Picked Up My First 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I decided to take it to the range and see how it performed after the years. All was just fine. I then derusted and cleaned it up. I think it's still in his son's nightstand.

Actually a very bad idea. The bodies are subject to cracking The $3000+ value drops to "Paper Weight" Value.

I wonder does the DW have the firing pin block?
Is the old .45 a Colt, a lot of the WWII stuff was made by a typewriter company.

BTW, I'd be real careful about posting about a firearm you obtained out of the usual channels, it may be the only one you manage to keep if the left succeeds in an Australian style gun grab because there is no paper trail. Think about it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
BTW, I'd be real careful about posting about a firearm you obtained out of the usual channels, it may be the only one you manage to keep if the left succeeds in an Australian style gun grab because there is no paper trail. Think about it.

What happened in Australia will not happen here unless they abolish the Second Amendment. They won't because they can't.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Very nice looking piece!!

After you have some trigger time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Hi Power vs. the 1911 as a larger version of the P938. I want to get a larger range/home defense gun that has similar controls as the carry P938. I understand that the P938 is patterned after 1911s, so that makes the most sense, but I love the history of a Hi Power, plus I like that it was designed as a 9mm. (If I got a 1911, it would likely be officer or commander sized 9mm)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Ed, the answer to that is very simple. You see what I ended up with - BOTH!
smile.gif

I was afraid that would be the answer! That's some fantastic shooting, by the way!

When you compare the Hi-Power to the 1911, the first thing that will come up is grip size. Just as it always does comparing double stacks to single stacks. Those with large hands will prefer the Hi-Power. Smaller framed hands will like the slimmer frame of the 1911 more.

I have and shoot multiples of both, and like both. Just as I like Glocks, 1911's, and most every other make of service pistol. But I'm adaptable. Many shooters are not.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I decided to take it to the range and see how it performed after the years. All was just fine. I then derusted and cleaned it up. I think it's still in his son's nightstand.

Actually a very bad idea. The bodies are subject to cracking The $3000+ value drops to "Paper Weight" Value.

I wonder does the DW have the firing pin block?

I thought the DW was a 70 series copy...and every review that I've read about the DW has been exceptionally positive....I've got my eye on a 1911 next, but there are so many guns...and so little time to buy them all...

For the OP; that's a great looking gun!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I thought the DW was a 70 series copy...and every review that I've read about the DW has been exceptionally positive....I've got my eye on a 1911 next, but there are so many guns...and so little time to buy them all...

For the OP; that's a great looking gun!

I think you are right after trolling the internet. My Commander was a series 80. I converted it to a series 70 and shortly sold it. I traded it in at a dealer and included the original series parts.

Ultimately if I were carrying it I would put the "80" pieces back in. That's just me.

I know what you are saying. I had my 1911 fix. I would never buy another one.

All the Dan Wessons are Series 70.

The firing pin block adds something else that has to be engaged by the trigger, therefore diminishing the quality of the trigger pull.

All the Dan Wessons are Series 70.

The firing pin block adds something else that has to be engaged by the trigger, therefore diminishing the quality of the trigger pull.

You won't feel the difference. At least I couldn't

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Here is my Valor and some groups I got testing it out:

That's awesome, Chris B. What distance were those groups shot at? Bench rest or off-hand?

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with mine.

Trying to decide whether I should detail-strip the gun before test firing. At the very least, it has to be field-stripped and cleaned and lubed.

Not concerned about the field-stripping, but I've never detail-stripped a firearm. Anything to be concerned with about detail-stripping? Is there anything that can get out of adjustment?

Not concerned about the field-stripping, but I've never detail-stripped a firearm. Anything to be concerned with about detail-stripping? Is there anything that can get out of adjustment?

If you haven't fired it yet, I wouldn't go beyond a simple field strip and lube. Why attempt to fix what isn't broke? You could end up generating more problems than you could solve.

. Anything to be concerned with about detail-stripping? Is there anything that can get out of adjustment?

Don't do it just yet. Just not necessary. I have disassembled dozens of times. I know there is an urge to do it but wait a while.Lots of good video's on the subject.

Put a piece of tape on frame on the left side of the plunger that holds the slide stop in place to you avoid the idiot scratch. But frankly I don't give a rats [censored] about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: billt460

If you haven't fired it yet, I wouldn't go beyond a simple field strip and lube. Why attempt to fix what isn't broke? You could end up generating more problems than you could solve.

Well, the reason I'm considering a full detail strip is that a guy in the Dan Wesson sub-forum over on 1911forum.com, who has the same pistol, that also has a similar serial no. to mine (made around the same time) detail stripped his and found some sand in there.

Honestly, I'd cover the rails with the included lubricant without disassembly and shoot it unless you feel grit in it.

DW does not crimp the plunger spring or have a retainer tab on the recoil spring plug, so keep that in mind when dissambling.

Detail disassembly of a 1911 is not hard, but it can be a bit of a learning curve.

You won't have to deal with an ambi, FLGR or magwell, but this should get you through:

You normally won't find any love from me on the 1911 platform, but that is a nice looking TARGET gun. Looks sweet.

Just lube it and shoot it. Wouldn't worry about the detail strip until you shoot it a lot.

Mark your magazines so can keep track of them when it jams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back