Pick one car if you had to made it last the rest of your life.

I'd probably keep the 4Runner. It might just last the rest of my life.

IMG_20200417_191426.jpg

Last edited:
Datsun B-210, 4 speed. Why not? So slow it had to redline for every shift, poor brakes and just overall ugly.
But like some kind of nasty insect it couldn't be killed. Believe me I tried. I think if cared for it could last forever.
The Datsun 1200, before the B-210, was a great car. Super fun to drive with a half decent set of radials.

Datsun B-210, 4 speed. Why not? So slow it had to redline for every shift, poor brakes and just overall ugly.
But like some kind of nasty insect it couldn't be killed. Believe me I tried. I think if cared for it could last forever.
And after all the regular car engines are worn out, you could repower it with a garden tractor engine. :)

1985 GMC K2500. In stock form, maybe a strange pick, but...

Massive aftermarket, bottomless engine/trans/axle combinations, can tow, haul, hit the 'skidder roads to deer camp, and commute. It may not be the most comfortable at everything, but it'll do just about anything I'd need a vehicle to do.

Mid 80s VW GTI.

I've got enough parts in house to keep one alive for a few decades.

Owned and witnessed many VW 8 valve engines with well north of 300k miles with nothing touched other than water pumps and timing belts. Heck Bosch alternators would last 300k with a set of brushes.

On my 65 VW Beetle, It has the last of the 40hp motors and it was bought in England by a school teacher and brought back to the US. It was still a running motor when I replaced it with a single port 1600 motor with 12 Volt system and all the required changes to the bellhousing and wiper motor and bulbs. I still have the original motor but it is needing a rebuild due to crankshaft end play is beyond specs. I currently have all the necessary parts to rebuild it including a new crankshaft and bearings. The case will need an align bore to straighten it all back up. It still runs good but has the annoying knock when first started from the end play till the oil pressure arrives. My wife really likes the extra HP of the single port 1600 motor. Her job as a teacher required traveling an interstate entrance ramp that was up a steep hill. Those extra 17 HP came in very handy and it still gets over 30mpg. The cam has bearings and the push rods are different lengths from older 40hp's but not the same as 1300's It has the Square rocker pedestals like all later motors. The heater boxes are different on it too since it will heat you out and defrost very well. It has been our one that runs and goes when nothing else will.

Lastly, I need to call out the responder who specified a 1993 Chevy S-10, Manual. I assume that the choice is based on what is currently in the driveway, but holy smokes it is a wack choice.
No more wacky than some of the other picks in this thread. We used to have a '91, and sometimes I really miss it. I was never a "gotta have a truck!" kind of guy but the little S-10s sure were a nice size. Super handy.

If I could bankroll it, it'd for sure be a brand new Porsche 911T, manual of course, with i) a receiver tube type trailer hitch; and ii) a Porsche engineered roof rack system ("car transport system")...plus my hot-dip galvanized utility trailer...

20171214_121918.jpg

20171214_121806.jpg

Back