Picked Up My First 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Browning HiPower for about a year and a half now, and love it, both as a range gun and a historical/conversation piece (I don't buy guns to sit in the safe).

Always wanted a 1911, and became intrigued with the Dan Wesson 1911s after seeing an Internet reviewer (Sootch00) test the Dan Wesson CCO (Commander-length slide on an aluminum alloy Officer-sized frame.

Since I'd never had a 1911, I figured I'd go with a full-sized Government model for my first.

A lot of you guys are familiar with Dan Wesson. For those who aren't, DW started in the 1960s as a manufacturer of high-end revolvers. Fast-forward to the early part of this century and DW had gone through some issues and changed hands, moved their factory, etc, and was finally bought out by CZ in 2005, which most consider to be a good thing.

Anyway, their claim to fame with their 1911s is that they're widely considered to be the nicest production 1911 on the market, with quality and a level of fit & finish that approaches, and, in some cases, meets or exceeds, that of a semi-custom 1911 from one of the shops such as Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. They range from about $1050-4000. All fire control system parts are machined from barstock, and there are no MIM parts in any of their guns, from the entry-level Heritage, which I bought, to their top model.

Video of detail strip on the gun I got:

I like the bare-bones design of the Heritage. No big billboard on the slide... Truly everything you need and nothing you don't!

Looking forward to Monday when I'll be able to take it to the range and start the break-in process (the gun is tight, and DW recommends cleaning and lubing prior to shooting for the first time, and every 50 rounds up to several hundred rounds fired).

Some of the ammo I'm going to run through

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I really like the clean look of your 1911. I don't like slides with a bunch of lettering or numbering.

Not too long ago I joined the 1911 club (Springfield Range Officer).

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Perfecta ammo. Have seen it locally but have not tried it.

I bought and still own a DW from the 80's. Super accurate and reliable 6 gun. I would buy one of their .45's in a heartbeat.

Enjoy

Mostly off topic, but reminds me of helping to clear out a relatives attic upon the transition to the 'elder care' world. I found a loaded and holstered WW2 wartime production govt model. The relative was an Army classified document courier and was able to keep and then stash the .45 away at wars end. It was surface rusted but the internals were still oiled and the mag was loaded with 1917 headstamp ammo. I decided to take it to the range and see how it performed after the years. All was just fine. I then derusted and cleaned it up. I think it's still in his son's nightstand.

Dan Wesson 1911 are Wilson Combat Quality at a Kimber price . They are the best value on the market.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Sexy!! What did you pay?

It was on GunBroker from Osage County Guns for $1049 "buy it now". That's what I paid, plus 3% for charging it instead of paying cash, plus $35 shipping (it arrived in 2 days), $16 shipping insurance, plus $35 to my FFL for transfer fee & background check.

I went to Gun Broker and saw that Osage has raised the price $50 since I bought mine. I must have been the only person to have bought a Heritage from them in the last year, because that's about how long I've been watching their auction and the price never changed until now. I bid on another one that started at $950, but I got up close to what Osage wanted and still never hit the reserve, so said screw it and bought from Osage.

Osage is pretty good to deal with. That's the 2nd gun I bought from them (1st was a Sig P938), and they have shipped the same day I bought it both times.

My only complaint is, they won't give out the serial number of a gun before you buy it.

Very nice looking piece!!

After you have some trigger time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Hi Power vs. the 1911 as a larger version of the P938. I want to get a larger range/home defense gun that has similar controls as the carry P938. I understand that the P938 is patterned after 1911s, so that makes the most sense, but I love the history of a Hi Power, plus I like that it was designed as a 9mm. (If I got a 1911, it would likely be officer or commander sized 9mm)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Very nice looking piece!!

After you have some trigger time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Hi Power vs. the 1911 as a larger version of the P938. I want to get a larger range/home defense gun that has similar controls as the carry P938. I understand that the P938 is patterned after 1911s, so that makes the most sense, but I love the history of a Hi Power, plus I like that it was designed as a 9mm. (If I got a 1911, it would likely be officer or commander sized 9mm)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Ed, the answer to that is very simple. You see what I ended up with - BOTH!
smile.gif

I've owned Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown and Dan Wesson. I feel Dan Wesson makes the best 1911. Ed Brown is as good but a much higher price. They are all nice but the Dan Wesson has such a high level of fit and finish regardless of the price it is the best made 1911 I have seen. Also 100% reliable which is not usually the case for tight 1911's.

Originally Posted By: Fastzntn
Very nice! I really like the clean look of your 1911. I don't like slides with a bunch of lettering or numbering.

Not too long ago I joined the 1911 club (Springfield Range Officer).

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Perfecta ammo. Have seen it locally but have not tried it.

Thanks for the comments!

How do you like your SARO?

The Perfecta is just fine. I've shot plenty of the 9mm. At $10/box at Walmart, it's my preferred 9mm plinking ammo. Haven't tried the .45 ACP yet.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I bought and still own a DW from the 80's. Super accurate and reliable 6 gun. I would buy one of their .45's in a heartbeat.

Enjoy

Thanks! Really cool that you have a DW wheel gun. You should post a couple of photos.

I've heard that guys used to buy them because they were thought to be more accurate (precise) than Smith & Wesson.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Mostly off topic, but reminds me of helping to clear out a relatives attic upon the transition to the 'elder care' world. I found a loaded and holstered WW2 wartime production govt model. The relative was an Army classified document courier and was able to keep and then stash the .45 away at wars end. It was surface rusted but the internals were still oiled and the mag was loaded with 1917 headstamp ammo. I decided to take it to the range and see how it performed after the years. All was just fine. I then derusted and cleaned it up. I think it's still in his son's nightstand.

Cool story!

Man, for a gun nut, that's the find of a lifetime!

I decided to take it to the range and see how it performed after the years. All was just fine. I then derusted and cleaned it up. I think it's still in his son's nightstand.

Actually a very bad idea. The bodies are subject to cracking The $3000+ value drops to "Paper Weight" Value.

I wonder does the DW have the firing pin block?

Last edited:

Did you shoot the 1917 ammo in its original magazine and did they all go boom? I ask because I see some folks on gun forums talking about mag springs taking a set, and how old can ammo be and still be good. BTW, I hope son does not leave it in the leather holster; thats why it rusted as leather absorbs moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back