start of this thread for types of ammo used.

The gun took some getting used to; I took my Browning HiPower along and shot a couple of mags through that for a warm-up, and for comparison. Both are really sweet shooters, with great single-action triggers. The BHP trigger is about double the pull weight of the DW, but there's no creep or grit, and it breaks clean. Of course it almost goes without saying that the DW has a wonderful trigger - and that's a big part of why I bought the gun. The trigger did not disappoint.

Interestingly, the DW seemed to "settle in" at about the 80-round mark, and the groups seemed to start tightening up. Of course, I was also getting more comfortable with the pistol.

Hard to say at this point whether it demonstrates any marked preference for one of the four kinds of ammo I used.

Headed out for a (cold) trail run now, and, hopefully later I won't be too tired to hit the range again!

It's going to be fun learning to shoot this pistol and what ammo it likes.

I'll post some photos of the groups I shot later.

Man, this 1911 is a joy to operate... I'm even getting a kick out of field-stripping, cleaning, and lubricating it! Each time I field-strip it, I'm amazed at the machining and fitting that Dan Wesson has done on this handgun. Everything is just perfect - especially the slide-frame fit.

I tell you what, it's true what they say - there's really a Swiss watch-type feeling of precision that you get in the operation of a good 1911-style pistol. The good snap when you drive the magazine home with the heel of your palm (more on that later), the crisp snick of engaging and disengaging the safety catch, and the precise mechanical thunk when you press the slide lock lever and allow the slide to go home, slingshotting a big 230-grain round into the chamber, are all very satisfying. And, it goes without saying that the good ole single-action trigger is in a class by itself.

I have been to the range 3 times already! Twice yesterday and once tonight. The first time, I fired 100 rounds, came home and cleaned and lubed the gun (the ceiling over my dining room table now has a little grease spot that will always remind me to keep my finger over the recoil spring plug when I remove the barrel bushing...haha...). Then I went back later and fired 115 more rounds, another clean & lube, then back to the range today (luckily I have a membership at Guns & Leather and they have a location 5 min away) for another 100 rounds.

Two of the times, I've taken my HiPower along for comparison, though tonight, I had one of the set screws in the rear target sight on the HiPower come loose (all of a sudden the gun started shooting really low and I was like what the heck!), so I only got a couple of mags through it tonight.

Both the HiPower and the Heritage are really sweet shooters in their own right. In past shooting, I've found the HiPower to be very accurate, with groups smaller than my fist (haven't actually measured groups I've shot with it) at 50-60 feet no problem. Of course, the HiPower is made by Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FNH or FN) of Belgium, a company that has had a rep for quality for a long time. As far as quality, I'd say the two guns are similar. The Dan Wesson has its slide fit much tighter, but the HiPower is a service pistol that requires no break-in to be reliable. The few hangups I remember with the BHP were when the gun was dirty and/or I was shooting cheap, Russian-made, steel-cased ammo (the MecGar mags of the BHP don't care much for steel-cased ammo, but they do fine with aluminum). Of course the Dan Wesson has a sweet, 4-lb trigger with no creep or grit. The BHP also has no creep or grit. I'm not sure what the pull weight on it is, but, despite being single-action, it's a military/police service pistol, so the trigger is fairly heavy. Probably about 8 lbs.

I'd say I still shoot the BHP a little better than the 1911 at this point. The BHP has one of the best grips of any handgun I've ever handled, and, of course, there's little recoil, being a full-sized 9mm pistol. I really like the HiPower. The trigger is one that takes a bit of practice, but once you've shot it quite a bit, it grows on you. I'd say most people wouldn't pick the gun up and be able to hit really well with it, right off the bat, like I've seen people do with Glocks.

I still haven't shot one of the new-generation, Uber-polymer pistols with really light, good striker-fired triggers yet, such as the Walther PPQ, HK VP9, even the Ruger SR9... (I do own 2 Glocks - a G20 and a G36. I find the triggers on those guns to be OK - just a little soft, definitely, when compared to the crisp, steel single-action triggers of the all-steel, hammer-fired Dan Wesson and Browning HiPower.) It would be interesting to do a comparo against one or two of those new striker-fired handguns that have such great striker-fired triggers. I would probably bet that most people would probably be able to pick up a VP9, PPQ or even a Glock and hit better right away than with a BHP or a 1911.

Of course there's more recoil with the .45 ACP, though it's not a sharp recoil - more like a shove. The muzzle does jump more. It feels like it has a higher bore axis than the BHP.

Anyway, enough rambling - Here's a shot of some of my groups yesterday and today. Best I seem to have done is maybe a little over an inch. All groups were fired from a standing position, off-hand, at a distance of what I am told is 33 feet (that's the max distance at this indoor range, and there are no markers for distance - I inquired as to what the max distance was, and was told 33 ft).

Hard to say right now if the gun prefers any load over another - I feel I'm not consistent enough and that adds too much of a variable. Need to do some bench-rest shooting for that. By the way, I haven't really done much of that with a handgun, so if any of you have, I'm open to suggestions. However, interestingly enough, I am seemingly getting pretty fair results with the Federal aluminum-cased 230-gr. FMJ, which is also the cheapest ammo I've shot ($15/50 rounds at WalMart). I've also shot Federal American Eagle 230, Blazer Brass 230, Perfecta 230, and Remington UMC 185 (that Remington has flat points and really cuts a nice round hole in the paper, which I like). I'd say the Perfecta is the most inconsistent so-far. Also shot a few assorted hollowpoints I had laying around.

All groups shown are 5 rounds, from 33 feet. All these are FMJ. Looks like my best 2 groups so far are with the Federal aluminum-case 230-gr.

Inner spot is 1", first ring is 2", outer ring is 3".

Oh, about the magazines - when I load 8 rounds into the magazines, they won't fit in the gun. If I lock the slide back and then insert the mag, and then let the slide go home, it will chamber the round, and feed, no problem. AND if I load 7 rounds in the magazine, it will fit in the gun with the slide in battery. But a fully-loaded mag (8 rounds) will not fit in the gun with the slide closed.

What do you guys think is the issue? A friend said to leave the mags loaded and let the springs take a set. But with 8 rounds in these magazines, they're tight as a drum. I don't see it helping anything to let the springs loosen up.

Oh, about the magazines - when I load 8 rounds into the magazines, they won't fit in the gun. If I lock the slide back and then insert the mag, and then let the slide go home, it will chamber the round, and feed, no problem. AND if I load 7 rounds in the magazine, it will fit in the gun with the slide in battery. But a fully-loaded mag (8 rounds) will not fit in the gun with the slide closed.

What do you guys think is the issue? A friend said to leave the mags loaded and let the springs take a set. But with 8 rounds in these magazines, they're tight as a drum. I don't see it helping anything to let the springs loosen up.

It won't "fit in the gun" because you're fighting the magazine spring with the slide closed. Which is already fully compressed.

And as was mentioned, leaving magazines loaded will not cause them to "take a set". What weakens magazine springs is use. Cycling them from loaded (compressed), to unloaded, (relaxed). Over time they will relax slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back