The tale of the Dan Wesson Razorback

...I believe DW factory mags are Metalforms.

Eh, I think you are right in this case, got my "M" Companies mixed up. Never had any luck with either one of them.

DW has definitely used Checkmate more recentely.

Not sure if they are still using Checkmate.

If it were my pistol, I would seek out Checkmates with welded bases, hybrid lips and dimpled checkmate followers. Out of the 3 posted the Wilson is the closest.

FWIW Keith (KeithDW) has re appeared on 1911forum... So he is still there at DW.

Great to read that the DW is fixed and running well.

I have to admit to being very envious. That is a handsome pistol and it is chambered in a great cartridge.

I’m pleased as well.

Dan Wesson did fix it, and quickly, without any change to the tight fit.

The Gun shoots great...very nice trigger. Excellent accuracy.

I used Wilson Combat Ultima Lube and with the right mags, it handled several brands of ammo. With about 200 rounds through it, we’re not quite broken in, but I’m looking forward to shooting and enjoying it now, instead of dreading a problem.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and insights. I appreciate them all.

Cheers,
Astro

I'm glad that DW finally took care of what they should have in the first place. Now the ugly part is over and the initial results sure appear stellar. The end result is the most important.

Lots of us here have been around firearms for many years. CLP and wipe out are my main cleaning products but you don't often see me endorse many specific firearm lubes. There is a high end light grease that I find to be THAT good its worth a pic and a shout out. I use it on SA, S&W, SA, Kimber, Alchemy 1911's and also my Sig's and HK rails.

I haven't had any issues with the 2 SA mags that came with my TRP 10mm but I also use WC mags and they are $$ but reliable and long lasting. Happy shooting Astro!

SlideGlide.jpg

Thanks!

I’ve heard of it. I’m always up for trying something new. I’ve got TW-25 grease, Mobil 1 and Lubriplate for the Garands, and Wilson Combat “grease” which is really just a heavy oil.

I spend a lot on guns, and a lot on ammo. Buying a new lube is a minor expense, so I’ll give it a try.

Cheers!

Thanks!

I’ve heard of it. I’m always up for trying something new. I’ve got TW-25 grease, Mobil 1 and Lubriplate for the Garands, and Wilson Combat “grease” which is really just a heavy oil.

I spend a lot on guns, and a lot on ammo. Buying a new lube is a minor expense, so I’ll give it a try.

Cheers!

I think you will indeed like it. :)

I should add that I used a Wilson Combat magazine. S&B ammo (which caused both of my 10mm 1911s problems in the last).

No reason to continue searching for the root cause of malfunctions now that I’ve got a reliable combination.

The gun is good with Wilson magazines.

Back